Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Lame? He did 4 years at RADA to be that good! :mysmilie_17:
No surprises here.

Old De Knees was contradicting herself yesterday too. She was selling a shat, well overpriced duvet and said that 'you couldn't buy a decent winter coat for this price' yet days earlier she was shilling some cheap & nasty winter coats for miles less.

Come to think of it maybe she wasn't contradicting herself? She did say a decent winter coat.

Very Creepy Crawley is now shilling the dismal duvet, 'ooh it's luxury, luxuriously luxury deluxe meducks with extra luxury premium luxuriousness and ooh it's so full, so plump'.

Good grief he's lame :mysmilie_59:

Don't the pair of them(Creepy and Shrek) look the epitome of dodgy salesmen? The kind of people that knock on your door and you set the dog on.Creepy has a face like a smacked a***.

:mysmilie_7:

Addendum:I have never set a dog upon salesmen and none have ever to my knowledge been injured .
To be honest, I think I would prefer to deal with "SWISS TONY", than those two!

I would like to thank Mr Tom for this thread, 400 pages and still going strong, well done for starting the thread.

Good on you :mysmilie_59::clapping:

Thank you. I know it has probably killed the amount of lots of smaller threads in this part of the forum, but the amount of times I have something to say about qvc and there is nowhere to put it in there (and quite frankly it is not worthy of its own thread as it is a one off observation etc)

Amit is something else Tom! Amazed he gets away with it

Seen George a few times a vile presenter if ever there was one.

Salleh going mental about the pie maker. Agree doubt they sold one ever for 80 quid 35 delivered seems a fair enough price.

"It's so busehhh it really is"

Then spends 5 minutes imploring anyone to buy one

I am convinced Amit is a shyster... he used to make sure he is in every ****** advert in some form. Not so much now admittedly but still.

I used to complain on qvc and IW that they should get more behind the scenes people on, as they are more likely to have actual product knowledge as opposed to the 'guests' and 'experts' otherwise known as ''out of work actors and singers'' however after seeing Amit, I just wish they'd all **** off.

Thank you. I know it has probably killed the amount of lots of smaller threads in this part of the forum, but the amount of times I have something to say about qvc and there is nowhere to put it in there (and quite frankly it is not worthy of its own thread as it is a one off observation etc)

Very true! Sounds like a pantechnicon thread is also needed over on the QVC part of the forum too.

I tried it about two years ago, it died quickly... there is too much one off crap in there, so it sank off the first page never to return haha.

Give it time... the way things are going it's a concept that whose time will come... might take a few years yet, though.

One of the reasons it works so well on IW is the paucity of novelty in the products on air... and the consistently ludicrous way these products are presented to us... the quality of the on-air presence does a disservice to other products which never make it off the the website onto our TV screens.

While we have previously suffered pangs of indignation over the antics of the prominent ex-Bid presenters in separate threads... we've seen the competition ramped up by the "originals" in the general race to the bottom in presentational style... and a general thread about this rolling train-wreck is totally appropriate.

QVC have yet to get there. I think more of the participants are regular shoppers with the channel, rather than occasional ones... and still watching... and QVC themselves do provide novelties like new hair and makeup stylists (not necessarily an improvement) and less than subtle changes in the "calls to action" which have obviously been the output of brainstorming sessions.

I think QVC suffer the opposite of IW... more of the QVC range is on air, so there are less undiscovered gems to be found on that channel... on IW it's the case that the on-air products are the tip of the iceberg. IW's website is therefore a real aladdin's cave compared to the predictable output of the QVC website.

The IW forum doesn't serve as an early warning system for the Pick of the Day, because these seem to come round with dizzying regularity... not every month or so but every day or so. I for one am perpetually confused as to what is or isn't the pick of the day.

On QVC we are always in search of the genuine bargain... and in search of reviews of products and experiences of alternatives from forumites rather than the fairly discredited review on QVC's own website.

For me, one of the few pleasures in watching IW has been Loen Love. No Loen, no Love. I've bought occasionally from IW during that time, but (particularly since being on this forum; first lurking, then joining) I've been more influenced by other posters' experiences than anything the disreputable presenters have said about the products.

While there is clearly a depressingly downward slide at both channels, I for one hope they do continue, as much for the lively and entertaining posts of the contributors on both forums as for the sake of the channels themselves.

Who knows, maybe we'll wake up to a day where the powers that be at IW have come to their senses and the increasingly disingenuous sales tactics go out the window... along with the lion's share of their presenters. Maybe there will no longer be a succession of increasingly dubious products shown on air... maybe the variety of different products from their website will be given some airtime? Maybe the gentler fun will return.

One observation I would make from across all the forums here, is that the talent pool for selly telly presenters seems to be a diminishing one. The same faces turn up on each and every channel... as a guest here or a presenter there. Heck, even the models used by selly telly seem to crop up first on one channel then the other.

The ones who can, get out and never return... the others turn up in short bursts on various different channels before returning to obscurity.

Let's face it, ultimately it has to be a dying medium, so why would anyone actively choose to participate in it?

Paul Becque ,who describes himself on his website as 'one of Britain's most trusted presenters ' was selling a duvet today.
He explained that if you buy today 'you are saving £60' and 'that's £60 you could be spending on Christmas presents!'
So go on dad-buy the duvet then you'll have sixty quid to spend on computer games for me!
It doesn't actually work like that son.
So how does it work Paul ?

Paul Becque ,who describes himself on his website as 'one of Britain's most trusted presenters ' was selling a duvet today.
He explained that if you buy today 'you are saving £60' and 'that's £60 you could be spending on Christmas presents!'
So go on dad-buy the duvet then you'll have sixty quid to spend on computer games for me!
It doesn't actually work like that son.
So how does it work Paul ?

Anyone who is in the habit of describing themselves as 'one of Britain's most trusted presenters' should immediately NOT be trusted, especially if they're not so much a presenter as a salesman.

And anyone who has spent the last decade or so shilling crap on the unscrupulous Price Drop TV and the appalling Ideal World should possibly NOT be trusted.

And anyone who arguably resembles a snake oil salesman should perhaps NOT be trusted.

And anyone who has a ridiculous 'stage' name like Becque and whose talent is so limited they have to whoop 'wahey' to get some attention should definitely NOT be trusted.

I can say without fear of contradiction that Paul Becque is NOT 'one of Britain's most trusted presenters' because surely it's a fact that most of Britain have no ****** idea who on earth he is :mysmilie_59:

I can say without fear of contradiction that Paul Becque is NOT 'one of Britain's most trusted presenters' because surely it's a fact that most of Britain have no ****** idea who on earth he is :mysmilie_59:

Apart from my general distrust of salesmen (let alone a fifth-rate one with all the talent and charisma of a parking meter), there are two things in particular I dislike about the man; mainly concerning his stint at Bid TV but still reflect badly on his character as a whole. Firstly, when selling cameras at Bid TV he almost always included his family in his sales pitch, which was especially distasteful given that he had two fairly young children at the time who wouldn't be mature enough to knowingly give their consent to public exposure. And secondly, his limited talents meant that he tended to shout a lot, followed by an apology for the shouting then shouting some more because he literally didn't know any better.

May, I think you are so right here. I'm sure a lot of the presenters want to get off the shopping telly merry-go-round, where they go from one channel to another, because they recognise that the future of shopping telly is limited, to say the least. The standard is really poor, in my view - you've only got to look at the recruitment in the past year at Gemporia, and the old-style presenters, who actually had some personality and charisma, are (in the main) long gone. The fact that IW picked up the Bid rejects says it all, IMO.

{QUOTE FROM Maymorganlondon: One observation I would make from across all the forums here, is that the talent pool for selly telly presenters seems to be a diminishing one. The same faces turn up on each and every channel... as a guest here or a presenter there. Heck, even the models used by selly telly seem to crop up first on one channel then the other.

The ones who can, get out and never return... the others turn up in short bursts on various different channels before returning to obscurity.

Let's face it, ultimately it has to be a dying medium, so why would anyone actively choose to participate in it}

They're selling a 'Tower' Pie Maker. It's £29.99 but WILL go up to £79.99 tomorrow. It's supposedly exclusive to Ideal World.

Of course like all of the 'Tower' electrical range it's just yet another generic, badged up product sold under all manner of names. It's sold by Argos under a 'Kalorik' badge for £39.99, exclusive my hide! I've seen it sold on Amazon under many different guises from anywhere between £30 - £50 but never, ever £80!

http://www.idealworld.tv/354587?icn=Tower-Pie-Maker-Pick-of-the-Day-Main-Banner-1&ici=Main_Banner_1

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1625965.htm

I see Ideal's now billing Billy Bunter Remblance as a "culinary expert" rather than as a chef.

Fancy!

I see Ideal's now billing Billy Bunter Remblance as a "culinary expert" rather than as a chef.

Fancy!

Please.

Roly Poly Remblance is well on his way to out Brodelling BIG BRODEL. Surely even Ideal World aren't hard faced enough to keep letting him bang on about Spiralizing?

I wonder what he's mostly Spiralizing, Steak & Kidney Pudding? :mysmilie_59:

IMG_0215.JPG

Not keen on Paul Becque for some reason....He looks like a creepy version of Reg Varney and he's got a creepy voice. Sorry if this observation is a bit "out of order" - 'cause I guess he can't help what he looks and sounds like, but In stead of hearing "Hello viewers would you like to buy a cheap frying pan" - I hear "ello kiddiwinks, would you like a sweetie?"

Not keen on Paul Becque for some reason....He looks like a creepy version of Reg Varney and he's got a creepy voice. Sorry if this observation is a bit "out of order" - 'cause I guess he can't help what he looks and sounds like, but In stead of hearing "Hello viewers would you like to buy a cheap frying pan" - I hear "ello kiddiwinks, would you like a sweetie?"

That would be "WAHEY kiddiwinks!! WOULD YOU LIKE A SWEETIE? And don't look at my bald patch!"

And he makes Reg Varney appear sincere and humble

That would be "WAHEY kiddiwinks!! WOULD YOU LIKE A SWEETIE? And don't look at my bald patch!"

And he makes Reg Varney appear sincere and humble

Crusty the clown meets Reg Varney in a (not very) hilarious hour of selling over priced tat to gullible people!

Crusty the clown meets Reg Varney in a (not very) hilarious hour of selling over priced tat to gullible people!

Then a quick change into a 100% luxury polyester (with loads of stretch for all you lazy fat gluttons!) comedy racist Chinaman's outfit for an extra gut-churning furniture hour (reduced in price, just for today!), with the Operation Yewtree 2017 pin-up Creepy Crawley, both gushing over plastic plush (ew).

But it's now the busiest part of the show since the last one.

So that's who the creepy critter reminds me of -Reg V.Do you know when the face gets you thinking but you can't quite remember?I'll never be able to watch "On the Buses"again without expecting to hear "Wayhey....buy this bus"or "check out" instead of "lets go". I'm devastated........sob sob .:mysmilie_512:

I'm not really sad.RV could act.His performances were fun, harmless and are still watched.

Last edited:
Oooh!

I haven't had a good pantechnicon in years.

I thought it was a good description for this thread, it's big and holds a multitude of things :mysmilie_59:

I'm just now wondering how many ex-Bid presenters it takes to marmalize* Ideal World?
*a favourite word from my youth... which I always assumed was made up, but actually exists, and we were using it correctly even then.

Latest posts

Back