Pet Munchies Warning.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

louise66

Registered Shopper
Can I start by saying, I didn't purchase these from the Q, as I got a great deal at another online pet shop. My boxers are fed a semi holistic diet, organic and natural, so despite the cost these treats were a given for my two, I thought. My eldest has a problem with his throat right now, so I am extra careful of the composition/texture/shape of snacks I feed him. I opened the chicken strips first. They are quite sharp, and thin. I wouldn't give him one whole, in case it hurt his throat. I done the same for his son, too. Granted, the pack lasted quite a while. Next to try, was the chicken fillets. Again, I would NEVER give either of them one of these whole, as I would be afraid they would choke if one did - and quite possibly could - get stuck in their throats. I break one down the middle, and horizontally 4 times. There is another pack of 'coins' which should be okay. The snacks are, generically, hard, not moist. I'm vegetarian but, from what I know, they remind me of pork scratchings. I know now which ones NOT to buy for them. Whilst the quality seems excellent, real meat, natural food suitable for my babies' sensitive stomachs/palates, don't think I'll buy again, as I'd rather be safe than sorry. Also, I'm unsure as to how digestible they are.
Just thought I'd mention my findings, something to be aware of if you're thinking of buying these for your dogs. They are expensive, as is anything I feel, if you don't use them. At least if you buy from GWJ Titmuss, 10/8, you can choose which varieties you want.

One of those raw hide bones nearly killed my dog. It got stuck inside. When I Googled it, I found hundreds of similar incidents in the US.

My dog nearly choked on these snacks - I had to put my fingers diwn his throat to pull it out but assumed it was because he is such a guzzler - we threw them away after that happened

Think that's what I'm going to do - I'll keep the smaller ones and the fish, but toss the liver fillets and the chicken fillets. These treats shouldn't be available to give to our dogs, they're hazardous.

I agree with you and am very surprised by the positive reviews. We considered snashing the fillets up and feeding them in very small portions but I think the edges would be sharp, abd am not prepared to take any chances.

Last year a friend of mine dog died after getting a bone caught in his throat , so im extra careful what I give mine from now .

I've been giving these to my shih tzu puppy for the last 6 months, with no problems at all.

Admittedly, I cut everything up into half centimetre cubes before training. It's a long, boring job with kitchen scissors, but just one chicken chip would be a day's treat quota, and this way he gets plenty of tiny treats (which he LOVES), and I get a decent training session.

Surely it is more about size and shape rather than the nature of the treat itself? And it's easy to cut them into sizes to suit your dog. They are certainly much more nutritious than most other dog treats I've seen.

We've tried chicken breast, duck, chicken chips, fish strips, something and cheese... No problems at all.

One of those raw hide bones nearly killed my dog. It got stuck inside. When I Googled it, I found hundreds of similar incidents in the US.

The risks of rawhide chews are well publicised. I'm surprised anyone still sells them. The rawhide fibres may swell up inside the dog.

Neither QVC or Pet Munchies have anything to do with rawhide.

The risks of rawhide chews are well publicised. I'm surprised anyone still sells them. The rawhide fibres may swell up inside the dog.

Neither QVC or Pet Munchies have anything to do with rawhide.

I'd not seen them on QVC, but thought I'd add to the OP's post to warn others that weren't aware of the dangers of rawhide. I had no idea they could be dangerous. They're on sale at most pet shops so thought nothing of giving a "treat" to my boy. It was only after a visit to the vet I was made aware, then after Googling I saw how common it is that dogs are killed and injured with these things.

My friend was with me when my dog was ill, yet still gives them to her dogs and she hasn't had problems.

I've been giving these to my shih tzu puppy for the last 6 months, with no problems at all.

Admittedly, I cut everything up into half centimetre cubes before training. It's a long, boring job with kitchen scissors, but just one chicken chip would be a day's treat quota, and this way he gets plenty of tiny treats (which he LOVES), and I get a decent training session.

Surely it is more about size and shape rather than the nature of the treat itself? And it's easy to cut them into sizes to suit your dog. They are certainly much more nutritious than most other dog treats I've seen.

We've tried chicken breast, duck, chicken chips, fish strips, something and cheese... No problems at all.

I would be happy to spend as long as necessary cutting up snacks but found the edges sharp and our vet watned us that sharp edges can scratch a dog's throat or stomach lining. We cook fresh chicken fillets as an occadional treat as it's also gentle on our boy's sensitive tummy

Personally, I am uber cautious when it comes to my two guys. I've witnessed the results of feeding my boxers these treats and, as I said, I believe they are a nutritious supplementary dog food but, consequently, the reactions of two big dogs, when trying to chew these fillets, in pieces, was so horrifying, it scared me. I won't be feeding them again.
To others, whose dogs haven't had a problem, neither had mine till I gave them these. Your dog may have been eating them without incident but who is to say that, at some point in the future nothing untoward will happen? I just think that, when it comes to my babies, I am not willing to take any chances. I would say that, even if there is only the slightest possibility of them causing a dog distress and discomfort, STOP feeding them. It is not worth it. There are other holistic/natural/organic treats out there just as nutritious.

I attempted to 'write a review' on this item. What I said was factually correct; it happened. I spent the time writing it, in order to avoid a possible mishap, even fatality in someone's dog. It was rejected. Obviously, QVC does not regard the safety of our dogs, above it's sales figures. I have noticed, via comments posted on this forum, that more and more reviewers are having their feedback rejected. As with twitter, don't ask us to do it, if you are going to ignore it. Reviews are supposed to assist a potential buyer in his/her purchase; it is not a definitive sales blocker. The gamut of the reviews is supposed to be impartial. I also commended the treats for being nutritionally beneficial for dogs, so I cannot comprehend the reason for not publishing it. We care about our dogs, and any information which would help us not to endanger them in any way, would be greatly appreciated. Thankfully, shoppingtelly allows us to 'voice' our concerns.
We are always being told, the reviews are assessed by an independent company; perhaps, but I'm positive the guidelines for accepting/declining a review are established by QVC.
Yet another apathetic move by the Q, to make us feel undervalued as customers.

Latest posts

Back