Q please stop your ridiculous justificstion of p&p on air

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Exactly Strato!

It just doesn't make any sense. The colour doesn't affect the weight!

This morning they were flogging a set with some Christmas gift bags and wrapping up stuff and whatnot that I thought wasn't bad for £14 odd. Not bad value thinks I. Then you add on the £5.95 - yep, five pounds and ninety five of our English pence - and I switched the telly off whilst laughing and shaking my head. It's getting on for half the cost of the item again. Ridiculoso.

Leighton Orient; I know when I've ordered from other companies I often think said:
I do the same and I think you may be right about the impulse buying thing, but to get free P&P elsewhere I will often buy more than I intended and I think Q are missing a trick here.

Your point about linking P&P to the 30 day MBG is interesting and I was about to say that they could justify some P&P on these grounds, when I remembered AY saying that they only had companies who were prepared to operate on this basis - that sounds like its the suppliers who are bearing the brunt not Q.

Thoroughly enjoying this thread on my long train journey home - love the post BB :mysmilie_471:

I definitely think lately that the presenters are 'told' what to say on air regarding P & P. But its a bit naughty of Catherine to tell viewers that other companies always have P & P included in the price of the item. There are still many people who do not shop on line or compare prices via the internet. And of course, we know that so many hang on to every word of the presenters. The gushing T. Callers and the people who write on their blogs proves that.

I really can't get my head around the 'fans' commenting on presenters' blogs!

exactly and that was why i referred to it as a blatant lie. how dare she say the same item will be more expensive elsewhere (blatant lie no. 1) because the other companies factor the p&p into the price! (blatant lie no. 2) and that theirs is to pay the staff in the warehouse (blatant lie no. 3). i honestly haven't heard anyone else say the same - only that airhead.

Why do I pay for postage and packaging on every item?

Each item is individually packed and shipped from QVC unless you are purchasing more than one of the same item, in which case Multi Quantity applies.

That's one heck of an explanation.

QVC Germany cap their postage so it's not beyond the bound of possibility, they choose not to and they just charge what the can get away with. Oh and if you do buy those gift bags and wrap, don't forget you can send them back by the 25th of Jan 2013...hey I'm just playing by their rules! Along with your Green Whatsit turkey carcass.

If they send me "the letter" I'll send that back too...with no stamp on it!

Jude xx

In my area Karen Millen do a 90 minute delivery for £7-99,I would be willing to pay that if I needed something for the same evening.
Lynn:dull:

QVC Germany cap their postage so it's not beyond the bound of possibility, they choose not to and they just charge what the can get away with. Oh and if you do buy those gift bags and wrap, don't forget you can send them back by the 25th of Jan 2013...hey I'm just playing by their rules! Along with your Green Whatsit turkey carcass.

If they send me "the letter" I'll send that back too...with no stamp on it!

Jude xx

I am just imagining loads of used wrapping paper with sellotape on it being returned to qvc in january. That made me laugh!:mysmilie_507:

''Your point about linking P&P to the 30 day MBG is interesting and I was about to say that they could justify some P&P on these grounds, when I remembered AY saying that they only had companies who were prepared to operate on this basis - that sounds like its the suppliers who are bearing the brunt not Q.

I think you could be right about that! There goes the last excuse! (that was meant to be a quote above, but I've messed it up somewhere)

I'll iron it like my Nana used to they'll never know! Maybe they could give buyers at the Warrington outlet a free 2010 presenter calendar free with every used sheet of wrapping paper?

And I don't like gammon so I'll just pop it in a mail bag with the turkey carcass...hope it doesn't spend too long in transit over the Xmas/New Year limitied postal deliveries.

Jude xx

Why do I pay for postage and packaging on every item?

Each item is individually packed and shipped from QVC unless you are purchasing more than one of the same item, in which case Multi Quantity applies.

That's one heck of an explanation.

If you order two of the same , they charge the second one half the P& P, but they come in the same bag..........so, shouldn't it be just one P&P :thinking:

I'll iron it like my Nana used to they'll never know! Maybe they could give buyers at the Warrington outlet a free 2010 presenter calendar free with every used sheet of wrapping paper?

And I don't like gammon so I'll just pop it in a mail bag with the turkey carcass...hope it doesn't spend too long in transit over the Xmas/New Year limitied postal deliveries.

Jude xx

:puke: :puke: there will be maggots crawling in the box:puke:
Dale said again today that the 30mb means we can use and return them if we don't like them!

WHY is it 50% less postage to have 2 red dresses, but not a red and a blue version of the same dress?

And the same for saucepans, sheets, ring sizes, etc etc etc etc.

Maybe the 50% reduction in P&P is to cover the cost of employing two people to get one item each off the shelf? :wink: But it takes more effort for one person to take two items of a different colour off the shelf because they're further apart?

And I agree - it makes no sense to me either.

If the p&p helps them to cover the money back guarantee then I don't object to paying something because the guarantee is really important and something that they can rightly boast about. I do think though that there should be a cap on orders made in a single day (I refuse to buy more than one item a day because it's too annoying when you add up the postage) and they certainly should improve their dire delivery times. When it gets to last orders before Christmas they seem to manage to get the stuff out in a twinkle.

I am pretty sure their profit margins take account of the MBG, and I believe that any returns get sent back to the manufacturer, in which case, they wouldn't be paying the manufacturer for the item, the loss would be met by them. Presumably if there are too many returns of an item, tha itemt is not stocked anymore.

exactly and that was why i referred to it as a blatant lie. how dare she say the same item will be more expensive elsewhere (blatant lie no. 1) because the other companies factor the p&p into the price! (blatant lie no. 2) and that theirs is to pay the staff in the warehouse (blatant lie no. 3). i honestly haven't heard anyone else say the same - only that airhead.

I decided I would like the recent TSV slow cooker by Morphy Richards. Present Q price £24.99 + p&p. Amazon price - £24.99 - FREE p&P. case proved.

Don't be taken in by QVC's bleating on about their 30 day MBG, it's the vendors not QVC who stand the cost of all returned items. QVC "lose" their cut of the profit and the logistics costs, if it's something like clothing they get a second bite of the cherry by re-selling the item. At the end of the road, if a brand prompts too many returns the vendor will lose the most and QVC will dump them if they don't go before they're pushed. I bet 99% of return are just that, returned where the buyer pays the return postage and forfeits the outward postage (few people seem to know about the right to cancel an order under the DS regs even now).

Off at a tangent (it's what I do) do you think when they talk about the warehouses being the size of football pitches, that that means they employ actual professional footballers to do their picking and packing? It'd explain the high postage costs (the wage bill must be v high) but it goes some small way towards explaining how the wrong size or colour of item get sent out...those colours and numbers can be darn tricky. Those night-shift hours of keepy-uppy would account for any "broken in transit blame it on Hermes" items.

Jude xx

Last edited:
Oh I don't know. I doubt whether much comes out of their mouths that isn't put there or at least approved. Don't forget they have a producer continually feeding them through the ear piece "why would I need this? What are the sizes? Who could I give it to?" etc, if anyone was going off-message I think they'd be reeled in quickly.

I think this is policy. Not driven by us here although we know the read and they must see the strength of feeling, but because they are losing business and P&P has to be a major factor. The direct comparisons to pricing on Amazon cannot have gone un-noticed.

Here's an idea Q, if the P&P is such an intrinsic part of your pricing that it can't be dropped then keep it. But give us next day delivery. Your courier Hermes do it for Next and others, get them to do it for you. And if you're warehousing can't handle it, invest in the warehousing. It must be ****** rubbish if it can't get a skirt onto a van in less than 3 days.

Imagine that being offered on Q. "Order now and ring us tomorrow to tell us how much you like it". People would buy in their droves.

I now have a vision in my mind of two blokes in hi-viz waistcoats trying to squeeze a Transit in a 3XL Kim & Co floral number! :giggle:

Last edited:
...................Off at a tangent (it's what I do) do you think when they talk about the warehouses being the size of football pitches, that that means they employ actual professional footballers to do their picking and packing? It'd explain the high postage costs (the wage bill must be v high) but it goes some small way towards explaining how the wrong size or colour of item get sent out...those colours and numbers can be darn tricky. Those night-shift hours of keepy-uppy would account for any "broken in transit blame it on Hermes" items.

Jude xx

yeah, might be Steven Gerrard, I think he comes from the same part of Merseyside.

Latest posts

Back