Primers

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

caretodiffer

Registered Shopper
Please can you help....need some primer (for the face not for house paintwork:giggle:) I once tried YBF in one of the TSV, and quite liked it. Unfortunately I must have a dud one, because there was only enough in there for a trial only. I have no time to get one from QVC, so please recommend one from high street, am very grateful for suggestions:happy:

Please can you help....need some primer (for the face not for house paintwork:giggle:) I once tried YBF in one of the TSV, and quite liked it. Unfortunately I must have a dud one, because there was only enough in there for a trial only. I have no time to get one from QVC, so please recommend one from high street, am very grateful for suggestions:happy:
I"ve bought loads of primers and none of them work for me. I work long shifts sometimes in a warm place, and by the time i"m finished i have virtually no make up left on, and its one thats supposed to last 12 hours, and i top up during the day with Geller powder. So I"d be interested to hear the replies, but then you can"t send them back, but then again sometimes i never bother sending back :cheeky:

I have tried lots too. The best one for me? Ultrasun SPF 30 Face! I don't worry about my foundation coming off though as I only wear a teeny smidge. This helps me stay matt and seems to even out my skin prior to putting my foundation on. I use the Jodie Kidd eye primer stick thing. Doesn't always help with longevity but again, does a cracking job to even out skin colour and can wear alone with eye liner :D

From mobile, please excuse any silly errors!! :)

I have tried lots too. The best one for me? Ultrasun SPF 30 Face! I don't worry about my foundation coming off though as I only wear a teeny smidge. This helps me stay matt and seems to even out my skin prior to putting my foundation on. I use the Jodie Kidd eye primer stick thing. Doesn't always help with longevity but again, does a cracking job to even out skin colour and can wear alone with eye liner :D

From mobile, please excuse any silly errors!! :)

Thanks Capirossi, never thought of that , i actually have ulstrasun so will give it a go, nothing ventured , nothing gained, and i didn"t spend a penny. Like it :cash:

I like the Barbara Daly one from Tesco - it's sort of like soft fudge and a similar colour, but it doesn't give you a tan! Also a new one by Rimmel I've just bought my second tube, Protect & Fix or something like that - both reasonably inexpensive too!

If you like the models prefer/YBF primer thwn Avon Magix primer is very similar in texture and finish on the skin. It costs about £10 but is often on offer cheaper. I have mentioned Avon before and dont work for them, just have 2 or 3 products from them that I really lovee

Believe it or not I bought the last Gatineau TSV (1st time gatineau user) and although I thought the melatogenine stuff was a bit so so the absolute revelation for me was the active eclat flash radiance stuff. I was sceptical about it being a primer and "airbrushing" your complexion but it works and I am so addicted I have bought another 2 from ebay (£5 each - RESULT). I then put my LG B&B on top and it is beautiful. I am so pleased because I really wanted to like Mally's primer and LG Spackle but I just thought they were OK and with Mally's being so expensive OK wasn't good enough.

I know some forum members didn't like Sue Devitt Microquatic Fortifying Primer but I love it and have used it for years. Q have her products in clearance now, shame. I buy mine from Harvey Nicks on line. It keeps my liquid foundation looking fresh all day and having very sensitive skin this does not irritate. It is pricey, £33, but it lasts a long time.

You may want to try the YSL Matt Touch Primer 30ml, cost £29.50 from Boots. This worked for me. I have combination skin. At the moment they are giving out samples of the new touche eclat foundation at Boots. Last week the lady at the counter filled a little sample bottle of the foundation for me try. I don't see why they can't do the same for the primer. At least this way you don't lose any money if it doesn't work for you.

My friend has dry skin and she likes the Laura Gellar spackle. She buys it from ebay for £6.50 for 59 ml and this includes p&p.

Good luck with your search and I hope you find one from the dreaded high street. :devil:

I've never found a primer that does anything for my skin. But I suppose I'm lucky in that my make up stays put without and though I say so myself my skin is pretty good.

I've got a part used champagne spackle that could do with a home. I don't think it would sell on eBay and throwing it away seems wasteful when there's nothing wrong with it other than I don't see any reason to use it.

It depends on your skin type what primer is the best suited to you. Some are for oily skin, sensitive or dry skins, so whether you need a matt texture etc. Also depends on the the makeup you are wearing as well. Normal foundation you should get 6 hours out of sometimes 8. But the ones like Double Wear the new Estee Lauder Invisible and Lancome have a new one you can get 12 hours out of. The ones which are suppose to smooth out your face are silicone based and can break people out. Smashbox,Laura Mercier and I will say the YBF are all silicone based ones.

I am using Hourglass at the minute, a US brand which SpaceNK and Libertys sell. I just think of primer as an extra bit in my makeup routine, like eye shadow primer.

my fav is the philiosphy poreless. i have had it for years. its similar to a benefit one and this style of primer would suit an oilier skin. laura geller is the opposite but is water based and i like it to dry first before using a mac mineral foundation.

Ali Young said that the Laura Geller primer is the most hydrating so I tried it and it works for me. I'm a pale redhead and even the bronzing LG primer is fine, I can often get away without foundation with that one. I also use Ultrasun Face 30. I haven't tried many high street primers but I found the L'Oreal one just sort of "rolled off" my face when I put it on. I read somewhere that Tesco do a good version of Clarins Beauty Flash but I don't know if you could use that as a primer.

Marks and spencer autograph do a primer in a jar, aimed at minimising fine lines - id say its an exact match for loreal studio secrets one but the markies one is cruelty free and cheaper. Urban decay primer is good, the one aimed at minmising pores, again cruelty free. My must have eye primer is urban decays eye primer potion, nothing else worked on my oily eyelids but with primer potion my eye makeup looks as good 12 hours later and thats not an exaggeration!

At the moment my favourites are the Smashbox BB Cream and the New CID one. I also like the Mally primer, but prefer a cooler one for the steamy weather.

Latest posts

Back