Not doing so bad....

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Brissles

Registered Shopper
Spoken before about the many cash ventures that Langsford and her old man are involved in, well alongside QVC, and Equity Release, and foot vibrator, and tv presenting, oh and giving talks on a river cruise, I was perusing the ads for cruising in the next couple of years, and the old man pops up AGAIN ! My favoured cruise line - Cunard, have only got him aboard one of the ship cruising the Canaries, for an evening of entertainment/talk. Sorry, and I know he has a huge tax bill to pay, but this pair would hoik themselves up for anything for a free meal and holiday. I wont be booking THAT cruise.

There are many cruises running advertising being with (non-name) whether they go or not I have no idea.If I was drawn to make a booking the add on price to listen to X would put me off

I don’t know a thing about a huge tax bill needing paying.
I maybe wrong but doesn’t most of us pay tax on what we are required to pay tax on. Also at a rate/amount adjusted accordingly as required and that payments owing can’t be avoided. Cause if so it will come back to bite you at some time. Surely you can’t then complain about the large amount owing as you have not been paying.

Generally there are various 'speakers' on cruises, and some can be interesting. I remember seeing Jane Russell a few years ago, and it was fascinating listening to her about her film career and her friendship with Marilyn Monroe. Another good one was Celia Imrie, just after the Exotic Marigold Hotel film came out. Eamonn Holmes is not exactly sprinkled with star dust - more like Hoover dust.

Spoken before about the many cash ventures that Langsford and her old man are involved in, well alongside QVC, and Equity Release, and foot vibrator, and tv presenting, oh and giving talks on a river cruise, I was perusing the ads for cruising in the next couple of years, and the old man pops up AGAIN ! My favoured cruise line - Cunard, have only got him aboard one of the ship cruising the Canaries, for an evening of entertainment/talk. Sorry, and I know he has a huge tax bill to pay, but this pair would hoik themselves up for anything for a free meal and holiday. I wont be booking THAT cruise.
I've fallen down a rabbit hole on YouTube. It recommended me a video about cruising, so I watched another one. Having always pooh-poohed the idea of going on a cruise, now I want to go on one! It will be a lot more expensive as I'd be a solo traveller, but the line I most want to try is Viking. Cunard seems a bit too formal for me.

Shameless pair, ugh. Stand by, it could be Harry and Meghan next! Release equity in your £11,000,000 home while waiting for pater to fall off the perch and bung you a fat bundle. Or how about a line of baby products called Archie and Lil? Endless possibilities to keep them afloat.

I've fallen down a rabbit hole on YouTube. It recommended me a video about cruising, so I watched another one. Having always pooh-poohed the idea of going on a cruise, now I want to go on one! It will be a lot more expensive as I'd be a solo traveller, but the line I most want to try is Viking. Cunard seems a bit too formal for me.
MML yes, that's the trouble with cruising, as a solo you get ****** stung for single supplement. They stick around 3/4 on the price. I always say it would be cheaper for me to pay half of a companions fare as it would still be cheaper and I'd get company !!! I do try and get a single cabin, and on Cunard they all have a sea view. Cunard is mainly for grown ups - its rare for families with small children to be on board, which suits me, but my main reason for going with them is they have designated dance hosts who's job it is to dance with single ladies. Nothing worse than watching couples sashaying around the dance floor and you're sat there like a wallflower. Some chaps can be hopeless but most are pretty good and I've had some great nights dancing.

MML yes, that's the trouble with cruising, as a solo you get ****** stung for single supplement. They stick around 3/4 on the price. I always say it would be cheaper for me to pay half of a companions fare as it would still be cheaper and I'd get company !!! I do try and get a single cabin, and on Cunard they all have a sea view. Cunard is mainly for grown ups - its rare for families with small children to be on board, which suits me, but my main reason for going with them is they have designated dance hosts who's job it is to dance with single ladies. Nothing worse than watching couples sashaying around the dance floor and you're sat there like a wallflower. Some chaps can be hopeless but most are pretty good and I've had some great nights dancing.
I've only been on one cruise, and I fancied doing that job myself, as I could dance as well as the hosts could. But OH wasn't impressed with my idea :(

I knew a chap pushing 80 who was a dance host on small cruise ships for a while. He was a creep but he had a good figure and looked the part. He got a free or much reduced holiday. I think he was hoping to find a wealthy widow and in fact spent some time with someone he’d met on board. She soon packed him off though. He was a real cheapskate who expected the women to buy him drinks.

I knew a chap pushing 80 who was a dance host on small cruise ships for a while. He was a creep but he had a good figure and looked the part. He got a free or much reduced holiday. I think he was hoping to find a wealthy widow and in fact spent some time with someone he’d met on board. She soon packed him off though. He was a real cheapskate who expected the women to buy him drinks.
I once met a guy like that at the airport, there I was just getting a seat and this guy barged in, pulling my chair out and saying "hey, may I join you?" Alarm bells. Chat chat chat. I was in the bar, not the general seating. So the waitress comes over and I order large glass of wine and a sandwich and she asks him what he wants. If I wasn't on my game (I'm always on it) I might not have noticed that he ordered a large whisky and the platter. Hah. No chance matey. I did point out to the waitress that we weren't together and the bills would be separate. Two nano seconds later he had gone. Beware the spongers and conmen people.

CC

Generally there are various 'speakers' on cruises, and some can be interesting. I remember seeing Jane Russell a few years ago, and it was fascinating listening to her about her film career and her friendship with Marilyn Monroe. Another good one was Celia Imrie, just after the Exotic Marigold Hotel film came out. Eamonn Holmes is not exactly sprinkled with star dust - more like Hoover dust.
Listening to Ruth and her husband would not be an incentive for me to book a cruise. I've never been on one, and don't plan to, but ... never say never ! I find Ruth to be false and condescending. She wants to promote the idea that she is 'just plain folks.' In reality, I don't believe she is nearly as humble as she wants us to believe.

I once met a guy like that at the airport, there I was just getting a seat and this guy barged in, pulling my chair out and saying "hey, may I join you?" Alarm bells. Chat chat chat. I was in the bar, not the general seating. So the waitress comes over and I order large glass of wine and a sandwich and she asks him what he wants. If I wasn't on my game (I'm always on it) I might not have noticed that he ordered a large whisky and the platter. Hah. No chance matey. I did point out to the waitress that we weren't together and the bills would be separate. Two nano seconds later he had gone. Beware the spongers and conmen people.

CC
Piling on the compliments from someone you don't know can also indicate that someone is less than honest in more ways than one .

Grizzy - tell me about it ! I did the online dating bit a few years ago, and I didn't so much look for romance, but viewed the 'dates' as someone to have a bit of lunch with, and with that mindset I wasn't disappointed, but it was a bonus if they were 'fanciable'.

I met a fair amount of 'characters', and those that used 'darlin' on a first meet would not progress to the 2nd date. I would think "oh, pleeease". Then there were the ones who despite being in my age group (a teenager in the 60's), would turn up looking like a grandad from the 1940's ! I'm not picky but I do have 'specifics' - clean nails are must, good teeth - also a must if they intend to be kissed, and general pride in their appearance. If things progressed further I would still insist on sharing any meal bills - never be beholding even at our age !

Yes I did meet some howlers, but also a lot of really nice chaps who were more than passable and made intelligent conversation - always a plus, and a few I met with more than a couple of times. You also have to suss those who claim to be 'separated' then find they are still living with the wife - but of course they 'lead separate lives' - yeah right. Recent widowers you quickly realise are still grieving, obviously can't cope on their own, and are looking for someone to cook the dinner.

However, I did meet the final love of my life although I didn't realise it at the time. Big problem - he lived in Zurich, Switzerland. Lots of correspondence for 6 months, photos and speaking on the phone. Then he visited his parents here in the UK, so we decided to meet up. Wow ! he stood waiting in the carpark of a motorway service station, and it was a bit of a heart skipping moment when you just 'knew'. I couldn't have been more 'breathless' if it was George Clooney standing there. Anyway, the romance kicked off big time, and as I was retired and he worked from home, we managed to alternate monthly visits to each other. This carried on for over a year while we discussed a more permanent arrangement, but it was not to be, he contracted oesophageal cancer, so I spent the following year spending more time over there, most of it visiting him in hospital (which knocks our NHS into a cocked hat re cleanliness and organisation), but he finally succumbed, and I lost him just 2 years after we met. They always say its better to have love and lost than never have loved at all - so true in my case.

His final wish was for his ashes to be spread in the gardens of the stately home where we had our first date - surprising for me because I expected him to want to be scattered near the Alps where he lived, but his sons respected his wishes, and so together with their families they brought them here, and we had a beautiful ceremony, after getting permission from the Head Gardener. A bench has been placed where his ashes rest, with a plaque in both English and Swiss German.

Last edited:
Grizzy - tell me about it ! I did the online dating bit a few years ago, and I didn't so much look for romance, but viewed the 'dates' as someone to have a bit of lunch with, and with that mindset I wasn't disappointed, but it was a bonus if they were 'fanciable'.

I met a fair amount of 'characters', and those that used 'darlin' on a first meet would not progress to the 2nd date. I would think "oh, pleeease". Then there were the ones who despite being in my age group (a teenager in the 60's), would turn up looking like a grandad from the 1940's ! I'm not picky but I do have 'specifics' - clean nails are must, good teeth - also a must if they intend to be kissed, and general pride in their appearance. If things progressed further I would still insist on sharing any meal bills - never be beholding even at our age !

Yes I did meet some howlers, but also a lot of really nice chaps who were more than passable and made intelligent conversation - always a plus, and a few I met with more than a couple of times. You also have to suss those who claim to be 'separated' then find they are still living with the wife - but of course they 'lead separate lives' - yeah right. Recent widowers you quickly realise are still grieving, obviously can't cope on their own, and are looking for someone to cook the dinner.

However, I did meet the final love of my life although I didn't realise it at the time. Big problem - he lived in Zurich, Switzerland. Lots of correspondence for 6 months, photos and speaking on the phone. Then he visited his parents here in the UK, so we decided to meet up. Wow ! he stood waiting in the carpark of a motorway service station, and it was a bit of a heart skipping moment when you just 'knew'. I couldn't have been more 'breathless' if it was George Clooney standing there. Anyway, the romance kicked off big time, and as I was retired and he worked from home, we managed to alternate monthly visits to each other. This carried on for over a year while we discussed a more permanent arrangement, but it was not to be, he contracted oesophageal cancer, so I spent the following year spending more time over there, most of it visiting him in hospital (which knocks our NHS into a cocked hat re cleanliness and organisation), but he finally succumbed, and I lost him just 2 years after we met. They always say its better to have love and lost than never have loved at all - so true in my case.

His final wish was for his ashes to be spread in the gardens of the stately home where we had our first date - surprising for me because I expected him to want to be scattered near the Alps where he lived, but his sons respected his wishes, and so together with their families they brought them here, and we had a beautiful ceremony, after getting permission from the Head Gardener. A bench has been placed where his ashes rest, with a plaque in both English and Swiss German.
Bittersweet.

How lovely. And so true. The Queen once said that pain is the price we pay for love (that isn't exact, but close to what she said), and it is so true. It is beyond wonderful to meet someone special and share a connection. It is the quality rather than quantity of time you have, I would say...but if the time is quality, who wouldn't want more of it?

My OH persuaded me to do one. I told him to book a local one as I might jump ship so we did a med cruise. I got fed up of seeing so much food and the wastage. Didn’t like the entertainment. Our bed was xtremely comfortable though and the cabin nice. Unfortunately cruising is not for me

Latest posts

Back