OH, Pleeeeease !

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Treasure every moment with her Boff, I would give anything to spend just one more day with my Mum - and my Dad.
My beautiful mum died 8 years ago. Every minute of the day is sad when I think about my loss. Nothing in the world prepares you for losing your mother. She was my rock. My best friend. My guiding star. My everything. I wish I could be with my mum again. But I can't x

Mum died in 2008 and you who had lovely mums were lucky.
I was sad when she died but to be honest my sister and I might as well have never existed after my brother was born. After he got married and they had children well the world revolved round them. They could do no wrong regardless of the fact my nephew ran up phone bills of over £400 and my mother complained about him to me. I told her she should tell my brother and make him cover the bill but she wouldn't.

Patsy that is so sad. Although I have witnessed such families where the parents favour one child over the others. Personally I cannot get my head around that. You have kids which should be loved equally. You've created these beings who all have different personalities, and if parents are too thick to understand this when they embark on parent hood then they should have thought hard before starting a family.

The agony columns are full of adult kids recounting the lack of love and attention from their parents while a sibling has copped for the lot. My Dad used to criticise my younger brother a lot (well he was a bit of a sod), but I would rigorously defend him and my other brother, as I didn't want him growing up and have the feeling of being 'left out', we were all equal in my eyes, and I wasn't having any of it when Dad started kicking off.

Patsy that is so sad. Although I have witnessed such families where the parents favour one child over the others. Personally I cannot get my head around that. You have kids which should be loved equally. You've created these beings who all have different personalities, and if parents are too thick to understand this when they embark on parent hood then they should have thought hard before starting a family.

The agony columns are full of adult kids recounting the lack of love and attention from their parents while a sibling has copped for the lot. My Dad used to criticise my younger brother a lot (well he was a bit of a sod), but I would rigorously defend him and my other brother, as I didn't want him growing up and have the feeling of being 'left out', we were all equal in my eyes, and I wasn't having any of it when Dad started kicking off.
To be honest my sister and I weren't particularly bothered for some reason. My dad was the same after mum died. The only time I got upset and angry with him was when he as good as said he couldn't trust me with his money. I was livid , I bit my tongue before I had a row telling him it wasn't me that was fraudulently using his debut card to pay for vets fees,car repairs multiple mobile phones.
I remember telling my sister and she said he had commented on my being angry and my brother in law,never one to not say anything, told him he wasn't surprised I was angry.
Dad used to have the habit of looking into the corner of his room thinking I'm not looking so I can't here you.
Ah well you can choose your friends but not your family.

Oh country dancing. Whoever thought that one up for the curriculum in the Dept of Education, had a warped sense of humour ! and the music, my gawd, when I think back, there we were all spinning around like extras from the Exorcist with plaits flying in the air, while the 'Miss' stood clapping in time next to the pianist or record player.
We didn't have country dancing but we had to sing old English folk songs in our music class when I was in primary school🙄. We had an old battleaxe of a pianist who looked about 90 with her hair set in concrete! She never smiled. And my school was an inner city school in the 1970s, folk music wasn't really part of our lives!

The 70's ? think yourself lucky you weren't subjected to lessons in the 50's and 60's ! The era when our legs were slapped if we didn't do as we were told - and this was infants school ! and yes we had the Janet & John books when learning to read - made infamous by Wogie.

The 70's ? think yourself lucky you weren't subjected to lessons in the 50's and 60's ! The era when our legs were slapped if we didn't do as we were told - and this was infants school ! and yes we had the Janet & John books when learning to read - made infamous by Wogie.
Yeah, you got me there! We still had the cane, you had to line up outside the headmasters office but honestly I never received it. And I used to love the send up of the Janet and John books (they were often quite rude!), my late mum always used to listen to Terry Wogan's breakfast show. I also remember my mum buying me Enid Blyton and Penguin books which are now sent up in greetings cards, like "Five drink lashings of gin"🤣

We did Irish and Scots dancing, I prefer the Irish, you didn't have to hold your arms up in the air all the time.

I was chatting with a friend this morning about being children in the 60s and the difference compared to today. If you fell and hurt yourself, you were to told to get up you'll be alright. Now, they would call in counciling to talk you through the trauma. Yesterday, talking to my big brother on Skype, he told me the story of how he was messing around with a balloon and swallowed it. Or course it was not blown up, and he thought he was going to die. My granny just told him he would be alright and not to worry it would come out the other end.

I was at primary school in the 60's and yes, I remember the leg smacking. I also remember being told to stand in the corner for asking to go to the toilet during class and also having to sit in a corner of the dinner hall all afternoon because I wouldn't eat my tapioca. I was about 7 years old and I hated that school and went on to hate secondary as well. Blackboard dusters chucked at your head, huge tennis shoes blasted over your hands, bullying, teachers humiliating you. Hated school. Wouldn't be allowed today.

I liked Brownies though and we did country dancing there. I was pretty rubbish though :LOL: 🤭

CC

I hated school too, many of the teachers clearly hated their job and took it out on us. I remember our careers teacher shouting that we were all useless and none of us would ever get a job or amount to anything. I've spotted a few old school friends on Facebook and they're doing well - nurses, hairdressers, office workers, civil servants, most of them married with children. Not the failures our so called careers teacher predicted. I did have a very good English teacher who really encouraged a love of reading. She said try to read for 20 minutes a day - it doesn't matter whether it's Shakespeare, a comic or recipes - it will increase your vocabulary. I like the way she wasn't snooty about what we should read.

I did have a few good secondary teachers, and at least I was taught typing which put in good stead for my first job in a typing pool when I left school in 1965. I then went to night school to learn Shorthand - which I can still do !

Hockey was my nemesis though, I loathed it, and I remember going to the 'hut' where all the equipment was and there was a huge pile of black hockey plimsolls that we had to pick through for our size. God knows how old these things were and I couldn't bear to think of all the feet had worn them before over the years. ugh ugh !

Oh, hockey. I was always put in goal. Netball goal again, and I was one of the shortest in the class.
We did netball in junior school, I was off sick for 3 weeks when they started it. Everyone was taught the rules at the start. When I returned I wasn't told any rules, I just had to get on with it. I was always Wing Defence, literally had no idea what I was doing! In senior school we used to do cross country running which meant we were away from the teachers who never checked on us😋. I quite liked that...

I did have a few good secondary teachers, and at least I was taught typing which put in good stead for my first job in a typing pool when I left school in 1965. I then went to night school to learn Shorthand - which I can still do !

Hockey was my nemesis though, I loathed it, and I remember going to the 'hut' where all the equipment was and there was a huge pile of black hockey plimsolls that we had to pick through for our size. God knows how old these things were and I couldn't bear to think of all the feet had worn them before over the years. ugh ugh !
I was in the office last week. Was talking to one my my team and touch typing at the same time. She was absolutely in awe. QWERTY trained. Most folks seem to use two fingers to type these days.

I was in the office last week. Was talking to one my my team and touch typing at the same time. She was absolutely in awe. QWERTY trained. Most folks seem to use two fingers to type these days.
We had to tie a apron shaped cloth over the keyboard with our hands underneath so no peeking at the keys. We also had that record which taught you to hit the keys to the beat and of course the “carriage return” at the end of the line

I can type properly and have my certificates for touch typing and audio etc.

What I noticed when doing computer studios, yes most just typed two fingers and passed exams without a problem. I did the EU Driving Licence, which has nothing to do with driving a car. PowerPoint and things like that, I loved doing the charts and diagrams straight typing I got bored. Even my tutor said I did excellent charts and diagrams. I thought thanks, that makes happy.

I remember a girl in my class, I think P2, as it was putting her hand up to ask to go to the toilet. The teacher said no. She wet herself, and it was all over the chair she was sitting on, so the teacher had to clear it up and move the rest of us out of the way. Now, I think deserves you right for not letting her go to the toilet.

Latest posts

Back