Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I just wouldn't buy an aftershave called gammon. It might be the only vegan friendly gammon out there mind you. That light socket camera has potential but it isn't explained very well. You have to sacrifice being able to see in the dark? None of the items are fully explained. Just bits of blurbs and anecdotes of how the presenters think they should be used. Nothing actually useful. I have found myself searching on Amazon to read the reviews of some of the products

I wonder if he has any misgvings about the WORRY ANGELS he sold?
Ha ha that takes me back. Found the clip easily on You Tube "when people say we prey on the vulnerable I have serious issues with that"🤔. Apparently Worry Angels are symbolic of someone to talk to. I'll talk to my cat, its cheaper than buying a few pieces of glass!

I should have said, actual footage from the light socket cameras would be helpful, details of the app (if there is one). Is it a fish eye lens? What distance does it cover? You know, the basics of cameras, instead of comparing it to something it's not. I had been thinking of getting one of those doorbell cams, so I am a potential customer, but I can't clambour up and remove or ruin my outside light fitting for this thing

The product prep is severely lacking at times. Presenters winging it if they can. Sometimes being caught out even doing that - Simon with the candles demo that wasn’t. The cramped environment doesn’t help in properly showing and explaining either. According to those in the know there will be a new studio soon. With that it would be good to see the following:-

No longer using those ridiculous and misleading indirect price comparisons as woefully poor selling tools.

Some more interesting, branded non-TJC products to sell

Better product preparation and less repetition of certain items

Some decent promos between items. No more cheesy maudlin piano music behind items.

The product prep is severely lacking at times. Presenters winging it if they can. Sometimes being caught out even doing that - Simon with the candles demo that wasn’t. The cramped environment doesn’t help in properly showing and explaining either. According to those in the know there will be a new studio soon. With that it would be good to see the following:-

No longer using those ridiculous and misleading indirect price comparisons as woefully poor selling tools.

Some more interesting, branded non-TJC products to sell

Better product preparation and less repetition of certain items

Some decent promos between items. No more cheesy maudlin piano music behind items.
I agree. It doesn't seem like a big ask. Shopping TV isn't rocket science as was said earlier.

You need a good communicator, someone personable and knowledgeable in the item being sold. The presenter. And someone who knows the product well (the rep or expert).

Good shots of the product itself and examples of it in action. reasonable production values.

Information accurate and readily available on stock levels, payment option and prices (direct comparisons only not plucked out of thin air, made up by the presenter). No bogus or dubious claims.

No stupid time pressure (falsifying stock levels, or stock scaremongering as I call it)

If viewers are contacting the studio that the names are legitimate and not made up by the production team.

This is the minimum I expect

I don't really believe that Mike Mason is popping on this forum. But if Mike does peruse this place, I have some direct comments to you.

First of all I don't think you're the worst presenter. When the tech problems happened and you were being professional keeping things going. It shows what you are capable of. But you have an awful lot of bad habits. Reverting to the shouty persona of old. Making up price comparisons, not good. When a member of your production team was coming up with visually interesting shots and helpful views of the product (split screen etc.), you mocked them on air. As if to say it was too 'fancy'. I have worked with people who take that attitude of putting people down to get your own way. Then people feel they shouldn't bother. We're left with a medium, static shot of you at a desk fumbling with something giving us one view of it. Comparing apples to oranges. Well they're both fruit. But that's all. The best kind of presenter is one that can adapt and change. I do believe you have done that, but so many old habits, maybe you should learn some new tricks.

Well, Paz may have just been impersonating his style. They weren’t confronted as being him directly - just a suggestion of his style of speaking. I think regardless of who they really are, there was a distinct protective element and in the know tones to their contributions.
Agreed, I think that was a joke because I doubt MM would parody himself in that way. But he/she/they (covering all options) claimed the company was doing well and they were all laughing at us. But of course that could just be made up nonsense to make them sound important. But for balance maybe not.

Agreed, I think that was a joke because I doubt MM would parody himself in that way. But he/she/they (covering all options) claimed the company was doing well and they were all laughing at us. But of course that could just be made up nonsense to make them sound important. But for balance maybe not.
yes that's what I believe too, but if anyone from the channel is passing on feedback (they seem somewhat aware given the usernames) maybe he'll see it. Doubt he would really care lol

I should have said, actual footage from the light socket cameras would be helpful, details of the app (if there is one). Is it a fish eye lens? What distance does it cover? You know, the basics of cameras, instead of comparing it to something it's not. I had been thinking of getting one of those doorbell cams, so I am a potential customer, but I can't clambour up and remove or ruin my outside light fitting for this thing
I'm convinced the reason they don't do this is because the footage might be average at best, whereas some of the presenters will no doubt be saying the quality is on a par with their studio cameras ...

As folk on here have been saying over the last few pages, why not tell viewers more about the actual spec of stuff. Could it be because the spec is often not that great?

;)

Yeah the cynic in me would tend to agree. I even have my doubts over the ones that appear to be real, of course it's possible they are, sometimes I'm too cynical for my own good!
Not sure you can be too cynical provided your sometimes willing to take a calculated risk and OK with knowing there’s a chance you should have listened to that voice telling you to be careful.
Not that I’m a dyed in the wool cynic HONEST 🙈

Paz is a funny one to suss out, I have no idea who they are and their motives. Would an IW presenter post here - tbh I really doubt it.
I watched a bit of Shop On TV and the demo guy Alan (bald Irish has been on Ideal World) said he was looking on a forum and saw someone had said that Rob Locke was the best TV presenter ever. Rob of course joked 'Thanks mum', so you never know quite who from that world is browsing through.

I know some of you didnt like Dean Wilson’s presenting style, but I found a post on the Craft Telly website, that In November he got hit by a vehicle

He suffered a Broken Leg, Fractured Ankle, 7 Broken Ribs and a Fractured Skull, he seems to be on the mend though
Sorry to hear that, hope he recovers well

I know some of you didnt like Dean Wilson’s presenting style, but I found a post on the Craft Telly website, that In November he got hit by a vehicle

He suffered a Broken Leg, Fractured Ankle, 7 Broken Ribs and a Fractured Skull, he seems to be on the mend though
That sounds like a really nasty set of injuries hope he recovers well and gets back to full health.

Latest posts

Back