QVC vs Amazon.... is it really so straightforward?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

BurlyBeaR

Registered Shopper
ok so lets compare and contrast

Amazon
Reasonable P&P
The Prime offer is good if you buy a lot
Website great
Reviews impartial
Delivery good
Prices often cheaper
"Buy Used" (intentionally!)
No contact other than by e-mail
Difficult when things go wrong

QVC
Ridiculous and antiquated P&P policy
Website not great - but its new so im prepared to give them a break on that... for now
Reviews questionable
Delivery speed seems very dependant on where you live, sometimes good sometimes bad
Occassionsl bargains but adding in the P&P usually make the prices same as high street.
Buy Used.... UNINTENTIONALLY!!
Big difference No 1 the 30 day MBG. still pretty impressive as long as you dont fall foul of it.
Big difference No 2 you see the products in context, in the hands of a human being (if you discount JF ha ha ), being demonstrated and explained, and being photogrpahed at every possible angle. you can ask questions of the experts and most importantly you can ring and speak to someone in the UK about a problem.

I reckon its those last 2 qualities of QVC that are allowing it to continue in the face of massive competition. The mbg and all of that accessibility makes their offer unique, and v ery different to any on-line retailer.

what do you think?

Last edited:
So view items on qvc buy them, try them out and send back within the 30 days and re buy from Amazon at a cheaper price sounds perfect :cheeky:

MBG is the best thing about Q. Ive bought beauty stuff (not sent it back if I like it) but not repeat purchased. Gone elsewhere if cheaper and it usually is. The plus side of this is obvious and elsewhere there is usually free P&P. Its hard to believe they can compete on the beauty front but there are still people who are suss of cheaper prices thinking the products are bogus
Also you have to factor in the die hard Qers who will remain loyal no matter what and swallow all the propoganda thats thrown at them

ok so lets compare and contrast

Amazon
Reasonable P&P
The Prime offer is good if you buy a lot
Website great
Reviews impartial
Delivery good
Prices often cheaper
"Buy Used" (intentionally!)
No contact other than by e-mail
Difficult when things go wrong

QVC
Ridiculous and antiquated P&P policy
Website not great - but its new so im prepared to give them a break on that... for now
Reviews questionable
Delivery speed seems very dependant on where you live, sometimes good sometimes bad
Occassionsl bargains but adding in the P&P usually make the prices same as high street.
Buy Used.... UNINTENTIONALLY!!
Big difference No 1 the 30 day MBG. still pretty impressive as long as you dont fall foul of it.
Big difference No 2 you see the products in context, in the hands of a human being (if you discount JF ha ha ), being demonstrated and explained, and being photogrpahed at every possible angle. you can ask questions of the experts and most importantly you can ring and speak to someone in the UK about a problem.

I reckon its those last 2 qualities of QVC that are allowing it to continue in the face of massive competition. The mbg and all of that accessibility makes their offer unique, and v ery different to any on-line retailer.

what do you think?

So view items on qvc buy them, try them out and send back within the 30 days and re buy from Amazon at a cheaper price sounds perfect :cheeky:

naughty!

i forgot to mention the other QVC selling point.... "The Family"

I always thought Amazons CS was supposed to be good. Mind you nothing beats Lakelands.

Will buy from QVC due to the money back guarantee but only if I'm very doubtful about liking the product. Won't pay more than anywhere else for the privelege though I simply won't buy it.

What like these

Addams-Family-tv-01.jpg
naughty!

i forgot to mention the other QVC selling point.... "The Family"

what do you think?

I agree BB although you can make the 2nd work for you - I've often looked at the on screen demo and then googled and got it cheaper elsewhere with less/no P&P, especially with the DIY/gardening items - works both ways sometimes I confirmed that it is indeed a bargain. There are other companies like Thane who are now getting wise to the value of the 30 day MBG but they are few and far between.
Dangerous to rely on that alone though.

The daft thing about Q and not liking this forum seems crazy. I don't always post but read regularly. What is clear is that there is passion on these pages for Q. I like Q for things I genuinely want to try and test. If then it does not live up to expectations it does go back. Once I like a product I then price compare. Amazon is fab and I always check their prices. One of my fab buys was the emu slippers as a tsv on Q and on Amazon a fab price. No contest!

Amazon CS are fab in my experience and hard to beat despite not being UK based. Their call back facility is great, the call usually comes through instantly and I have always had very polite, helpful and competent agents. Prices are competitive and shipping often FREE, return periods are generous and in a lot of cases returns are also FREE, what could be better?? Q is useful to see a product being demonstrated but many items can often be found cheaper on Amazon (or the Bay) and they really need to sort out their extortianate p&p charges and be totally upfront about their 'no quibble' mbg which actually isn't anything of the kind.

Amazon is superb, very competitive, both price and postage, also delivery times are excellent and I love the option of a next day delivery, somthing QVC could and should offer. QVC though is entertainment too, also its often companionship, live intil 2am, always 'someone there' However, amazon reviews you can say how it is, qvc reject so many of my reviews. Overall, I use both but for different things, I buy tons of books from amazon but not many household things, I see them demostated on qvc.

I always thought Amazons CS was supposed to be good. Mind you nothing beats Lakelands

Yes, great CS from Lakeland - if only they'd get the packing and delivery right in the first place. Have never had an order arrive complete, intact or undamaged!

I find Amazon really good for Yankee Candles. I have recently discovered Clinton's having "Orange Spice" as scent of the month at 25% off. They had sold out of everything but the samplers and I wanted a large tumbler. I found one on Amazon for £13.69 with £2.99 postage. As you will know on Amazon the postage is not always free. However when I added it up it was the cheapest I could find and they don't seem to have this on Q, at least on its own. I was happy to pay a reasonable postage price and it arrived very quickly. I also picked up a Christmas selection of tarts for the tart burner. There are loads of them, for a really good price whereas the Q ones you have to buy a set with a burner that I don't want or tea lights. I always check Amazon if I am looking at Kipling, I made a profit on ebay with a bag I got off Amazon. But the few Kiplings I actually do own Amazon was not the best value for money, no either did I get them from QVC. There are other online sites to buy Kipling but by far the best IMO is Kipling's own website, particularly in their Outlet section. Free delivery (though it takes a little longer as it is shipped from Belgium) and you can, of course pay via paypal. I have bought all my children's DVD's and some of their toys from Amazon, and in the days I had time to read, my REAL books! I really wanted the box set of Kavanagh QC, and Amazon was absolutely fantastic for this.

The down side of Amazon is the sheer size and lack of a real person to speak to to resolve any issues quickly. Yes, if things get lost in the post or you wish to cancel an order you can eventually sort it out online, and I have never had to use the DSR with amazon, but I do feel a psychological disadvantage with Amazon'sabsense of a human being to talk to.

Amazon doesn't cut it for me for my beauty products though, The Emma Hardie TSV was amazing value for money on Q, (and I read the beauty bloggers who also raved about it). But I also find Feel Unique very good as an alternative.

I thought Clintons had gone under? There aren't any left round here - only a few branches of Card Factory that I understood were part of the same group.

Amazon CS are fab in my experience and hard to beat despite not being UK based. Their call back facility is great, the call usually comes through instantly and I have always had very polite, helpful and competent agents. Prices are competitive and shipping often FREE, return periods are generous and in a lot of cases returns are also FREE, what could be better?? Q is useful to see a product being demonstrated but many items can often be found cheaper on Amazon (or the Bay) and they really need to sort out their extortianate p&p charges and be totally upfront about their 'no quibble' mbg which actually isn't anything of the kind.

Absolutely agree, the customer service from Amazon is superb, I've even had them bend the rules to be helpful without my even asking i.e. issuing a refund before they got the return so my broken router could be replaced as soon as possible. Polite and efficient, I really couldn't fault anything apart from the £25 threshold to get free delivery to Ireland but compared to QVC that's very appealing.

Did Clinton,s go under? The one I go to in Bristol is still there...

Just Googled to find out and, although they went into receivership earlier this year with the closure of 350 branches, they were bought by American Greetings.

Ironic that the branches near here closed when the company was started by a local man.

Latest posts

Back