new gemstones ? eh ?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Brissles

Registered Shopper
QVC appear to be pre-occupied these days with foisting new "opaque gemstones" on to us. What with Mooooooookite of every shade, dyed quartz in every colour, and endless shows of opaque gems - in silver, in gold, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz !

NOW we have ruby wottsitite ! - oh c'mon, over a £100 for a necklace in this 'new' stone that only qvc have heard of. Yeah, like we are going to spend that sort of money, AND ADMIT IT TO OUR FRIENDS ?????? er I dont think so. If I have that sort of money to spend on jewellery, I want something a little more than beads !!!!!!

I think its such a boring TSV.I did actually buy a little pendant from this range around christmas time,from qvc,as I had a "do" to go to,and was wearing a green and purple top.

It was dreadful quality and very cheap.I sent it back and got a nice statement necklace from per una:flower:

I remember a time when all QVC were pushing,was the russian diopside - never heard the end of it - and the amount of shows were borsering on ridiculous.Then it was the blueberry?blackberry? stone,then it was mookite and I just feel in my waters,this could be the new thing to harp on about.

Stick 'ite' on any colour and it'll be the new gemstone you can be the proud owner of before any of your envious friends, family, teacher........

Then when it arrives, it could be any colour really due to it being from nature and that's part of the appeal!! Anyone see the bit where they were trying to match the earrings up and said the pairs must have got mixed up ???? (I was very sleepless in the middle of the night that's why I was watching - honest)

The jewellery on QVC is generally pretty crap these days. Nowhere as good as it used to be. Don't like all these opaque gemstones. Quite like the Veronese stuff. they seem to concentrate mostly on diamoneeeeek these days in its various shapes/colours etc. Shows called shapes of eek, colours of eek and the one the other day love diamoneeeeek!

So true - my OH keeps 'inventing' new QVC gemstones, bogulite and cr*pulite being the most recent additions...:giggle:

He ! he ! he ! I LOVE it Artdeco !! A new game has been born - invent a new stone ending in "ite" and "eeeeek" , and THEN send it off to the qvc buyers, just to show them how ridiculous their gem shows are becoming.

OH was just coming up with comic names you understand, not actually suggesting gemstones should be made of bogs and...erm...well you get the idea...:giggle:

It is interesting how QVC gemstones go in phases, one presumes as they have bought a job lot of stones. I too remember when every third hour seemed to be Russian Plopside (another of OH's renamings.) Then it was all Blueberry Quartz and now indeed Mookite and Jasper of various incarnations. I remember them having a show of Kyanite a few years ago, and hyping it up unbelievably, saying it was going to be *the* gemstone everyone would buy, the next Russian Diopside, we were going to see it so regularly on QVC, and it never really materialised in any great quantity!

On a serious note, I love some of the opaque gemstones and think QVC do some excellent prices, but the styles can be pretty poor. Much of the time you're talking about a number of tumbled beads strung together. I bought this one a while back and it's more the kind of thing I like, has far more design to it:

http://www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.item.695495.cm_scid.BazaarVoice

More of this please QVC if you're reading (and we know you are... :nod:)

Would these be classed as "man-made" or "naturally created":

Gall stones and Kidney stones :tongue:

Jude xx

I was snowed in one time at home and switched on a whole hour on earthstones. There was some weird guy droning on about their beauty but to me, they all looked like kitchen worktops.

The ruby zoisite (whatever) from yesterday was not even attractive. Just looked strange.
Russian diopside looks synthetic it is so bright. The quartzes are OK but if you put them in certain angles, the colour is almost clear. I hate that.

The stone I like best is tanzanian ruby. I notice there has been none of it around recently.

In all fairness I have to point out that Ruby Zoisite has been available to buy as a gem stone for years. Never liked it mysself, so was not interested in the TSV
I love natural stones, when they are set in unusual designes

I can't think what it was now, but they recently had a necklace on that cost almost £200 and looked like a row of mint imperials stung together! A couple of quid in Asda for a bag of mints and some string and save yourself a fortune. And you get something to chew on when you feel peckish. Show it off to your friends, your necklace made of genuine mintite.

I also bugs me when they sell this stuff as sterling silver. I bought a necklace for my sister last year and she actually asked where the silver was, which was somewhat embarrassing. It arrived in a huge box with "SILVER" embossed into the lid. I explained that it was just the clip as she thought something was missing.

They only sell cheap rubbish now. I have bracelets from Lavaggi (remember him?) and similar that have lasted for years and are heavy, good quality.

Latest posts

Back