Paraben Free at QVC?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Love A'kin

QualityVariesConsiderably
Offhand does anybody know of any ranges or individual products at QVC which are paraben free?

I do wish they'd list the ingredients on the website instead of their often slightly inaccurate or more or less meaningless descriptions!

laura geller and l'occitane.
i think so is smashbox, but please correct me if i am wrong.

xxxxx

Yes a tricky one discussed plenty. Try and seek out a US site generally and then you will find full ingredients listing.

Think I remember YBF by Stacey mentioning parabens had been removed from the range since Models Prefer incarnation. Could probably remember a few more but what are you looking for specifically ie hair, make up, etc

...and i know for sure that liz earle isn't!!!

I think mostly liz earle is except for the brightening treatment and a mens product (those are what i know)

but she talks bout it on her website that some arent as bad. i trust her brand though so i would use what she says is good.

Are parabens safe?
Unlike some other preservative systems, parabens have a long established history of safety and are highly effective, which is why they are so widely used in the food, pharmaceutical and beauty industries. They are considered safe because of their low toxicity as well as being rapidly metabolised and excreted when eaten in foods, i.e. they don’t accumulate or get stored in the tissues of the body. Traces of parabens’ breakdown products are normally found in the urine of healthy people as they are a natural by-product of the amino acid tyrosine (found in many foods and some health food supplements) being broken down by the digestive process. Studies showing the presence of parabens and their breakdown products in urine are perfectly normal and the parabens could be there as a result of food and not necessarily from absorption through the skin of skincare products. Far from being dangerous, the main precursor of the parabens 4-hydroxybenzoic acid is actually also a precurser for ubiquinones (Co-enzyme Q10) which is essential for healthy oxygenation of our bodies (some people take additional dietary supplements of Co-enzyme Q10 to help increase energy levels). On the skin, parabens are generally non-irritating and non-sensitising unless you have a specific paraben allergy.

So why the negative publicity?
The reason for the bad press comes from both mis-interpretation and flawed scientific studies: A study in 1998 by Dr Routledge et al reported mild oestrogenic activity in some paraben esters (no activity was discovered in methyl paraben). However, the activity was so weak it was almost undetectable, being 100,000 times weaker than oestradiol (the reference standard against which all oestrogenic activity is measured). Some oestrogens are known to increase the growth of tumours, although that is not the case here as the mutagenic activity of estrogens depends on different free radical chemistry. However, this first study then led to further work by researchers attempting to find parabens in breast cancer tissue. The reason for this study was that the researchers believed parabens to be present in most under-arm deodorants and anti-perspirants. ‘, parabens are not and never have been ingredients in the vast majority of under-arm toiletries. This is because preservatives are not generally required in these types of formulations (they are either aerosols, or generally contain alcohol and other ingredients such as aluminium or zirconium salts and so do not require further preservation). There are a few brands which previously contained parabens, and a handful that still do, but 95% of the market are formulated without parabens and always have been. Despite the rumours, they were not subsequently removed en-masse following this study as they were not present in the majority in the first instance. These researchers found traces of parabens in a study of 20 breast cancer tissues. However, parabens were also found in the blank controls – in fact, one of the ‘blank’ controls contained more total parabens than 12 of the tissue samples and the second highest ‘blank’ contained more parabens than 9 of the tissue samples. So, parabens were present in both the breast cancer tissue samples and the blank controls! Peer-review has shown this to be a highly flawed study and instead of being present in the breast cancer tissue, it is more likely that the parabens (measured in parts per billion) was actually already present on the glassware. Later reviews of this trial now conclude that the presence of parabens in the tumour tissues is most likely to have come from contamination of the laboratory apparatus used in the trial.

Other studies quoted to discredit parabens include a trial where an adverse oestrogenic effect on fish was discovered by injecting fish with very large amounts of parabens, at levels of 100-300mg/kg bodyweight (not something that is likely to occur either in fish or humans). Studies on rats and mice have also shown some disruption to sperm by feeding them large quantities of parabens, but again, we are not likely to eat the vast amounts of parabens involved and many toxicologists do not accept these findings as either relevant or valid. Such is the mis-information and mythology surrounding parabens as ingredients that, in skincare, some products now declare themselves to be ‘parabens free,’ as if this is a virtue. This highlights the dangers to consumers of some companies supporting inaccurate information and is one of the reasons why this factsheet has been compiled.

http://us.lizearle.com/index_2.php?userpage=factsheetpreserve

the traditional LE products are not paraben free, including C&P, because she hasn't found a good alternative to use as a preservative. we had a discussion on LE blog about this last year.
i agree though about the actual danger of parabens.

the traditional LE products are not paraben free, including C&P, because she hasn't found a good alternative to use as a preservative. we had a discussion on LE blog about this last year.
i agree though about the actual danger of parabens.

Really! what are the exact problems with them?

if you visit her block, you will find all the info, i hope. xxxx

Thanks M'Dears. I'm starting to try to go paraben, SLS and phthalate free but I'm still learning.

I'm using A'kin for skincare which I'm very happy with and I'm just trying to educate myself about QVC brands because sometimes while I'm on the phone asking about ingredients things sell out! A Louise Galvin Try Me was the last one to do that - and I never did get a complete answer from QVC CS.

I found this site:

http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/

and a quote from The Daily Mail

Traditional argument is that our skin doesn't absorb parabens. Not so says Dr Barbara Olioso, a professional chemist who acts as an independent adviser for brands formulating cosmetics without chemicals. 'Research shows that between 20 and 60 per cent of parabens in cosmetics may be absorbed by the body,' she says. 'They have been found in urine, which proves parabens travel through our systems.'

taken from http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/b...-From-soap-shampoo--daily-shower-bad-you.html

Liz Earle's view:

http://blog.lizearle.com/lizearle/2...p=google_skincare&kw=Paraben-free+cosmetics+e

Last edited:
anyone who really does want to use little or no chemiclas have to have a very limited skincare routine and stick to the basics i suppose.
marsailles soap (l'occitane sell these) are all free from parabens as they dont need lots of ingredients to keep it liqiud. liqiud soaps,handwashes ets are going to rely on a lot more chemicals to keep them stable etc...
body creams, lotions i suppose you could use pure shea butter that has hardly anything in it at all!
i love body lotions that use quality oils as this can hepl preserve the product i suppose...
its difficult but in a nut shell do we use too much stuff anyway in the pursuit of beauty?

I'm definitely one of those people who has too many products.

I'm really thrilled with A'Kin as a skincare range, but I don't want to be limited to A'Kin only on QVC.

As I finish up the make up haircare and bodycare products I'm using now I'm hoping to have healthier alternatives lined up to replace them.

I'm definitely going to try more A'Kin but I'm trying to find out what other options I have within QVC's brands because for me being able to try things out at home is a big plus.

I've bookmarked QVC US because they have ingredients listings, but someone was telling me that we don't always get exactly the same products as the US. She said that especially with TSVs ours will often be made in China but the US customers won't accept that so they get a US made version. (I dunno how true that is, or if that means ingredients may differ? She also said the Japan, Canada, the EU and the US have some different rules on cosmetic ingredients so some brands have different formulas for different territories. )

Anyway, so I'm busily looking up ingredients and checking them out on the cosmetic database. They have most parabens listed as RED for danger (High Hazard) with scary sounding phrases such as "known immune system toxicant, evidence of human neurotoxicity, human skin toxicant - strong evidence, organ system toxicant, brain and nervous system toxicant at small doses, Cancer - One or more in vitro tests on mammalian cells show cell mutation results, Biochemical or cellular level disruption, interferes with gene expression, irritation skin eyes or lungs - one or more animal study shows irritation at low dosage, One or more animal studies show respiratory effects at low doses.

There's a lot to learn huh? :eek:

Decleor Iris Night Balm scores a nice green 0 on the hazardous scale! Wooooo!

Oh, but it says it has a 92% data gap which means they don't believe there's enough research done to declare it safe.

So I might have got all excited for nothing there. Sorry. :eek:

Elemis Liquid Layer only scores a 3 that's not too bad - with a 72% data gap.

Laura Geller Moisture Compound scores a 6 with a 73% data gap because of the methylparaben and fragrance it contains. (what a shame - I love that stuff!)

Blimey. So far I haven't found even one of my current products that I can definitely carry on using.

That's a little discouraging. :(

I'll carry on though, and I'll even venture out of the Q-niverse if I have to.

I might fire off an email to see if QVC CS can give me any helpful info.

I'm definitely one of those people who has too many products.

I'm really thrilled with A'Kin as a skincare range, but I don't want to be limited to A'Kin only on QVC.

As I finish up the make up haircare and bodycare products I'm using now I'm hoping to have healthier alternatives lined up to replace them.

I'm definitely going to try more A'Kin but I'm trying to find out what other options I have within QVC's brands because for me being able to try things out at home is a big plus.

I've bookmarked QVC US because they have ingredients listings, but someone was telling me that we don't always get exactly the same products as the US. She said that especially with TSVs ours will often be made in China but the US customers won't accept that so they get a US made version. (I dunno how true that is, or if that means ingredients may differ? She also said the Japan, Canada, the EU and the US have some different rules on cosmetic ingredients so some brands have different formulas for different territories. )

Anyway, so I'm busily looking up ingredients and checking them out on the cosmetic database. They have most parabens listed as RED for danger (High Hazard) with scary sounding phrases such as "known immune system toxicant, evidence of human neurotoxicity, human skin toxicant - strong evidence, organ system toxicant, brain and nervous system toxicant at small doses, Cancer - One or more in vitro tests on mammalian cells show cell mutation results, Biochemical or cellular level disruption, interferes with gene expression, irritation skin eyes or lungs - one or more animal study shows irritation at low dosage, One or more animal studies show respiratory effects at low doses.

There's a lot to learn huh? :eek:

She is absolutely right, so there is no point in checking as there is no garantee you will get the same procuct ingridient wise. There are different chemicals allowed in different trading regions, which makes the whole process of global production such a mine field. There has been, for a long time, a trade embargo against China from the US - hence little products made from China are sold in the US (although that is by no means concrete, as many items can be imported via other countries, where the embargo is not in operation). I also believe that there has been some lifting of that with certain things, but am not sure what they are.

If you truly want to be totally healthy about this then there is a wealth of information on the internet about homemade alternatives which only use natural ingredients :)

Some are very good alternatives for a little effort but ofen there is a sacrifice in that we have gotten used to the results and convenience the chemists have given us in the name of progress.

As an add on, isn't the Ojon Tawaka shampoo and conditioner something like 99% natural?

No lots of the TSVs cosmetic usually makeup are made in China. The community board on QVC US goes nuts about anything made in China, clothes etc as well.

They the Americans are paranoid about anything not made in Amercia. They think it will be poisoned, no really you read the boards and that is the main complaint. Over in the US they seem to get scares about toothpaste, and other things which are recalled and then found to be made in China and fake.

There was a big brand petfoods scare last year, many pets dogs and cats did become ill. The brand had all their stuff made in China and it had become contaminated. It was found many well known pet food brands over there where actually made in China. Ours by the way come from Germany mainly. One ingredient a wheat had been sprayed with some sort of weed killer which stayed on through the processing of the food.

So any product handbag to makeup showing made in China is a soruce of fear from them.

Smashbox get their packaging and some brushes made in China this shows on the details on QVC US. They then have a gang screaming I will not buy that its made in China.

Oh and they are not mad on products from Europe either they want it made in the USA.

Last edited:
Love A'kin, Ally & Mally!,

This isn't a QVC brand, but if you go into Boots you'll find a brand called Naked. They produce haircare and bath/shower products. Anyway, the brand is absolutely paraben and sulphate-free.

I find their shampoos excellent - particularly the lovely Detox one. I try to use a sulphate-free shampoo because my dye job costs me a fortune and sulphates strip the colour out too quickly! You'll probably need to do a repeat wash, but I don't find that a hardship.

HTH

Latest posts

Back