Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I'm thinking of stepping in and filling the void left by IW with my own shopping Channel.

Provisionally named 'The Luxury Gift Channel', I'd like your suggestions for which currently 'resting' telly selly veterans I could consider employing and what sort of products I can offer?

FYI the products will all be of the highest quality and will be priced accordingly (between £1.99 and £19.99 ex P&P).
In this time, with cost of living crisis, etc., wonder if there may be a niche for some sort of mass selling, bulk discount, pile 'em high and sell 'em cheap, type of operation.

So do you remember the markets, where there'd be a bloke selling stuff on the tailgate out the back of his van, "not one, not two, but three, yes "ladies" (invariably) a saucepan set of three... so who'll give me a tenner for the lot?". Petticoat Lane, North End road market, etc. Before the time of stricter trading standards and of Del Boy.

(Or the lock-in shop scams where they'd get 50 people crammed in a shop, sell mystery bags of stuff to first few people, often who were plants, to hold up a fiver, for real and get some bargains, then the others would give a fiver and get just a fiver's worth of tat, no great bargain compared to the first few!)

So thinking if you could get in some wholesale stuff and buy cheap and sell lots at small margin. Maybe like a B&M selection, or middle row of Lidl type stuff, with lots of bogof or multiple buy, bigger discounts type stuff with cheaper flat p&p.

Have to pick the right stuff, so at Summer, BBQ sets, plates, plastic chairs, cheap garden furniture, 6 packs of suncream, cheap luggage, cheap sunglasses, summer tops/polos, etc. Buy 5 for £5 type deals.

You could even mix it up and have a cheap brand channel or hourly slots for B&M, Lidl, Aldi, george@Asda, Wilko, etc. for those with/out a current direct to consumer delivery operation.

What do you think?

Sounds exactly like the sort of thing Mark would say

He isn't for me one of a few I don't watch at all but he sure shifts products
TJC 'Fake Sincerity' Mark isn't my cup of tea AT ALL but at least he sells products. His fake hysterical laughter at things Papa 'Uncle Albert' Gamages Fields says is reminiscent of someone desperately trying to please their boss at all costs but ends up being faker than Ideal World's RRP's. Plus Mark's squeaky voice feigning surprise at stock updates being read out to him over his earpiece is like nails down a blackboard.

But yes, he sells products.

In this time, with cost of living crisis, etc., wonder if there may be a niche for some sort of mass selling, bulk discount, pile 'em high and sell 'em cheap, type of operation.

So do you remember the markets, where there'd be a bloke selling stuff on the tailgate out the back of his van, "not one, not two, but three, yes "ladies" (invariably) a saucepan set of three... so who'll give me a tenner for the lot?". Petticoat Lane, North End road market, etc. Before the time of stricter trading standards and of Del Boy.

(Or the lock-in shop scams where they'd get 50 people crammed in a shop, sell mystery bags of stuff to first few people, often who were plants, to hold up a fiver, for real and get some bargains, then the others would give a fiver and get just a fiver's worth of tat, no great bargain compared to the first few!)

So thinking if you could get in some wholesale stuff and buy cheap and sell lots at small margin. Maybe like a B&M selection, or middle row of Lidl type stuff, with lots of bogof or multiple buy, bigger discounts type stuff with cheaper flat p&p.

Have to pick the right stuff, so at Summer, BBQ sets, plates, plastic chairs, cheap garden furniture, 6 packs of suncream, cheap luggage, cheap sunglasses, summer tops/polos, etc. Buy 5 for £5 type deals.

You could even mix it up and have a cheap brand channel or hourly slots for B&M, Lidl, Aldi, george@Asda, Wilko, etc. for those with/out a current direct to consumer delivery operation.

What do you think?
You could call it Stretch the Pound

The thing I notice about The Jewellery Channel is visually it looks low rent (maybe why it is still here and Ideal World is not). I am not keen on watching shopping television where the presenter is always sat behind a desk like a newsreader with no apparent variant. It is just restrictive and dull to the eye. In its better days, Ideal World had that big studio feel with presenters able to move around for quite a number of shows. And of course, the outside bit. The current presenter ( I am sure I have seen him elsewhere shopping TV wise) is a bit of drama queen with the goods. “Oceans of Motions,“ he hysterically witters over some desperately dull trinket, waxing lyrical like some early Genesis album. No humour whatsoever with him that I can witness. You see, it’s not about the goods they are selling, it’s about the laughs. You want people like Lavers and Locke who often subliminally projected what a load of nonsense it all is. And this particular guy is about as ironic as fence posts, and as funny as diarrhoea at a Turkish customs check.

Yep very low costs hence the weird graphics at times everything is done as low cost as possible (very rare use a model for example)

suppose it all adds up over time

Sure would have Jazzy

I wonder if TJC will be in for the channel 51 slot on Freeview probably for the relaunch of TJC beauty 24/7

I think the Freeview slots are renewed annually so maybe they will try and get something till the end of the year negotiated

Now I am Ideal Worldless I am reduced to exploring what is left of the remaining shopping channels. Just looked at The Jewellery Channel. I've watched it very, very briefly before, but that's usually when they are selling non-jewellery items with Handy Oddson. But today, what I can see is somebody who appears to be in a different country (India, is it?) Or is it an Indian man in a studio in England. Anyway, he is with a bloke who looks like he's just walked out of Living in a Box in another studio, split screen. The logic or sense in this defeats me? Now they're showing something that would look quite comfortably at ease inside a Winfield Christmas cracker set, which in turn looks like something a child would want to wear after a pass the parcel game. They are telling me that this trinket apparently is worth £999. Now, I may look like I've sailed down the Amazon on a Sinclair C5, but even I'm not that daft. I'm assuming, a la Bid and Auction World, this item will drop and drop in price and finish at about £9.99? Is that how it works?

Ok, I am a big fan of TJC.co.uk website. Have purchased many times. Much more than IW, QVC, etc.

Less so their TV output.

e.g. today (12/7) they are offering free p&p delivery on anything. To match Amazon prime days.

On TV, the initial on-screen TV prices start silly, then reduce to eventually a "final price" label. Which matches the website item original usually!

I have bought mainly home items, some jewels, from website, many under £5 with free p&p. Cables, chargers, perfume, gifts for people, airfryers, Xmas lights & stuff. Unless cheaper in Poundland, one of best value online.
And a few gems, crystals, opal, cheap everyday watches. And Automatics for £20 (Genoa / Strada). All at discount, all with free p&p. Free over a set amount anyway. But megaday and specials offers too - you have to wait, bide your time for when free p&p and discount offers occur.

I usually buy when free p&p and when they offer genuine 30/20% discount using promo code-off items. And always can get 10% off as new customer, etc.

They have genuine Clearance section reduced items.

Their genuine Auction section (bid up Dutch auction style?) is great. All items start at £1, and users bid-up £1 at a time. Real time-limit, final price honoured. Check their auction section!

You have to know their normal price but I have won auction items at fraction of normal website price e.g. Got a cheap Japanese quartz watch (dials, second hand, date) for £4, price on site £20. And free p&p. Some items go over usual website price in bids, so need to be careful and check and remain vigilant!

Of course, not everything is best value on their site/channel and have to wait until discount or reduction makes it viable. Or not buy at all!

All my small & large packages (must be 30+ over 2 years) have arrived in strong cardboard boxes with TJC packing tape undamaged. Sent from Feltham. Always think of "brown cardboard packages tied up with (strong binding tape) string" from Sound of music when I receive!

Their Customer Service works. Via email or web form account login.
And the few times have had an issue, e.g. a watch had a dead battery, an item missing a small ancillary part, I have had a refund or credit.

Oh yes, and they gave FREE returns! Every item comes with a pre-paid Royal Mail postage label and clear form to return within 30 days at/from post office

They have excellent trustpilot reviews.

Many of their catalogue items are made for them by Indian handicrafts factories, e.g. mango carved wood items, lamps, tables, or Chinese sourced, labelled "ShopTJC" and they are an Indian owned larger group started in India before UK expansion. You see some of their senior Indian-based management on TV for jewellery often.

If you know what to look for and when/ how to buy with discounts they are good, imho.

I personally have found them to be one the better online/TV Shopping services.

Worth checking out. Privately owned, and no I don't have any interest/connection!

P.S. my few purchases with IW also were trouble free and value at the time, and never had a CS problem, so they were ok too when I used them.

Last edited:
Very interesting post. Tells me a lot I didn’t know and gives me a much better understanding of how it works, both online and on screen. Have not long got in from work and have been watching it for about half an hour. I’m pretty sure I’m not going to be able to get used to it, or rely on it for any form of entertainment factor as I did with Ideal World. From watching, it appears to be too professional, and therefore too dull. I miss the chaos of IW. Also watched that smarm meister Brook on QVC last night simpering about some ****** mattress. He could have oiled my chips for a whole year. Nothing really now for me to watch on ‘real‘ shopping television now the channel has gone. Which for me is very sad in many different ways!! It was never about the goods for me. It was about a comedy.

Very interesting post. Tells me a lot I didn’t know and gives me a much better understanding of how it works, both online and on screen. Have not long got in from work and have been watching it for about half an hour. I’m pretty sure I’m not going to be able to get used to it, or rely on it for any form of entertainment factor as I did with Ideal World. From watching, it appears to be too professional, and therefore too dull. I miss the chaos of IW. Also watched that smarm meister Brook on QVC last night simpering about some ****** mattress. He could have oiled my chips for a whole year. Nothing really now for me to watch on ‘real‘ shopping television now the channel has gone. Which for me is very sad in many different ways!! It was never about the goods for me. It was about a comedy.
Who was that Charlie Brook, Create and Craft can give you the odd cock up

Yes. The only time he was ever remotely funny was when he wasn’t intending to be in that car crash of an ‘interview’ with Tom Baker years ago. Oh, I suppose if the bed had collapsed last night with him on it, that would’ve been funny, too.

The thing that puts me off TJC is just how long they take to let us know how much they want for something. To me all this price dropping is unnecessarily time consuming and boring to watch. Give us a silly starting price by all means but then tell us how much they are charging. The other evening I tuned into a "£20 or under" jewellery show. The item I saw was on screen at a couple of hundred quid - They waffled on for ages before it dropped to about £100 - I sat through a further 10 minutes of waffle until eventually it went down to about £15! The clue was in the title of the show, so why all this rubbish when they know exactly how much they want for it from the start?

Spot on. If their rationale is credibility as a business, then don’t treat people like twa…idiots and give ridiculously fanciful starting prices to cheap bits of costume jewellery. Reminds me of that ghastly and long gone Auction World with those wretched globes they said were worth thousands and sold ultimately for about £200 more than their cost price…

I wonder if those vacuum cleaners he was hawking on the last day ever reached their buyers?

Spot on. If their rationale is credibility as a business, then don’t treat people like twa…idiots and give ridiculously fanciful starting prices to cheap bits of costume jewellery. Reminds me of that ghastly and long gone Auction World with those wretched globes they said were worth thousands and sold ultimately for about £200 more than their cost price…
But it looks better though doesnt even if not honest, RRP is £599.99 but today is £59.99

Still, like the rest of them, I doubt he sees that as his problem...Just carry on as if everything is normal on a channel about to kick the bucket..

What do you think?
Oh God yes! They were all over Brighton in the early nineties. They used to charge a fiver to get in, which according to them would guarantee you at least £50's worth of goods. I went to one once and they were auctioning off cameras, radios and other electrical goods. They started off with "quick sales" "Who's got a tenner?" hold it up if you want a game boy. A host of hands holding ten pound notes went up (including mine) 3 were handed out (to the stooges) followed by another similar "sale". Then it got serious. The demonstration stuff looked top notch and when someone bought something they were given a ticket and had to wait until the end of the auction to claim the goods. I think they were given the right packaging, but the contents were inferior made in china crap so I understand. I decided that I wanted to leave early, so I approached the doorperson who furnished me a with a box in a carrier bag. When I got out and opened it, the contents were a couple of bottles crap "poundland" perfume which I ended up using as air freshner in the smallest room! I know these shonky auctions eventually got stopped in their tracks but I don't know how they were even allowed in the first place!

Latest posts

Back