Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Am I right in thinking IW haven’t been properly wound up yet
On that BBC Look East video posted here in forum, on the demise of IW, you can see a letter, from Thane, presumably a supplier/creditor, have sent a winding up petition letter from their solicitors to IW with a Birmingham court case scheduled early September, giving IW until end of August to respond and produce documents.

Afaik, IW is in Administration by Kroll. Presumably they are working out who or what to pay from any remaining cash/assets and how to maximise the asset value before winding up or selling assets to Sdi that are owed to satisfy the charge(s) against the company? Not sure what sequence. I think usually HMRC then creditors have priority in being paid first, before honouring orders or others, if any cash/assets remain, but I'm not a business administrator.

I certainly don't want any presenter on QVC showing me their ring pieces. Let alone asking £4k for the privilege.
Lol. Just to mention one presenter I was never a fan of was Andy Love. Just something about him I found a bit smarmy and a tad arrogant perhaps when selling? Nice enough bloke I'm sure, just his style grated on me.
I read years ago I think that he was a former IBM IT guy who got into TV. Dunno if before/ after meeting Loen? Where are they now?

Also found this old stuff about MM and this site.

An old site/entry:

Wonder what he's up to. From the above 1st thread MM had shopping telly forum remove all mention of him a few years ago?!

On that BBC Look East video posted here in forum, on the demise of IW, you can see a letter, from Thane, presumably a supplier/creditor, have sent a winding up petition letter from their solicitors to IW with a Birmingham court case scheduled early September, giving IW until end of August to respond and produce documents.

Afaik, IW is in Administration by Kroll. Presumably they are working out who or what to pay from any remaining cash/assets and how to maximise the asset value before winding up or selling assets to Sdi that are owed to satisfy the charge(s) against the company? Not sure what sequence. I think usually HMRC then creditors have priority in being paid first, before honouring orders or others, if any cash/assets remain, but I'm not a business administrator.

Staff wages (or what they can pay) are a high priority, looking at the order in the last fall into admin, it was staff wages (arrears, holiday pay etc), then HMRC (NIC, PAYE) / HMRC (VAT). Then secured/charge creditors (ie Sports Direct with their Debenture loan agreement/charge etc) then if anything left finally unsecured creditors (Suppliers, Presenters, Pretendy Experts, Utilities etc) .

Employees are preferential creditors, and they'll get first dibs - HMRC is also preferential, but secondary to employee claims. This happily means that the runners, cleaners, admin staff and all the others who've been royally fucked over by IW should hopefully get paid, whereas the presenters - who are probably not 'employees' in the legal definition - will be unsecured and will probably end up with nowt.

The ultimate question on the demise of IW though, is where will Eric Knowles go to sell watches now?! 🤪

Presumably, in retrospect, his disastrous appearance on IW (and what led me to this site!), shortly before its demise, was a last throw of the dice by the owners to inject some 'celebrity' to attract new shoppers and revenue?

P.S. re. watches, a JBordell described on LinkedIn as 'horological consultant'. ⌚

Lots of LinkedIn messages from former IW staff/presenters commiserating with each other, but no mention of customers who bought goods towards the end that they may not receive.

Interesting to me was that the Garden Bargains website is still live. I know that it was just a rebranded website of another garden site, You Garden?, But it is there and in the footer it has the IW address

I wonder if it's linked to You Garden's system, ie they take all the orders, do all the admin, customer service etc and they just provided IW with a percentage of any sales from that site, if so may be hard to disentangle immediately and the administrators are allowing it to continue in the meantime as it's effectively run by You Gardens and not really part of IW, apart from the branding?

Having said that, really have no clue as to why branding still on it though. :ROFLMAO:

The ultimate question on the demise of IW though, is where will Eric Knowles go to sell watches now?! 🤪

Presumably, in retrospect, his disastrous appearance on IW (and what led me to this site!), shortly before its demise, was a last throw of the dice by the owners to inject some 'celebrity' to attract new shoppers and revenue?

P.S. re. watches, a JBordell described on LinkedIn as 'horological consultant'. ⌚

Lots of LinkedIn messages from former IW staff/presenters commiserating with each other, but no mention of customers who bought goods towards the end that they may not receive.

What, as in Antiques Roadshow? 🫣

Employees are preferential creditors, and they'll get first dibs - HMRC is also preferential, but secondary to employee claims. This happily means that the runners, cleaners, admin staff and all the others who've been royally fucked over by IW should hopefully get paid, whereas the presenters - who are probably not 'employees' in the legal definition - will be unsecured and will probably end up with nowt.
Thanks Hammy & Craftalot for the clarification and details.

Do the administrators honour pending customer orders to obtain cash, or presumably they have the money already from payment and the item stock too, an asset, that can be sold also, which would prevent them sending to customers, thereby reducing asset value? But do they have to honour pending orders by law if paid-for and item in stock? I'm guessing not.

The watch shows especially were terrible, a high percentage of them would come under "Fraud by false representation" (as do the few that TJC show).

As for one of the worst shyster, Bordell, remember he already does work for Solar Time brands and his wife has already set up a new watch brand for them to play with after they're failure in running an online watch retailer (Page & Cooper).

Do the administrators honour pending customer orders to obtain cash, or presumably they have the money already from payment and the item stock too, an asset, that can be sold also, which would prevent them sending to customers, thereby reducing asset value? But do they have to honour pending orders by law if paid-for and item in stock? I'm guessing not.
No problem. Depends on the state of the business really - they could try to trade out the remaining inventory to get a better return for creditors, but I think that's unlikely in this case. Much of the stock may not be 'owned' by IW, but held in their warehouse with title to the goods resting with the supplier. However, in essence customers with unfulfilled orders are unsecured creditors and have their place in the pecking order - there is no preferential treatment for them with regards to fulfilling their orders. Any available money now has to be distributed in accordance with insolvency law - secured creditors with fixed charges, then the liquidators' fees, then employees (up to £800 arrears), etc. It seems unfair, I know.

I think i read that a skeleton staff was in for a few days before they called it a day to fulfill outstanding orders, could be wrong though.

But if you've received goods and still have payments to make through flexi pay, those payments will still be taken, if you haven't received goods then you should be getting your money back.

Edit to say
PS

Craftalot's reply looks better. :)

The best thing for customers with unfulfilled orders now is either claim via s.75 if they paid via credit card for a single item costing >£100 or, if they paid by debit card, attempting to initiate a chargeback via their bank. It's highly unlikely that any outstanding orders will be fulfilled, or that there will be any more left after the preferential distribution for unsecured creditors like customers.

Lol. Just to mention one presenter I was never a fan of was Andy Love. Just something about him I found a bit smarmy and a tad arrogant perhaps when selling? Nice enough bloke I'm sure, just his style grated on me.
I read years ago I think that he was a former IBM IT guy who got into TV. Dunno if before/ after meeting Loen? Where are they now?

Also found this old stuff about MM and this site.

An old site/entry:

Wonder what he's up to. From the above 1st thread MM had shopping telly forum remove all mention of him a few years ago?!
Yes, I felt exactly the same about AL. Always thought he was a bit cleverer, and a bit above it all. I seem to remember a lot of 'genial' criticising of the gallery and floor crew - it often felt like it went a bit too far sometimes. I also thought Loen was a bit up her own arse as well, despite the outward easy-going nature.

Latest posts

Back