Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Nice to see Kev with the Michael Fabricant look tonight for the Westclox Extravaganza Show.

View attachment 29237
Ahhh, Westclox.
My old dad was a very heavy sleeper - especially on days when he’d been ‘playing darts’ the night before. Anyhow, one weekend I borrowed his alarm clock - he wanted a lie-in and I had a Saturday job (id’ve been about 16 or so).
I left it set for 6-30 which is what he always did, and went to sleep.
The next morning I thought we were under nuclear attack. There was a Klaxon going off at about the same volume as Concorde when the afterburners were lit, and the lights were flashing on and off every second. Other than that, everything was pitch dark, because it was winter.
I had no bedside stand, so the clock was on the floor, which was my final mistake….
Groggy, almost still asleep but acting on instinct, and heart suddenly pumping like never before, I flew out of bed, kicked the glass shade off the lamp that was flashing on and off, and stood firmly on the hot, glass, 60w candle bulb. The bulb glass shattered and to the sound of the Klaxon, and the pop of the bulb, I was given 240volts through the prongs into the arch of my foot, along with shards of glass. The fuses blew, the room went dark, and my smouldering foot now started to drip…

And I got sacked from the job because I turned up two hours late, after getting my foot stitched back together (ten stitches!) at casualty.

The clock was this one….below, or one very similar. A westclox from the late 70s, or early 80s. I don’t know what possessed them to make it that loud, or to have it flashing the lights on and off, or to have a klaxon rather than a bell or a beep, but that combined effect was just like a thermonuclear attack. I guess it might’ve been a special for deep sleepers or something.

All gone now, sadly, my dad, the house, and the clock.
But I’m not sad about the clock.

Attachments

• IMG_7073.jpeg
    IMG_7073.jpeg
    375.9 KB · Views: 0
It's £345, £100 cheaper at Kev's site.

Although Iguana are selling it at £314.

Iguana Sell are great, as well.
Based in Madrid, their customer service is very good indeed - and their prices include all shipping and taxes.
They have a good range of fountain pens as well. It’s a good idea to register on their site, because their sale prices are the ones to go for.

We are often mentioning how bad the price comparisons are but i think i've found one which just confirms how incompetent and dumb IW staff must be. :eek: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

The Procamp 1L Thermos flask IW £9.99.

pc2.JPG

They did a DIRECT comparison price and had £47.40, exact same flask declares Mason, what a saving for a quality flask.

So i went searching the internet to find this £47.40 flask, found one at £7, one at 8 euros but heck if i could find one at £47.40.

Well i did find the £47.40 price at a wholesaler, but that ain't for one, that is for a pack of 12. o_O:ROFLMAO:

pc1.JPG

Ahhh, Westclox.
My old dad was a very heavy sleeper - especially on days when he’d been ‘playing darts’ the night before. Anyhow, one weekend I borrowed his alarm clock - he wanted a lie-in and I had a Saturday job (id’ve been about 16 or so).
The next morning I thought we were under nuclear attack. There was a Klaxon going off at about the same volume as Concorde when the afterburners were lit, and the lights were flashing on and off every second. Other than that, everything was pitch dark, because it was winter.
I had no bedside stand, so the clock was on the floor, which was my final mistake….
Groggy, almost still asleep but acting on instinct, and heart suddenly pumping like never before, I flew out of bed, kicked the glass shade off the lamp that was flashing on and off, and stood firmly on the hot, glass, 60w candle bulb. The bulb glass shattered and to the sound of the Klaxon, and the pop of the bulb, I was given 240volts through the prongs into the arch of my foot, along with shards of glass. The fuses blew, the room went dark, and my smouldering foot now started to drip…

And I got sacked from the job because I turned up two hours late, after getting my foot stitched back together (ten stitches!) at casualty.

The clock was this one….below, or one very similar. A westclox from the late 70s, or early 80s. I don’t know what possessed them to make it that loud, or to have it flashing the lights on and off, or to have a klaxon rather than a bell or a beep, but that combined effect was just like a thermonuclear attack. I guess it might’ve been a special for deep sleepers or something.

Just tested my old one out - the clock!! Damn thing used to wake the dead.

Attachments

• 20240801_071633~2.jpg
    20240801_071633~2.jpg
    545.2 KB · Views: 0
I see Piranha is on Create and Craft this evening.

Did have a laugh at Den on Create and Craft last night, she was doing a hour on her own, selling card, she made a box and said that’s for my daughters birthday tomorrow to put money in, this box wasn’t even decorated it was just white

We are often mentioning how bad the price comparisons are but i think i've found one which just confirms how incompetent and dumb IW staff must be. :eek: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 29246

They did a DIRECT comparison price and had £47.40, exact same flask declares Mason, what a saving for a quality flask.

So i went searching the internet to find this £47.40 flask, found one at £7, one at 8 euros but heck if i could find one at £47.40.

Well i did find the £47.40 price at a wholesaler, but that ain't for one, that is for a pack of 12. o_O:ROFLMAO:

View attachment 29244
So basicaally they are worth about £4

Sometimes you think they are genuinely conning people. And sometimes you think they are conning people unintentionally, through incompetence.

Oh It's definitely the former, but with incompetence. There is nothing unintentional about their conning people, it's just they are crap (incompetent) at it. They are just incompetent, dumb shysters. ;)

I'm sure I remember Dirty Peter and OftheMasons flogging cheap sunglasses - could do with a pair to cope with the reflection off the forehead of the "beauty" expert.
It really is quite something. Patio doors have a lot to answer for.
A wonder they're not using it as a sales gimmick - "Our prices reflect amazing value" "Shine like our foreheads when you see how little things cost"

Wrong price ALERT, fake shock ALERT. ;) :ROFLMAO:

Kev in shock at price £329.99 for N1 rocket, someone has pressed the wrong button, Mike says shouldn't be anywhere near that price.

Very true Mike, PVD one £319.99 and Stainless Steel one is £265 on Kev's site.

I wonder if they realise just how laughable and cheap it makes them appear when they come out with this guff numerous times a day? Just makes them look even more like market stall sellers. Jokes aside I can't get my head around it, actually I can ;) but you know what I mean.

When I was a lad the shows (funfair) that came to town once a year had stalls with folk selling stuff. So you'd maybe see something like this:

Roll up roll up, I'm not selling these five luxury towels for twenty quid missus, not even for a tenner. They're yours for just a fiver missus, A FIVER!!! I got them from a luxury London store that had to close down last week, that's true that is, so grab yourself some London luxury!!! These usually retail for FIFTY quid for the five, I kid you not!!!

Now seeing that once a year, especially in a pre Internet era, to an extent folk lapped it up. Part performance, part retail. And maybe some did think they were getting fifty quid towels for a fiver.

However, imagine if those same shows came to town once a month and you heard this from the same guy each and every time:

I got them from a luxury London store that had to close down last week, that's true that is, so grab yourself some London luxury!!!

To me, that's the equivalent of what the likes of IW do, trotting out the guff time after time.

Ahhh, Westclox.

My bog standard Westclox alarm that I bought in the 70s still worked fine until I dropped it on the floor three weeks ago. I doubt if the alarm was even 1 decibel. Had to throw away.

View attachment 29246

View attachment 29244
I bought a litre Thermos from Amazon last week, it was £10. Needed a 500ml one and bought that from Tesco for £5. Why do IW have such stupid prices and price comparisons?

Latest posts

Back