My make up stockpile

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I don't have *tons* of make-up but I do have more than I could wear. Thank God for daughters eh? Mine regularly goes through my make-up drawer and pinches things she likes. She says it's like going shopping :cheeky:

Thank you very much for your guidance RedT I shall try to implement your sound advice when I next feel the urge to spend recklessly :LOL:

HAHA! And next time I'm on here wanting to splurge you can quote it right back to me :tongue2::hi: It'll be Sept 19th when the Smashbox TSV is on!!!

Tx

I had a clearout too, bin for the ancient stuff. The Drop for some of the new and unsued stuff.
Why do I do it? It's not just QVC, I too just had to have the Ultimate Palette from Smashbox. Endless eyeshadows and stuff that I will never use, but it looks nice after I dust it! :giggle: Oh, I might as well try that in the Drop as well!

Us and our stashes eh? :eek:

I've sorted out the skincare / bath and body stash and that is pretty manageable now. (i.e. I can see that I will run out of cleanser - for example - in the forseeable future and need to purchase a replacement.)

I've been putting off doing my make up stash though. Some of it is old, (probably so old it's chuckable, and some it's tatty or the compact is broken etc, and some of it just isn't me.

I've also got loads of Pout who went out of business about 3? 4? 5? years ago - so that's all probably a bit old to use now!

I know I have loads of lippies and a plethora of palettes so I think this may have to be my sorting out job for today!

I don't think I have anything new and unused in make up but if I do I'll stick it in The Drop or put it in my profile so everybody can see it.

My make up fills a cutlery tray (!) That's my "use 'em every day" make up.

It also fills a "hang on the back of the bathroom door with clear sections" make up roll from Models Prefer. That's "might need it on any given day" make up.

AND

A huge 18 inch high Thomas Bacconi (?) jewellery box with 8 drawers for the stuff I use less often. :eek:

Right time to make a cuppa and get to it. Thanks for the inspiration Loveheart! :flower:

i have a professional beauty trolley full of makeup. most of it i do not use and the problem is that i cannot even give it away to friends and relatives as almost everything is tested. :sad:

Us and our stashes eh? :eek:

I've sorted out the skincare / bath and body stash and that is pretty manageable now. (i.e. I can see that I will run out of cleanser - for example - in the forseeable future and need to purchase a replacement.)

I've been putting off doing my make up stash though. Some of it is old, (probably so old it's chuckable, and some it's tatty or the compact is broken etc, and some of it just isn't me.

I've also got loads of Pout who went out of business about 3? 4? 5? years ago - so that's all probably a bit old to use now!

I know I have loads of lippies and a plethora of palettes so I think this may have to be my sorting out job for today!

I don't think I have anything new and unused in make up but if I do I'll stick it in The Drop or put it in my profile so everybody can see it.

My make up fills a cutlery tray (!) That's my "use 'em every day" make up.

It also fills a "hang on the back of the bathroom door with clear sections" make up roll from Models Prefer. That's "might need it on any given day" make up.

AND

A huge 18 inch high Thomas Bacconi (?) jewellery box with 8 drawers for the stuff I use less often. :eek:

Right time to make a cuppa and get to it. Thanks for the inspiration Loveheart! :flower:

OMG :eek:

we should have a "beauty junkie" section in the forum!!!

Oh my gosh yes! Some of us are in serious need! :eek:

Hmmm. Just realised I'm still here.

Getting up off bottom now...
.!

This place is lethal, I pop in 'just for a sec' and find I am still here 2 hours later. Considering the average visit is 11. 18 minutes, this must mean I have developed a serious addition to ST.com as well. :confused2:

i have 2 small boxes a make up bag full and little part of my dressing table full to bursting of the stuff :blush: darent tell the hubby how much it cost , i even sad as it is want to keep some of the pretty boxes make up comes in :blush: i do force myself to chuck them out though :thinking2:

The problem with having a clearout and putting stuff in the Drop is that we are trying to flog it to those who are also trying to flog their stockpiles. Maybe we should start an "I'm looking for..." thread and then we all look through our stashes to see if we have it? :thinking2:

I did have absolutely tons of make up, but I was ruthless a few months back and chucked away umpteen bits and bobs, mainly multi purpose sets which contained one, maybe two items that I ever use, now I've got it sussed. For general colour cosmetics I use Victoria Jackson, trouble is my collection of her stuff is building at a rate of knots....but it all does get used, so that's okay isn't it? Pur minerals face powder, mascara and eyeliner...the best ever. Trouble I've found with Pur minerals you have to buy a whole sodding set just to get the items you want.. eg,I don't like their blushers, brushes, eye shadow, or lip glosses, but their mascaras and eye liners are the best I've ever used by a country mile!

Last edited:
The problem with having a clearout and putting stuff in the Drop is that we are trying to flog it to those who are also trying to flog their stockpiles. Maybe we should start an "I'm looking for..." thread and then we all look through our stashes to see if we have it? :thinking2:

Excellent brainwave my lovely! :up2:

I have discovered that Pout went out of business in the Uk in late 2007 early 2008 so my Pout haul has had a reprieve - for a little while at least.

Although opinions vary - the longest most people seem to agree that make up can be kept for up to is 4 years, so I think I'll ditch the creamy products older than this but keep things like Laura Geller's blushers.

http://beauty.about.com/od/makeuptrickstips/a/shelflife.htm

I have to stop thinking of make up like a collection and start thinking of it as a disposable resource that you use up or chuck out if it gets too old and might have gone off. Like food.

Do you know what? I've just agonised last night about wasting food when the last bit of lettuce went mushy but that lettuce cost a heck of a lot less money and got more useage than the dozen Smashbox Lipsticks I've just binned. (I went through my Smashbox Lipstick phase in my last but one job and that means they are at least 6 years old!)

I reckon the 80/20 rule probably applies just as much to make up as it does to wardrobes so I was thinking that I would see what I'm really using day to day and just keep that stuff.

But then I thought..

Just as in my wardrobe I have evening dresses and big woolly jumpers that I'm not using right now I still need to keep them for when I do need them - so I'd end up getting rid of nothing I expect!

So I'm not much further forward really. :eek:

I have thrown out the really old and the broken, and made up a little boxful of tried once and didn't like it but it was part of a set so I couldn't send it back stuff for my daughter and son's girlfriend to fight over! :D

But I've still got my make up in three separate locations - they're just slightly less crowded now! :giggle::giggle::giggle:

lol LA'k :giggle: re lettuce...same here and with food in general.

the waste with clothes & shoes is kind of ok, because i like giving to charity shops bn shoes in boxes, freshly washed and ironed clothes.

but with cosmetics??? a consolation is that i do not drink or smoke but, then again, i could buy a house instead. :confused2:

powder makeup stuff keeps forever. Its the liquid and lipsticks which will turn. I have some Pout eyeshadow in a tube which seperated. Certain brands seem to keep longer than others. MAC lippies last forever well a good few years. If anything smells like wax candles then it is of so throw it out.

lol LA'k :giggle: re lettuce...same here and with food in general.

the waste with clothes & shoes is kind of ok, because i like giving to charity shops bn shoes in boxes, freshly washed and ironed clothes.

but with cosmetics??? a consolation is that i do not drink or smoke but, then again, i could buy a house instead. :confused2:

Well I know a girl's gotta have some vices or we'd all be very dull indeed, but when you think what you might have bought instead sometimes it's a bit scary huh? :eek:

In true make up addict style all this has taught me I need to buy some make up! My mascara is a whole year old now so I'd better buy another! ;)

powder makeup stuff keeps forever. Its the liquid and lipsticks which will turn. I have some Pout eyeshadow in a tube which seperated. Certain brands seem to keep longer than others. MAC lippies last forever well a good few years. If anything smells like wax candles then it is of so throw it out.

Yeah that's what I thought honey. I'm hard on lippies too I reapply a lot and wear them down flat! And even having got rid of all of those I'm not exactly deprived on the lip colour front! :D

I moved house last year and discovered just how completely out of hand my beauty buying is/was.

I started off keeping my *non-daily use make-up* in toiletry bags in two baskets, perfume in another, nail stuff in another. These took the top shelf of my double wardrobe. A lot of things had been with me since my teens and had survived a good sort out 10 years ago when I passed two carrier bagfuls to my niece and sister (most was later gratefully received and used by the local Am-Dram club they belong to).

In the nine years I've lived in my old house, I discovered *stuff* that had been crammed into those freebie shopping/gym bags that are given away with magazines (another really bad habit that I'm only just getting under control).

When we moved, I had to cart the original baskets, at least ten of those humungous shoppers and various boxes to the new house. I'd previously stashed it in drawers under the two spare beds, in wardrobes in spare rooms and in random drawers all over the house. DH never went in the spare rooms so it was ideal.

It's clear to me now that being a beauty junkie is no laughing matter and should be officially recognised as an illness. I stuffed everything back into the wardrobes etc. when we moved, but last month had to find somewhere for visitors to put their clothes whilst staying with us. Digging it all out again was so embarrassing as DH discovered my stash when I put it all on a kingsize bed and along both sides (it wouldn't all fit on it). I've sorted a lot out and thrown some really good stuff (which killed me - I didn't have time to put it up on eBay). My niece has once again benefited and is the envy of friends as her m/u bag now sports high-end stuff that none of them could really afford.

Foundation has always been my addiction, due to rosacea and the desire to cover the redness/veins in my cheeks. I have an overnight bag full that I didn't even mention earlier. Laser treatment has helped slow the burn to buy, but some redness is coming back again so I either bite the bullet and laser again or I accept the fact that there is no such thing as a *perfect* foundation for me. It's sad really because apart from the ruddiness in my cheeks, my skin is perfect - clear and unlined - though I am happier now using my new HG, Avon Magix primer/tinted primer (better than Benefit Gorgeous, though not as flawless coverage as Max Factor's Miracle or MAC's Studio Tech). These have replaced my beloved Smashbox tinted primers.

I'm in the process of sorting the rest of my stuff and pruning it back to manageable levels again. I just hope that I never go looking for something that I've gotten rid of like I did in after the first cull - I'm still traumatised by that experience and I'm sure that's what started the rabid collecting problem I have!

Sorry 'bout the long post. I just hope that it serves as a warning at how bad beauty addiction can be (for your wallet and your mental health - I'm certainly not a happy bunny surveying the proof of it!).

And after all that, I'm still lemming the new S'box Halo shadows :-(, Apart from them, please welcome the newest member of the FART club!

Welcome to the F.A.R.T.S. hon. :wave2: :hi: :grin::talking::coffee::flower: :handshake: :flower::coffee::talking::grin::hi: :wave2:

It sounds like you and I have a LOT in common! :fart2:

F.A.R.Ting has been the making of me so I hope it works for you too.

But don't you think though the problem is with the system in ths country verus say the USA?

Over there if you buy a foundation, try it out at home, and it doesn't do all the wonderful things the ads, commercials, and sale assistants said it would do you can just take it back. Over here we shove it to the back of a drawer and go and buy another one! :eek:

Latest posts

Back