New website - survey - beware?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

AllThatGlitters

Registered Shopper
Today I clicked on a jewellery item, and up popped a survey page, with a voiceover in an American accent promising me a free gift if I answered four questions. I answered these rather pointless questions, and was shown a page offering me a selection of products that seemed a little strange. I checked out reviews for two of them (Ortho White and Revita Derm) and came across a lot of complaints from people who'd paid for introductory offers and then either not been sent the goods, or sent a sample then charged for a full product. Out of interest, I clicked on one of the items and it transferred me to a very dodgy looking web page that was NOT QVC.

I have no idea whether the QVCUK site has been hacked, or if this is some kind of new 'service' from VC.

Today I clicked on a jewellery item, and up popped a survey page, with a voiceover in an American accent promising me a free gift if I answered four questions. I answered these rather pointless questions, and was shown a page offering me a selection of products that seemed a little strange. I checked out reviews for two of them (Ortho White and Revita Derm) and came across a lot of complaints from people who'd paid for introductory offers and then either not been sent the goods, or sent a sample then charged for a full product. Out of interest, I clicked on one of the items and it transferred me to a very dodgy looking web page that was NOT QVC.

I have no idea whether the QVCUK site has been hacked, or if this is some kind of new 'service' from VC.

It's more likely your pc than the website. Have you got anti-virus running? Also, turn your pop up blocker on and, most importantly, NEVER click on or download anything that looks odd!! In fact, don't click on anything that pops up on a website. Chances are it's an external advert. This is how people get viruses, hacked into etc...I know someone that used to click on everything and has been through so many pc's as a result of them being ruined!!

If it looks dodgy or too good to be true - IT IS!!!!

Sorry, lecture over! Just be careful :D

From mobile, please excuse any silly errors!! :)

I've got McAfee running, and this is the first dodgy page I've had on the current laptop (bought Feb this year). I don't think it's my hardware / software, although firewalls are not always perfect.

No they're not. Sorry to assume you had nothing, but I never get anything like that and am meticulous about anti-virus etc!

That does sound odd. I still can't see it being a QVC thing though.
Mind you, with their website being such a shambles at the moment you never know!!

From mobile, please excuse any silly errors!! :)

There is a long thread on the Moneysaving site about these companies. You will be charged non stop and sent full size products, the companies will take up to £200 at a time from you debit/credit card. People think they are getting samples to try and just paying for shipping. You see them down the side of Facebook etc. AVOID!

The reason I raised this is because the pages you get really DO look as if they're coming from QVC. It was one of those 'You have been selected' things.

I think we've all had the experience of clicking a link and thinking ooh-er, don't like that. This one was asking questions about your shopping with QVC, and then produced a 'choose a gift' page with p&p prices exactly like normal QVC. It didn't look quite like a QVCUK page, but it was familiar enough to be half-convincing. It was only when you clicked on 'Choose this gift' that you ended up on the funny page.

I don't sense this is something that got past McAfee, or I'd be getting these all the time on other sites. My gut feel is that this was something to do with the new site.

I just wanted to warn anyone else who might have this happen to them.

Maybe to be on the safe side you should ring customer services, and tell them and
query it with them They surely should know something about it. I"ve the old site
and it seem okay, but thanks for the warning :thinking:

It is almost certainly nothing to do with QVC in this case. I run the internet infrastructure for a large company and using our security devices we can intercept and read the requests that get sent in from our customers browsers. Often we see specific strings being sent telling us that the end users PC is infected with adware. The adware replaces parts of our webpage and makes it look like the ads are coming directly from us whereas in fact they are completely generated by the adware. We don't have ads on any of our pages and worse we have no visibility of how our own web pages are being modified as it happens entirely on the users PC. The adware can use cookies to track where you been and can often be quite specific in its product placement.

To the end user they are oblivious and will mostly think it is our problem.

We have looked at many options including redirecting users to a help page telling them their PC is infected up to and including blocking these users completely. The problem is that any attempt by a company to help may also look like a potential phishing exercise. We also cannot ask the customer to call us as our CS team is not a computer help desk.

Some of the ad-ware is really clever and can even disable your anti-virus software and bypass pop up blockers

There is nothing QVC can do about it so little point in calling their CS.

I would recommend downloading an alternative free antivirus software and scanning your PC with it. Sophos and other do free AV for PC I think. If not they definitely do a free trial. I'm not a PC user but I hear that the free Microsoft security software is pretty good these days

QVC have been popping up the occasional offer but this has been directly related to something they are trying to push on their website such as a OTO offer.

Stuart

Sounds like it may be something to do with your PC, it may be infected with a virus.... Couldn't replicate it here, I tried clicking on a few items on QVC (ended up buying some, so thanks lol) but never saw any pop up surveys. Hope you get it fixed and nothing serious has happened to your computer.

Rich

I can vouch for the free Microsoft Security, best I've ever used :D

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk 2

I should also add that I would expect QVC to have similar security devices to the company I work for and that QVC can probably see that this is happening to their customers.

QVC will have the same challenge in trying to find out who the customer is. Almost impossible until you log into the QVC site and to be honest most of the time you only need to do this when buying something.

Unlike the company I work for QVC do however have an opportunity to mention this easily to a lot of people on-air, perhaps during one of their technology hours

I am surprised that QVC have not used it as an opportunity to flog internet security software!

I should work in marketing not IT!

Stuart

I swear by Malware Bytes, I got a horrible pop up that would not go away, signed up with Mcafee from BT, useless for that kind of thing, went online in safe mode found a forum mention of Malware Bytes and I've never had a problem since. It took several attempts to clear my machine of the pop up. Now I simply don't get them!

Latest posts

Back