Nail Treatments

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Have to agree, crystal nail files are great. Checked my Qtica products (HandLotion,CuticleOil,CuticleBalm) and the first ingredient in all 3 is RiceBranOil. I have that oil in my stash (from Akamuti) so when these 3 are finished, I'll try just the oil. x £€SavingSnarly

I must be the only person who doesn't rate crystal nail files. I am devilled if I can get perfectly filed talons with one. They don't give a good shape and despite LDs claim they turn the nail to dust I still get bits left on the edge of my nail. And I don't think they've made a jot of difference to my nails other than buggered up the shape.

I must be the only person who doesn't rate crystal nail files. I am devilled if I can get perfectly filed talons with one. They don't give a good shape and despite LDs claim they turn the nail to dust I still get bits left on the edge of my nail. And I don't think they've made a jot of difference to my nails other than buggered up the shape.

Me too T, they split my nails but Mum loved them.

I've never had nice nails in my life - and I have a vertical split in one thumb-nail, the result I think of bashing it into a handrail without an end-cap in House of Fraser, talking to my DD instead of looking what I was doing! I've tried everything and they will get just over the end of my finger (or thumb) then they'll snap, or I'll get a split way down at one side, or something. I use a Leighton Denny crystal file, and have tried every treatment under the sun - at the mo it's Jessica oil and Nail Drink and hand cream several times a day, intensive sort at bedtime and cotton gloves - but I have never, and no doubt WILL never, have a set of nails that I can feel proud of! :sad:
I never had good nails until I started using Redcarpetmanicure. I actually have to file my nails down when I take it off to change it. My dominant hand still has 3 shorter nails as I use the nails as tools - haven't quite yet managed to stop this habit.

the crystal files I think are better than the old emery boards, but I haven't noticed any improvement in my nails and I'm sure I heard AY once say that using one would improve your nails generally and help those splits down the side. Nope! I too still get bits that catch, don't always get a smooth finish with them. I never put polish on, can't be bothered, I haven't got nice hands so I don't like drawing attention to them but if anyone up there is listening I WOULD JUST LIKE NICE NAILS !!!

If the crystal files aren't helping with splitting try using them tipped at an angle not perpendicular to the nail. It's even gentler that way and wonky nails need a gentle touch.

Not just you tinks, i don't rate it either. I couldn't get a decent shape with them and i tried several times, i assumed it was me being cachanded.
I gave it to mum who absolutely loves it. I didn't buy it from Q otherwise it would have gone back.

as well as bits that catch, if I just catch a nail the "wrong way" it really "radges" me...I still tend to do sides to middle for that reason...perhaps it's me...:wonder:

Filing at an angle usually helps, it's the other way that can do damage and no matter what LD says for a variety of reasons it is better to file from side to centre. The easiest and as it happens the strongest shape is the squoval but at the moment it's not in fashion. However that's what works for me and that's what I will be still wearing.

If I don't file it quite right the way it bounces along the nail sets my ****** teeth on edge!

I find it difficult to get that squared off oval shape with the LD file. Straight across is easy and oval isn't too bad but anything else is nigh on impossible. I do use it to take the length of the nail down but still struggle with shaping.

Mind you my nails are going through a bad patch again. I ran out of vitamin pills and I'm paying the price now.

Filing at an angle usually helps, it's the other way that can do damage and no matter what LD says for a variety of reasons it is better to file from side to centre. The easiest and as it happens the strongest shape is the squoval but at the moment it's not in fashion. However that's what works for me and that's what I will be still wearing.

squoval for me too.imo its the most flattering and practical shape.
These new pointy nails are just eugh to look at and how do you pick anything up?

I am just about ready to give up with my nails. They used to be fabulous, they were thin but strong and long. they only thing I had to watch was not letting too much Loccitaine Shea butter handcream on my nails as it seemed to make them softer.
I have never had any type of false nail or gel stuff but I went to over to the dark side and bought the Red Carpet Manicure set( the first one). My nails are now wreaked. It must be 3 months since I last used it and my nails are so soft and weak.
I have been using all kinds of nail treatments, OPI, Champnies,Sally Hanson, all to no avail.
ow I am wondering if I should do another RCM to see if it gives the nails chance to grow without breaking. I don't really want to, my nails grow quick so I only got about 10 days out of RCMP anyway due to growth.
Do you think I should risk it or carry on as I am?

Sharon have you tried Perfect Formula Pink Gel Coat? (I think that's what it's called or similar)? Don't buy the single option from Q as they do a duo for a couple of quid more only plus you save on the p&p. You may find it cheaper on Ebay too.

It's clear with a slight pink tint to make the natural nail look brighter. It's a hardening acrylic coat, applied & removed in exactly the same way as standard polish.

I'd be concerned about using RCM again if you're one of the people who'se nails it affects that badly hun. Pink Gel Coat is good, saved my nails from breaking many a time. I've used RCM 3 times now since getting it a few weeks ago. Thankfully it hasn't really affected the strength of my nails but some people can't use it due to the damage it causes. I do find that the aetone removal of RCM can leave them a bit softer but as soon as they're moisturised they're back to normal.

I'd agree Nikki about using Perfect Formula. I started using this when the normal Nail Envy started disagreeing with my nails and they were constantly splitting and breaking. It's great for giving them instant strength. Id also use Avoplex on the cuticles to support the new nail growth.

Thanks for your advice ladies, I did look at this a few weeks ago but was put off by the reviews.
Your comments about using RCM have just backed up my thoughts but nearly every review of the damn kit is about how it has allowed people to grow their nails and it is so frustrating when something gets such good reviews but doesn't do it for you. I'm not bitter...honest:mysmilie_520:

I've just started using flexitol cuticle & nail cream and so far so good. My hands and cuticles are ridiculously dry despite hand cream a million times a day & slick tips every night. I saw the difference in my cuticles straight away. I can't recommend it highly enough. It was about a fiver from Boots.

If I don't file it quite right the way it bounces along the nail sets my ****** teeth on edge!

I find it difficult to get that squared off oval shape with the LD file. Straight across is easy and oval isn't too bad but anything else is nigh on impossible. I do use it to take the length of the nail down but still struggle with shaping.

Mind you my nails are going through a bad patch again. I ran out of vitamin pills and I'm paying the price now.

Tinkerbelle I cannot get on with crystal files either and mainly for the reason you have stated above, besides never getting the right shape, if I file the wrong way it gives me the creeps lol! My nails are doing great at the minute, combination of being off work, taking perfectil vitamin supplement and having a bit of time to care for them I suppose. Not for much longer as Im back to work soon,, so it'll be shorties for me again soon as my nails just break at work.
Reminiscing after reading a post further up, Nail Eat and Nail Drink, also Nail Envy, used to be never off Q.

I read on a NailSite, PolishedPerfectionist, I think, that she uses a CrystalFile on polished nails. That she finds it easier to see the nail shape and maintain it, rather than with bare nails. I've copied that, but am guilty of see-sawing back and forth 'cause that's how LD demo'd it and I thought it wasn't harsh. But I shall try Vampyre's way and be more gentle. Tell me something's good for my health, and my response is "Meh!" Tell me it'll make my hair stronger/thicker or my nails better, and I'm reaching for the Pen&Paper to jot down the details. x ShallowSnarly

I read on a NailSite, PolishedPerfectionist, I think, that she uses a CrystalFile on polished nails. That she finds it easier to see the nail shape and maintain it, rather than with bare nails. I've copied that, but am guilty of see-sawing back and forth 'cause that's how LD demo'd it and I thought it wasn't harsh. But I shall try Vampyre's way and be more gentle. Tell me something's good for my health, and my response is "Meh!" Tell me it'll make my hair stronger/thicker or my nails better, and I'm reaching for the Pen&Paper to jot down the details. x ShallowSnarly

I file with polish on too! I used to be a biter and my nail line is very distorted so if I followed them my paws would look even worse.
One of the main reasons for filing to the centre even with a crystal file is it reduces if not avoids getting nail dust trapped under the corners which can make a mess out of your polish or treatment and in theory could make the area vulnerable to infection.

Latest posts

Back