Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I wonder if they realise just how laughable and cheap it makes them appear when they come out with this guff numerous times a day? Just makes them look even more like market stall sellers. Jokes aside I can't get my head around it, actually I can ;) but you know what I mean.

When I was a lad the shows (funfair) that came to town once a year had stalls with folk selling stuff. So you'd maybe see something like this:

Roll up roll up, I'm not selling these five luxury towels for twenty quid missus, not even for a tenner. They're yours for just a fiver missus, A FIVER!!! I got them from a luxury London store that had to close down last week, that's true that is, so grab yourself some London luxury!!! These usually retail for FIFTY quid for the five, I kid you not!!!

Now seeing that once a year, especially in a pre Internet era, to an extent folk lapped it up. Part performance, part retail. And maybe some did think they were getting fifty quid towels for a fiver.

However, imagine if those same shows came to town once a month and you heard this from the same guy each and every time:

I got them from a luxury London store that had to close down last week, that's true that is, so grab yourself some London luxury!!!

To me, that's the equivalent of what the likes of IW do, trotting out the guff time after time.
When I was a kid, people like OfTheMasons would roll up to a local hall.
I remember watching as they handed out bundles of towels before revealing the price - just like, don't wait for the price, get your phone your hand.
Then, there'd be "You want how many? Sorry missus, you can only have two. I don't care home many kids you have - nothing to do with me, honest guv".
Next there would be the "not 20, not 15, if I said 10 you'd kiss me, but yes, today, just for you, a fiver, but we only have 20 sets" (aka 'these are flying out, good luck if you get one')

Within a short time: "What Charlie? What? You plonker! Ok, Charlie has found some more round the back - he's getting his cards.

Exactly the same principles as IW. I can see OfTheMasons or Dirty Peter on that stage.

When I was a kid, people like OfTheMasons would roll up to a local hall.
I remember watching as they handed out bundles of towels before revealing the price - just like, don't wait for the price, get your phone your hand.
Then, there'd be "You want how many? Sorry missus, you can only have two. I don't care home many kids you have - nothing to do with me, honest guv".
Next there would be the "not 20, not 15, if I said 10 you'd kiss me, but yes, today, just for you, a fiver, but we only have 20 sets" (aka 'these are flying out, good luck if you get one')

Within a short time: "What Charlie? What? You plonker! Ok, Charlie has found some more round the back - he's getting his cards.

Exactly the same principles as IW. I can see OfTheMasons or Dirty Peter on that stage.
As a kid, grew up around a area with a corner shop
Is that the scary barbie from the end of toy story 2 😳
Looks more like Ken from the group Aqua

Joking aside, they seem to operate in a sort of parallel universe where such competitors simply don't exist.
That's why we constantly hear- "these are flying out", "lots of callers on the line", "good luck if you get one", "go, go, go", "Only 32 left", "a clearance price", "I don't know when you might see these again".

They create an illusion of demand and scarcity.
The sales techniques are based on emotion. Some people do worry about missing out.

We've had to tell my auntie Maggie not to "jump on the phone".

How he sits there espousing great value and feigning mortified shock at some of the ‘LOW’ prices quoted this evening, I have no idea. He must know his own website is selling examples cheaper than here. Why does he need to do this - come on this channel? Can’t he make as much selling via other methods? Ego trip, or he makes money from doing it?
I would say a combo. But having your face on TV is good marketing. He can talk about that in his about us. Anyone talking about your product is good for sales

I see Piranha is on Create and Craft this evening.

Did have a laugh at Den on Create and Craft last night, she was doing a hour on her own, selling card, she made a box and said that’s for my daughters birthday tomorrow to put money in, this box wasn’t even decorated it was just white
she should get out a sharpie and draw a '£' on the side ;)

Doing sumfink is better than doing nuffink. So says Mike O'the Masons.

Not only a fashion leader and health guru, not only a musical genius, not only a food connoisseur, not only a man of the people, not only an honest salesman and purveyor of the truth but also a veritable philosopher of our time.

Note that I finished a "not only" list with a "but also" statement.

Are you listening Peter Bleedin' Simon???

Latest posts

Back