Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

On YouTube there's Dinnerladies outtakes that are very funny. The cast had the added stress of having to work with food as well. One of these outtakes featured Dolly (Mavis in Coronation Street) who was trying to get bread out of the packet. Something went wrong to which Victoria said to the audience "she only worked in a sweet shop, she's got no experience of catering".🤣

I'm sure many of you on here remember Rita and Mavis in The Kabin. Choosi5050, have a look on YouTube, they're very funny. And Victoria Wood was known for giving the best lines to other actors.
Les Dennis done a brilliant Mavis impersonation

It is a cheap looking product. The one last night looked more like a toy than something for any serious lover of vinyl. They don’t demo it correctly (we know why). Like trying to show a washing machine making tea. Like everything else they do on air, corners were cut and blagging it rules. What sound did come out of it last night sounded absolutely horrifically awful. Get Dad a decent turntable this Father’s Day (their flogging point). One with built in speakers, and a quality cartridge and turntable mechanism. Don’t insult the old chap with this piece of….
They weren’t doing it in memory of Elvis this time then

It's 11.45, and Yannis is flogging the Duchamp Radillion, you know the very desirable, limited edition watch from the weekend? Thought everybody that had a go at selling it said it was almost sold out.
I'm going to say it again and my point relates to brands.

They (the presenters) love saying buy for a loved one, for an anniversary, for a graduation, a birthday etc.

All valid suggestions.

However, I suspect when buying gifts especially for special occasions, most people ... rightly or wrongly ... want to buy the recipient a brand they will know and/or want.

Most of us will have been there at some point in our life. You open a gift and think 'what brand is this?' and the gift giver says 'the man in the shop said that's a good one.' So you paint on a smile and say 'it's great, thanks.'

Now, the product you've been given might be perfectly fine quality wise. Heck, it might even make you want more of their stuff in the future. However surely most of the time, unless buying for ourselves and not caring about brand, we want to buy the recipient a brand they know?

If a presenter or Guest mentions Yiannis, on Create and Craft the other comes out with Yiannis Who, They were making fun out of his hairstyle saying how long they reckoned it took him to set his hair in the mornings
Yiannis, every mother's favourite son in law. Polite, charming, will sit at the table nicely, good manners, saying nothing controversial. Hoping to get promotion at work, has saved a deposit on a house. Hair neatly combed and blow dried. Mr Charisma bypass.

He is no more honest at selling than the rest. Bigs up the prestige of very ordinary items such as Willie Hunt watches. Mentions the flexi price but not how many. Those of us who thought he may be an improvement were sadly disappointed.

He is as boring and ineffectual as Joanne, 4 hours of whom I cannot tolerate.

I'm going to say it again and my point relates to brands.

They (the presenters) love saying buy for a loved one, for an anniversary, for a graduation, a birthday etc.

All valid suggestions.

However, I suspect when buying gifts especially for special occasions, most people ... rightly or wrongly ... want to buy the recipient a brand they will know and/or want.

Most of us will have been there at some point in our life. You open a gift and think 'what brand is this?' and the gift giver says 'the man in the shop said that's a good one.' So you paint on a smile and say 'it's great, thanks.'

Now, the product you've been given might be perfectly fine quality wise. Heck, it might even make you want more of their stuff in the future. However surely most of the time, unless buying for ourselves and not caring about brand, we want to buy the recipient a brand they know?
This is so true. If an intended recipient wears designer brands, especially the young, don't even think of gifting them non-branded goods. I was with someone who did just this and she was devastated when the usual "I can change it if you don't like it" was taken up by the recipient. So embarrassing.

He had a reputation to uphold and you can imagine his horror at the thought of this gift being discovered by his peer group.

I have tried not to be a brand prisoner myself but I must admit I feel more stylish wearing a Pierre Cardin polo shirt rather than some nomark generic one. And this is the problem IW have when they sell lookalikes or almost-as-good-as-the-real-thing items.

Would they do better if they sold real prestige brands, perhaps end of line, a couple of seasons out of date but at decent prices at least some of the time. Then they could justify using superlatives which simply don't wash on lesser goods.

Would they do better if they sold real prestige brands, perhaps end of line, a couple of seasons out of date but at decent prices at least some of the time. Then they could justify using superlatives which simply don't wash on lesser goods.
For me if they did this (and granted I don't represent their target market) much would have to change. They would need to be more QVC-ish for me to buy from them, especially if selling genuine prestige brands.

I kid you not, if the current IW was selling a genuine Rolex at 50% less than other retailers, I wouldn't buy the watch even if I wanted it. That's how much I dislike their approach to selling.

For me if they did this (and granted I don't represent their target market) much would have to change. They would need to be more QVC-ish for me to buy from them, especially if selling genuine prestige brands.

I kid you not, if the current IW was selling a genuine Rolex at 50% less than other retailers, I wouldn't buy the watch even if I wanted it. That's how much I dislike their approach to selling.
Fair point. You can't sell top brands in a poundshop.

They would need a new set of presenters for a start, this lot are too set in their ways.

Some grown-up producers and backroom staff would also be a must. I suppose IW is the bargain basement and going upmarket is too much to hope for.

Does it need to be so flipping seedy though?

This is so true. If an intended recipient wears designer brands, especially the young, don't even think of gifting them non-branded goods. I was with someone who did just this and she was devastated when the usual "I can change it if you don't like it" was taken up by the recipient. So embarrassing.

He had a reputation to uphold and you can imagine his horror at the thought of this gift being discovered by his peer group.

I have tried not to be a brand prisoner myself but I must admit I feel more stylish wearing a Pierre Cardin polo shirt rather than some nomark generic one. And this is the problem IW have when they sell lookalikes or almost-as-good-as-the-real-thing items.

I grew up in the 1950s. Labels were cut out of clothes as they were scratchy. Anything with a logo on was free advertising and considered tacky. These days, apart from my handbags I don’t think anything I wear has a logo on.

I grew up in the 1950s. Labels were cut out of clothes as they were scratchy. Anything with a logo on was free advertising and considered tacky. These days, apart from my handbags I don’t think anything I wear has a logo on.

Me too, or at least my first few years. The 50s was a sea of grey, fashion did not exist as a concept for working class folk. Men wore baggy suits and quite often a hat. Frankly it was drab and I'm glad we've come on a bit from there.

I remember in the 60s as a boy that one's friends drew a distinction between Levi jeans and Tescos own Delamare brand. Denim vs cotton.

However, I do think younger people today are slaves to designer wear, most of it very sporty or casual and expensive. Even those on benefits always seem to have posh trainers, leggings and tops. I don't wear branded clothing all the time but when I do it's because of the quality, fit and style. Not so much the logo.

Me too, or at least my first few years. The 50s was a sea of grey, fashion did not exist as a concept for working class folk. Men wore baggy suits and quite often a hat. Frankly it was drab and I'm glad we've come on a bit from there.

I remember in the 60s as a boy that one's friends drew a distinction between Levi jeans and Tescos own Delamare brand. Denim vs cotton.

However, I do think younger people today are slaves to designer wear, most of it very sporty or casual and expensive. Even those on benefits always seem to have posh trainers, leggings and tops. I don't wear branded clothing all the time but when I do it's because of the quality, fit and style. Not so much the logo.

I was born in the late '50's, and we didn't have a great choice of clothes to wear. We had school clothes, playing out clothes, and an outfit for "best". I think the only designer clothes then were haute couture for the very wealthy.

Aaah. Joanne with Chef Flambé.

Presenting a slow cooker. How appropriate, this is will be very slooow viewing for anyone brave enough to stick it out.

I'm off to watch my tadpoles, much more interesting.
Buy their slow cooker for £49.99 ... or one the same capacity from Dunelm for £28 ;)

Those 'bargains' just keep on coming.

It is a cheap looking product. The one last night looked more like a toy than something for any serious lover of vinyl. They don’t demo it correctly (we know why). Like trying to show a washing machine making tea. Like everything else they do on air, corners were cut and blagging it rules. Mason telling people it plays 78s. It doesn’t. 78s need a specific stylus. On 1960s record players, you would have a flip around dual stylus for vinyl and non-vinyl records. This, presumably doesn’t. More wrong information. What sound did come out of it last night sounded absolutely horrifically awful. Get Dad a decent turntable this Father’s Day (their flogging point). One with built in speakers, and a quality cartridge and turntable mechanism. Don’t insult the old chap with this piece of….

Mike's had emails asking when he's getting some of them into the business so he's had a word with the powers that be and they've managed to get hold of a finite amount of stock — but don't dilly or dally as it's first come first …served 🫖

Latest posts

Back