QVC's most annoying accents ..

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I really like the scottish accent (Ally McCoist, yum yum!!), but for some reason, Ann Dawson's voice affects me like nails scratching a blackboard. I have trouble listening to her - strange!

I'm Scottish and I can't stand Ann Dawson's accent!

Leigh from Bare Minerals. It's such a relief when she hands over to SJ to speak!

I would have thought that having a nice speaking voice (and I am not talking about regional accents) would be fundamental for anyone on TV and radio. You want people to stay listening. If I were chosing QVC presenters I would listen to their voice before even looking at them!

Forgetting for the moment the drivel that they speak some presenters have pleasant voices; Dale, Julia, Debbie Greenwood, Alison Keenan, Catherine Huntley whilst some have voices that turn your brain to scrambled egg.

I would have thought that having a nice speaking voice (and I am not talking about regional accents) would be fundamental for anyone on TV and radio. You want people to stay listening. If I were chosing QVC presenters I would listen to their voice before even looking at them!

Forgetting for the moment the drivel that they speak some presenters have pleasant voices; Dale, Julia, Debbie Greenwood, Alison Keenan, Catherine Huntley whilst some have voices that turn your brain to scrambled egg.

I want Ali Keenan to slow down though and Catherine Huntley to speed up!

Caroline Archer from LE has a very clipped way of speaking, it's not easy to listen to her for long.

Annoying Accents!

Catherine Huntley, talks so low down in her throat it makes me breathless to hear her.
Craig sounds so ignorant with that awful Bristolian accent.
Pipa just screaches and makes me laugh that she uses absolutely everything that QVC sells darling!
The Easiyo lady takes such sharp breaths all the time, phew!
Alison Young, human screech owl.
Jilly, always has something "For you".
Miceal, be he man or woman just goes on and on.
Julian, "hello me love, hello me lovely" and patronising to the extreme.
Debbie has a great Essex accent, but always wants us to buy 2, 3 or 4 of something.
Claire talks like a silly little girl.
Kathy Taylor never never shuts up!
Charlie just talks Cliches all the time and fingers jewellery likes they are a nipple.
Is that enough for now? :eek:)

Could have made a poem.

I really like the scottish accent (Ally McCoist, yum yum!!), but for some reason, Ann Dawson's voice affects me like nails scratching a blackboard. I have trouble listening to her - strange!

ABSOLUTELY and totally agree!! Can't bear her voice for one second - no idea why. On the other hand, I love a Sunderland accent - quite lyrical.............

OMG - I forgot! What about Kim the Canadian voice acrobat - swooping and diving, twisting and twirling, never pausing for breath! Truly annoying.

Carmel's accent is just too broad. Like Eammon Holmes, her pronunciation of NOW is always NIGH. Its an impossibility for the way they speak to 'do' the O W sound, why ?

Can't listen to Carmel and why is she always bending forward towards the camera? What about that lady that sells the wind spinners - Beverley Cressman I think her name is. Immediately turn off when she's on as she screeches. Pipa screeches as well and so does Ali Young. I don't mind Anne Dawson at all but I'm used to a Glasgow accent. Don't like the Charlie Bears man's accent either.

CC

I don't mind accents, it's the delivery I have a problem with.
Think Mally & Miss Ali .... at times - horrendous!

I don't mind accents, it's the delivery I have a problem with.
Think Mally & Miss Ali .... at times - horrendous!

:mysmilie_497: You're spot on there Minim, all the breathless babbling & high pitched shrieking, along with the infuriating repetitive use of certain words & phrases (yeah yeah yeah, jump to the phones, going very quickly indeed & so on & so forth) far outweighs any initial irritation caused by a guest or presenter's actual regional accent!

I think presenters exaggerate their accents, for example Craig, Simon B and Ann Dawson, all of whom have lived away from their native Bristol and Glasgow respectively for years.

I think presenters exaggerate their accents, for example Craig, Simon B and Ann Dawson, all of whom have lived away from their native Bristol and Glasgow respectively for years.

Wouldn't surprise me at all, regional accents are most definitely 'in' & virtually de rigueur, speaking in old style BBC newsreader English is so last decade dahling.....! :grin:

Latest posts

Back