My name’s Alan and I’m a recovering QVC-holic

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I remember the floor duster. It had a disc of paper that was supposed to be electrostatically charged to pick up the dust as the ball moved it round. You could tell it was chronic just from the demo. I have hard floors and would love a Roomba iRobot but can't justify the price, I'm just being a lazy sod.

Probably the most useless thing I've ever bought (and that's saying something) was a battery operated ice cream maker.

You mixed the ice cream recipe, put it into the tub of this gadget, switched it on, and a paddle went around to keep it mixed up, then put it into the freezer.

The trouble is, BATTERIES DO NOT WORK at -18 degrees celcius, so it only kept working for a few minutes.

That reminds me, I've got an ice cream maker in a cupboard somewhere that I bought from Aldi a couple of years ago & have never used.
Two weeks after I bought it my chest freezer packed up &, by the time I bought a smaller one, the ice cream maker had disappeared into the depths, never since to see the light of day.

I'm with Flamenco, trying to curb it as a New Year's resolution. Only fallen off the wagon once since early December with the LD TSV. At least being a man you're immune from most of the beauty & jewellery which have been my worst sins.

I am gradually "getting better".

My last purchase was the Clickfree last October, but this was the model that wouldn't work for most people and had terrible reviews, so I had a full refund.

Before that it was August, the TSV Prepology 10 piece microban storage set (Lock'n'lock type) that was good quality and value, except for the £5-45 P&P.

Before that it was the previous model of useless Clickfree, also returned, will I ever learn?

Before that, I only had 4 other purchases in 2011, so a total of only 5 items I kept, although I probably saw some other items demontrated by Q but I bought them cheaper elsewhere.

So I am defintely improving.

Last edited:
Probably the most useless thing I've ever bought (and that's saying something) was a battery operated ice cream maker.

You mixed the ice cream recipe, put it into the tub of this gadget, switched it on, and a paddle went around to keep it mixed up, then put it into the freezer.

The trouble is, BATTERIES DO NOT WORK at -18 degrees celcius, so it only kept working for a few minutes.

Wow, yes! I had one of those! It was so flimsy that as soon as the liquid started to firm up it broke the little plastic paddles.

My biggie over the years has been diamonique, but I've been cured of my addiction - I only bought one, yes ONE!, pair of earrings all of last year. :up:

you sound like a serious case strato :tongue:

i suppose everyone goes a bit mad when they first discover qvc? the same with ebay. then the novelty wears off.

i don't remember my first purchase but the only thing i bought loads of was kirks folly - stop laughing at the back!! :hi:

i also used to but quite a bit of clothing (it was normal then) and skin care and cosmetics. i'm going back 10-15 years. these days i hardly buy anything - maybe 1 or things a year cos i simply don't like anything! on the odd occasion there is something i like, it's so overpriced, that that and the p&p invariably stops me buying.

Despite my good intentions, I succumbed to buying the Gtech TSV as I do need something like that.

Some years ago I bought a Black and Decker 3-way rechargeable vac from QVC as an OTO and it was excellent.

Basically it was a kitchen-wall type rechargeable hand vac that could also be fitted to a long handle to become a proper vac, and even had rotating brushes. The brush head could also be used with a short handle for the stairs.

Unfortunately, the charger stopped working. I rigged up another one, which worked for a few days, but must have overcharged the battery and killed it (it's not replaceable).

So the Gteech is a replacement for this, alfhough I don't expect it to be as good as it doesn't actually vacuum, just brushes.

Did anyone else get the B&D one, or remember it?

Not as big as it sounds, which is why it is difficult to find anything.

Now, if only I had a big house, I could have separate rooms devoted to storing QVC, IW, Amazon, Ebay and Lidl stuff so I could find it when needed.

No you wouldn't ... stuffs/junk/tat only expands to fill the space available ... at first there'd be only one dedicated room for storage then it would grow and require a second one and so on and so on ...:happy::doh::nod:

Loft is full ... box room is full ... must clean out ... must add no more!

Better specs for Bose/stereos and cameras, we may not have the hearing or eyesight to benefit from the very high tech so save your money.

GTechs are good, I'm on my second. Great for picking up house bunny spreaded hay and sawdust.

This thread is cathartic for you strato, I sense a dawning of a new era for you. But, please, do not move house!

Better specs for Bose/stereos and cameras, we may not have the hearing or eyesight to benefit from the very high tech so save your money.

GTechs are good, I'm on my second. Great for picking up house bunny spreaded hay and sawdust.

This thread is cathartic for you strato, I sense a dawning of a new era for you. But, please, do not move house!

isnt that a contradiction?

wow that's a grand old age for a bunny, our house-bunny is a baby by comparison. Our bunny has a Gtech (duck egg blue with headlight) but he's resisting training to clean up after he flicks sawdust and hay all over!

Jude xx

I've always been known as a "tight wad" by my family (probably how I'm the only one to have paid off my mortgage !), so I'm extremely disciplined with my QVC shopping.

In recent months I've not been tempted by anything and this is due to the current sales patter - it really puts me off stuff. Anyway there's not much I need now, but I tend to look on Amazon first unless I need the MBG safety net.

Linda xx

Loving this thread :).. i have watched QVC on and off over the years..but never bought anything...until now... in the last few weeks i have bought 4 items, one was an xmas pressie, another was yankee candles on auto delivery (opps) lol BUT they are cheaper than what i can get them for in my local store.. and another two items on their way...i cant watch this week as the BF is at home on holiday...lmao...but still itching to order some laura geller products, i dont think i can wait until the 29th feb TSV.... i hope i like all the products i buy..is it free to return stuff to them or do i get the postage back? that would definately curb my temptation....

No free returns. You can claim original p&p if you cancel your order under the Distance Selling Regulations and notify QVC in writing within 7 days of receiving the item. It has to be returned in resale able condition so no tags removed and cosmetics unused. Otherwise you can use the 30 day MBG but you won't get original p&p refunded. So if you use the product and don't like it you lose 2 sets of postage. QVC must now be one of the few companies left that don't do free returns and is a popular complaint on this forum. QVC aren't the cheapest either. You will often find the same thing somewhere else cheaper but of course you won't find easy pay anywhere else which is how QVC probably manage to keep a reasonable customer base these days. If you don't want easy pays, chances are you'll find what you want elsewhere online a lot cheaper.

I have one of those robo-ball dusters, though it didn't come from QVC. I have used it for 6 years and I love it! Living here, all our floors are marble and rug and carpet free and a lot of sand blows in on the wind, so it is ideal. The paper collars are really cheap to buy and I wouldn't be without it. I don't know if it is the QVC model though the box it came in says "seen on TV". Anyway, just thought I'd drop in a word of praise for them - it gets up the cat hairs a treat too.:up::mysmilie_515:

Because I didn't start keeping a note of all my purchases straight away, and the order history on QVC only goes back a year, they are going to send me a list of ALL my purchases.

Looking at this should help my therapy, expecially if I dare to add up the costs!

Because I didn't start keeping a note of all my purchases straight away, and the order history on QVC only goes back a year, they are going to send me a list of ALL my purchases.

Looking at this should help my therapy, expecially if I dare to add up the costs!

I wouldn't dare!!:sweat::mysmilie_466:

Latest posts

Back