Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I saw a bit a short while ago, Sally was selling a handbag. The design was similar to hers, she got someone to fetch it to show the audience. She didn't say how much she paid for it but said it was extortionate, and that she bought it many years ago. It certainly wasn't £39.99 like the one she was selling.

I didn't recognise the brand of her handbag but it was clearly mega expensive and appeared to be in fabulous condition. She clearly didn't buy that from Ideal World, do as I say and not as I do perhaps...

She often goes on about the Bucks Fizz thing. I think she was in the post chart success version. The Beeston Social Club type one…
I was in Butlins with friends back in 1997 and Cannon and Ball were performing and who else was on the bill? Bucks Fizz and one Sally Jacks was a member. The following week was the Krankies

I don't know why they don't do proper AA or AAA battery offers
They did do an offer a few weeks back. I can't remember the specifics but I think they were selling 50 batteries (combo of AA and AAA) for around £20 plus £2-3p&p. Branded batteries.

However on Amazon etc you could easily find combo packs of 70-100 branded batteries for half the price ;)

Ive noticed that (hard not to) naming brands saying they also do them (the product) but then saying but im not comparing it to them, well you are youve just called the other brands out ten seconds ago.

That is one seriously weak disclaimer
It's a sales technique, simply by mentioning the higher quality product they've already planted the seed. They follow up with a disclaimer of sorts as you've pointed out e.g. 'I'm not comparing them ...' however for some viewers, the comparison will now be made.

Not just sales actually, it's a technique used daily in all sorts of scenarios.

They did do an offer a few weeks back. I can't remember the specifics but I think they were selling 50 batteries (combo of AA and AAA) for around £20 plus £2-3p&p. Branded batteries.

However on Amazon etc you could easily find combo packs of 70-100 branded batteries for half the price ;)

Yeah was Philips battery pack.

Is posting here so unmonitored that it's considered OK to describe someone as mentally ill?

I'll bite.

"Frank" isn't real, so describing him (or her, or them, etc) as anything is …nothingness.

I will add that I have mental health issues. I've been sectioned in the past. I've spent more of my life on medication for my various kooky conditions than not. I know how difficult it is.

And generally speaking I don't like jokes, jibes, and pejorative insults about mental health if real people are involved; I don't like people perpetuating stereotypes about mental health conditions, even in jest (subconsciously on the part of people reading, it sinks in); and I don't think it's ever funny or fair to rubbish someone's opinion because they have or have had (people do recover) from mental health issues.

But in this case …Frank isn't real, so effectively joking that "he must be mentally ill to buy that tat" doesn't (to me) seem that awful. He's not going to be offended. He doesn't exist. Still, I can and do understand why the inference isn't great, but a number of mental health issues do affect judgement, so it's not technically inaccurate.

Last edited:
Is posting here so unmonitored that it's considered OK to describe someone as mentally ill?
i dont think anyone here would ridicule someone with mental health do you?

And any presenter who talks crap to embellish that proverbial turd to hoodwink punters or anyone who buys as an example a disco effect cane deserves a lighthearted question on their sanity, Not just their taste.

My poor dad had altzheimers but i wouldnt correlate that to anything i have ever read in here in the slightest and take any sort of offence, lighten up saintslad ?

I'll bite.

"Frank" isn't real, so describing him (or her, or them, etc) as anything is …nothingness.

I will add that I have mental health issues. I've been sectioned in the past. I've spent more of my life on medication for my various kooky conditions than not. I know how difficult it is.

And generally speaking I don't like jokes, jibes, and pejorative insults about mental health if real people are involved; I don't like people perpetuating stereotypes about mental health conditions, even in jest (subconsciously on the part of people reading, it sinks in); and I don't think it's ever funny or fair to rubbish someone's opinion because they have or have had (people do recover) from mental health issues.

But in this case …Frank isn't real, so effectively joking that "he must be mentally ill to buy that tat" doesn't (to me) seem that awful. He's not going to be offended. He doesn't exist. Still, I can and do understand why the inference isn't great, but a number of mental health issues do affect judgement, so it's not technically inaccurate.

Too late to edit my comment. I was going to add that if the joke was worded "I worry about his frame of mind, buying that!" …I don't think anyone would have batted an eyelid.

That's how I took it 🤷🏻‍♂️

Latest posts

Back