Postage thoughts

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

saffie

Registered Shopper
Just had a thought, do you think QVC make money out of the postage charges, because if the say not, then why don't they do free postage from a hermes shop, I often order from a well known catalogue and my choice is home delivery or at the shop in my village same place that takes our returns via hermes.

I reckon it must go towards the 30day MBG. I can't think of any retailer who has both a 30 day MBG and free postage.

If that's the case then it's very annoying for those who don't return things. It's like high street retailers putting up prices to cover the cost of shoplifting.
Maybe qvc should offer an incentives programme with free postage until you make a return, then paying postage until you make a further three purchases without a return. It won't happen but I hardly ever buy any more because I hate the idea of spending around £10 just to try something and then send it back. I just buy tried and trusted items.

The inflated and inconsistent costs are insurance for the 30 day MBG. They won't say that, but it is. It's why you have to pay p&p for each item you buy when you're buying two or more things at once, rather than every other retailer who charge one p&p when you buy multiple items at once.

Last edited:
If they didn't charge for postage they would uplift the prices to cover that cost instead.

I just always add the P&P to the product price and then decide if I'm happy with the total price - if I am, I buy... if not, then I don't.

I don't like paying postage for each item but that's Q's business model so I take it or leave it depending on how much I want the stuff. If enough people 'leave it' then they would have to revisit their policy BUT as long as they remain profitable (and have exclusivity on certain lines for products where the customer can't go elsewhere) then I can't see anything changing.

There are always going to be items that I would buy from Q because of the 30DMG especially if it is an unknown brand (to me).
I am also in the not so common situation that the nearest department store is well over an hours drive away and even M&S is over 20 miles away so my shopping choices are very limited, yes I use eBay and Amazon but even they charge for delivery and you don't get the MBG that you get with Q even if you have used the goods. I can't see an eBay seller taking a pot of moisturiser back after a month and giving me a full refund yes there are the distant selling regulations but goods have to be returned in a saleable condition.
I am not defending the high cost of Q's postage but for some things it is well worth it for me at least.
But you are all more than capable of making up your own minds if it is worth it for you.
Know one is forcing anyone of us to buy from Q but time after time we chose to and each of us has our own reasons for doing so.

Why when most places are a lot cheaper than Q?

Because QVC is a business - businesses (should) set prices that will cover their operating costs plus make a profit for shareholders and reinvesting.

Their current model covers their costs and returns a profit acceptable to them. If they didn't charge for postage, that loss would eat into their overall profit margin - unlikely to be sustainable without recouping it in another way. As they are a retailer, that is most likely to mean price increases.

Anyway, at the moment they have no incentive to change things - they are profitable, customers continue to buy, so (from their perspective) why should they?

Because QVC is a business - businesses (should) set prices that will cover their operating costs plus make a profit for shareholders and reinvesting.

Their current model covers their costs and returns a profit acceptable to them. If they didn't charge for postage, that loss would eat into their overall profit margin - unlikely to be sustainable without recouping it in another way. As they are a retailer, that is most likely to mean price increases.

Anyway, at the moment they have no incentive to change things - they are profitable, customers continue to buy, so (from their perspective) why should they?

Well judging by the disaster that was the Loccitane Tsv maybe customers have wised up ?

More and more people are shopping around before buying so wont be long before Qvc will need to shake things up.

and you don't get the MBG that you get with Q even if you have used the goods. I can't see an eBay seller taking a pot of moisturiser back after a month and giving me a full refund yes there are the distant selling regulations but goods have to be returned in a saleable condition.

If you bought three items, two of which you returned under the 30 day MBG then QVC could close your account as an 'unprofitable customer', so the MBG is very limited in its overall usefulness. Particularly when you're encouraged by presenters to buy 'several in different sizes'.

If they didn't charge for postage they would uplift the prices to cover that cost instead.

I just always add the P&P to the product price and then decide if I'm happy with the total price - if I am, I buy... if not, then I don't.

I don't like paying postage for each item but that's Q's business model so I take it or leave it depending on how much I want the stuff. If enough people 'leave it' then they would have to revisit their policy BUT as long as they remain profitable (and have exclusivity on certain lines for products where the customer can't go elsewhere) then I can't see anything changing.

that is excatly how i feel i dont mind the postage at all

Ian, do you buy much from Q? I imagine there is little to appeal to men but perhaps you buy for your family.

Do you think we ladies are a wee bit mean! Maybe we buy heavier items!

I have said for years they make money from the postage(even going back when it was much cheaper), I think it might be more to do with covering themselves for the stuff that never arrives.

Think about it. If we return they want us to pay for tracking and prove we posted it to them. Yet they send or did as I have not order for long time, expensive jewellery bog stand royal mail post.

The trouble with Hermes click and collect is if you don't live in a main city, you would have to travel miles perhaps to collect and if its heavy and have no car. I know in Belfast I have never seen any, well there is a collect in the Tesco express down the road a mile walk does it for their own stuff only. You go collect take it home find it damaged, so how do you prove they damaged it and not you?

Therefore there is no need to factor the returns into the P&P

I think its to cover their own items like the Diamonique etc In fact all the stuff that ends up selling for peanuts in the outlets. i went to an outlet once & there was rails & rails of clothes for 99p! Loads of jewellery, pots & pans, bedding etc. But then they also sell Kelly Hoppen, Yankee Candles etc so if the vendors take the hit on returns how come Q sell it in their outlets?

QVC haven't adapted their p&p in twenty one years and that'll be their down fall. Apart from the beauty TSVs everything QVC sell can be bought cheaper elsewhere with free p&p and money back guarantee. I always used to shop with them out of habit but the more I checked before I bought, I found QVC the was dearest place which I found odd considering their massive "buying power"

I know it's their business model and they're free to do exactly what they want but I wish they'd just factor p&p into the price and tell me exactly what's going out of my bank account when I see the price on the screen. I know I can do it but it's after all inconveniencing me, the customer, albeit in a small way, and no sensible business should want to do that. I'd be happy to pay for returns on that basis, unless the item was faulty or damaged, in which case they should pick up the tab for selling an item that's not fit for purpose. Ridiculous p&p charges often put me off buying because I can usually get the item cheaper elsewhere, often a lot cheaper.

Latest posts

Back