Mascaras

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Moth

Registered Shopper
[mum writes]

Does anyone else find that mascaras are completely dried out when you receive them and they don't do what is claimed? This happens with all of the brands, but most recently with Mally and Tarte. As well as the hassle of having to send the back, I'm expecting a letter or call about returns even though it's not my fault, but I'm not going to keep and pay for something which is not what is promised on air and doesn't work. The models are always made up when they come on air and it's hard to tell. I'm at my wits end as they all seem to be a load of rubbish, not just QVC's offerings. Can anyone recommend anything different? I like staying power, good colour and lash definition but not too big a brush :)

I was but this very morning hunting for a mascara that does not dry out. My Maybelline, an old favourite, seems to be drying out and I only used it a few times. Then it glooped all around my eyelid, so I may have been wrong. In the search for a different mascara a few months ago I came across Jordana on Amazon. It had rave reviews. I wouldn't rave about it but it was as good as any I have had, and only £3.59 if you buy £10 worth of stuff in one order from Amazon.

I have certain brands which seem to dry out in the blink of an eye, very quickly. I actually think its the formula causing the problem. Chanel and YSL dry out very quickly. By Terry, I have one for a long time( I keep them until they are used up, no way am I throwing one out because it happens to be a few months old!), and its still as wet as the day it was bought.

I once read if you put it in the microwave for about 20 seconds it makes it more liquid. Not sure but I think you need to put in a small amount of water as well.

I run mine under the hot water tap. It's like new! I use them until their death too. The 3 month thing is just marketing. I am currently loving the No.7 sensitive mascara after someone on here recommended it. I used to feel small bits (maybe fibres) in my eyes all the time but not with this. This does dry up but I've just thrown my first one away, 5 months in! Before this I loved the Make Up Academy (MUA) for Superdrug big volume mascara. I think it is £3. Small plastic brush. They all essentially do the same thing I think, it's the brushes that differ. And whether they contain fibres or not. I would like to find an alternative as I hate using Boots due to them still testing on animals.

[mum writes]

Does anyone else find that mascaras are completely dried out when you receive them and they don't do what is claimed? This happens with all of the brands, but most recently with Mally and Tarte. As well as the hassle of having to send the back, I'm expecting a letter or call about returns even though it's not my fault, but I'm not going to keep and pay for something which is not what is promised on air and doesn't work. The models are always made up when they come on air and it's hard to tell. I'm at my wits end as they all seem to be a load of rubbish, not just QVC's offerings. Can anyone recommend anything different? I like staying power, good colour and lash definition but not too big a brush :)
Revitalash is very good.

I run mine under the hot water tap. It's like new! I use them until their death too. The 3 month thing is just marketing. I am currently loving the No.7 sensitive mascara after someone on here recommended it. I used to feel small bits (maybe fibres) in my eyes all the time but not with this. This does dry up but I've just thrown my first one away, 5 months in! Before this I loved the Make Up Academy (MUA) for Superdrug big volume mascara. I think it is £3. Small plastic brush. They all essentially do the same thing I think, it's the brushes that differ. And whether they contain fibres or not. I would like to find an alternative as I hate using Boots due to them still testing on animals.

For certified cruelty free mascaras you could try M&S, BM Beauty, Lilylolo, Beauty without cruelty

When my mascara dries I put 2-3 drops of distilled or cooled boiled water on the brush and then put the brush back in the tube until the next day. It softens and I use it again and again. My Revitalash lasted me I think two years or longer, it was the set in a grey mesh bag with the Revitalash serum, the blue primer and the mascara. I have now moved on to LG's mascara from the last TSV and the one before this one, but Revitalash is still going strong and I keep it if I want to use it later at some point.

If mine do dry up I stand them in a cup of very hot water from the kettle for half an hour or so, seems to revive them.
I try different ones, from Q in TSVs mostly, or the high street but my default one that I return to again & again is Max Factor 2000 Calorie.

So refreshing to read this thread. I have never believed the hype about discarding after 3 months. I have been using a Mally one and an LG waterproof one for ages. They are as good as new.

Maybe if I've had an eye infection (very rare) I'd chuck out a mascara but otherwise if they're still fluid enough and don't smell "off" they're fine by me too.

A have a mally one that is too wet to use. I have recently discovered the joys if the tubing mascaras however and will probably stick to them. I really like the DHC one as the brush suits me too. I do like the magic mascara by ultraglow but it gets harder and harder to source.

Just read recently that you can add a small spot of eye drops to a dried out mascara and that should renew it.

I use Lancone Drama mascara (larger twisted brush) when a want fuller lashes for a night out or Estee Lauder Double wear volume and lift for daytime (really nice size brush)

Latest posts

Back