Lulu Guiness TSV!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Rich, poor or inbetween, making the effort at gaining qualifications & showing what you can do is what it's about, not having it handed to you on a plate?

Exactly! Having married into money (if indeed that was the case), Lulu Guiness could have been content with hooking a husband, raising a family, lunching out with friends, sitting on charitable committees etc etc (and again, there's nothing wrong with that). However, she decided to pursue a career, and as a career woman myself, I commend her for that. I doubt very much that her success has been handed to her on a plate. She's probably worked very very hard to succeed. OK, she probably had/has help, nannies, etc but they have to paid for, in the way that I paid for help when my children were younger, and as many thousands of working women still do.

I have nothing whatsoever against 'posh' people (whatever that is really!), my own DD was privately educated, speaks with a cut glass accent, had all the ponies, skiing holidays, evening dress birthday parties, blah blah blah that 'posh' people do, so.....?
Anyway, whatever, sorry if I have put anyone's nose out of joint but please don't label me with an opinion I don't actually have though! :)
God, I hope not! DD gained 11 GCSE's through sheer hard slog (missing out on many trips & parties to study!), is currently halfway through her 'A' levels, is a top student & is expected to gain a place at the university of her choice & eventually after many years of training & sheer hard work, hopes to bag herself a decent job at the end of it!
Rich, poor or inbetween, making the effort at gaining qualifications & showing what you can do is what it's about, not having it handed to you on a plate?
Yes, all right we get the message.

Thank you, miss molly, this looks like a nice item for an LG fan.

And I commend you for not joining in what is becoming quite a contentious thread. I wasn't going to join in with this "discussion" but I think some people have been tapping away on their keyboards very quickly on the spur of the moment and not considering the impact their opinions will have on others.

If you have the cash, spend it however you like as long as you're not exploiting others in the process. I don't have that kind of money to splash about but I would if I could :53: Ok some people may have more money than sense and money doesn't buy good taste (I can think of a few overpaid sportspeople who "waste" their money on stupid cars in my opinion). But the individual has the choice. It's fun to mock, I love the fun and the sarcasm and I'm not above taking the p*ss but it shouldn't have to get nasty. :57:

I admire and respect anyone rich or poor, who have managed to become successful whilst dealing with a mental illness.:40:

Me too. Many famous people have become successful whilst suffering with BP - Stephen Fry, Dido to name just a few. But for each successful person there are hundreds of people that are unable to put their lives together further than basic survival.

I truly resent the comments that some people have made saying that she could have sat at home all day, living off Benefits like loads of others. Again, for each person claiming and sitting at home all day, "living the good life" on Benefits, there are again many genuinely ill people that have tried to claim but have been refused (primarily because they don't "know" the system - nothing to do with their illness), and even more that haven't even tried claiming, but instead rely on family to help them through.

Until anyone has experience of mental illness, they should just keep opinions like this to themselves. Maybe a volunteer day spent at a local MIND drop-in centre or similar (there are a LOT of organisations out there that offer help to people suffering mental illness and they still don't cover a huge percentage of them) would help them distinguish between sitting at home sponging and sitting at home desperately ill.

alter ego,
I made the comment about staying at home on benefits, because I have seen so many people do that. If the illness is genuine, then that's what the benefits are for, thank goodness. I made the comment to illustrate that what LG has done is particularly commendable because she has to live with a terrible disorder, even though other posts find her nauseating for some strange reason!

I suffered a period of mild depression myself after having 3 children in 3 years and continuing to work full time, so I do know what it's like. My doctor advised me to take at least 3 months off work, but that frightened the hell out of me because I craved company more than anything, after managing to drag myself out of bed. I took 2 weeks off and then returned to work, where I had great support from friends and co-workers. Luckily, that was many many years ago, and the malady has never returned.

I'm not going to comment again on this thread. It saddens me that feelings bordering on hatred have been revealed by some members. I hope that they feel better after venting such bitterness and railing against what they see as a class divide. Good luck to LG and ANYBODY who has the drive to set up their own business and succeed.

Then again, she could just claim invalidity benefit due to her bipolar disorder, watch tv all day and live off the country. As far as I can make out, she's worked jolly hard to make her company a success even if she had a leg up to begin with. She also employs around 28 people in her design studio. I don't find her case nauseating, just inspiring. Why can't people just celebrate success in this country??
This thread really has taken on a life of its own. I wouldn’t normally comment any further, but feel practically obligated to address the mental illness issue, because of the misrepresentation.

There are a lot of scumbags out there who think feigning mental illness is an easy meal ticket. But the benefit agency is clamping down on those types of applicants as their doctors therapists etc have to support their claim.

But forget about those swindlers, people with genuine mental illnesses are not living the life of Reilly on benefits, putting their feet up and watching The Jeremy Kyle Show. No they’re probably trying to scrap together some semblance of a life, hoping and praying they can make it through the day, trying not to break down, trying not to self-harm, wondering where it all went wrong, wondering why they just can’t pull themselves together, or simply looking out of their window at a world where they feel they cannot belong, or feel won’t accept them.

<B>Please don’t make generalizations when it comes to mental illness, it is a crippling illness.</B>

<B>FYI It is Incapacity Benefit not invalidity benefit!</B>

<B>And before you ask no I don’t have a mental illness</B>, but I work P/T in clinical psychology with plenty of people who do. Who have had their lives shattered by mental illness, and would find you comments very offensive.

PS: Margaret43 please don’t reply to my post, as I will not be engaging in your mudslinging!
PPS: I don’t own any LG.
Me too. Many famous people have become successful whilst suffering with BP - Stephen Fry, Dido to name just a few. But for each successful person there are hundreds of people that are unable to put their lives together further than basic survival.

I truly resent the comments that some people have made saying that she could have sat at home all day, living off Benefits like loads of others. Again, for each person claiming and sitting at home all day, "living the good life" on Benefits, there are again many genuinely ill people that have tried to claim but have been refused (primarily because they don't "know" the system - nothing to do with their illness), and even more that haven't even tried claiming, but instead rely on family to help them through.

Until anyone has experience of mental illness, they should just keep opinions like this to themselves. Maybe a volunteer day spent at a local MIND drop-in centre or similar (there are a LOT of organisations out there that offer help to people suffering mental illness and they still don't cover a huge percentage of them) would help them distinguish between sitting at home sponging and sitting at home desperately ill.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back