Lulu Guiness TSV!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

LG bags are not my style, but yaaay!!! :60: for her, managing to make money (and employing people) from folk who do like her stuff. Leg up or no leg up, running a business is hard work and knowing that she has an ongoing battle with depression, I say 'good for her'.

LG bags are not my style, but yaaay!!! :60: for her, managing to make money (and employing people) from folk who do like her stuff. Leg up or no leg up, running a business is hard work and knowing that she has an ongoing battle with depression, I say 'good for her'.

Well said. My sentiments exactly. :35:

Then again, she could just claim invalidity benefit due to her bipolar disorder, watch tv all day and live off the country. As far as I can make out, she's worked jolly hard to make her company a success even if she had a leg up to begin with. She also employs around 28 people in her design studio. I don't find her case nauseating, just inspiring. Why can't people just celebrate success in this country??

Because the same success would not have happened if she had been from a council estate, suffering from bipolar and only a will/determination to succeed ....
and that is the real shame of it as there are some very young talented designers out there who just do not get a foot in the door.

Goodness me! Who would have thought that so many would display such bitterness towards those who have managed to make a success of things.

Sleep well ladies.
XXX

Because the same success would not have happened if she had been from a council estate, suffering from bipolar and only a will/determination to succeed ....
and that is the real shame of it as there are some very young talented designers out there who just do not get a foot in the door.

Sorry to dispute Star234, I really don't think that's LG's fault, one person's sad personal circumstances shouldn't negate someone else's success, and just because she happens to have been able to have a foot in the door doesn't automatically mean success. Lots of famous people launch their wares and some fail to capture the market.. LG obviously appeals to lots of people or it wouldn't sell. You and 's may not like it, but that's the way the cookie crumbles! Personally I find a lot of designer stuff quite tacky and wouldn't touch it with a bargepole even if I was a millionaire.

Goodness me! Who would have thought that so many would display such bitterness towards those who have managed to make a success of things.

Sleep well ladies.
XXX

good morning Susie J:1:
it is not bitterness about someone's success, but dismay about the way sb gets there. i am very successful myself and during the process of getting there, i have been lucky and people i know have helped, but mostly it was due to years and years of hard work, sleepless nights and missing out on most things that other people around me enjoyed. so, i have huge admiration and respect for successful people but not for those you think they are entitled to it and get there by "cutting corners". i am not referring directly to LG, but i know how it is done, i can spot the difference and, at least, i am entitled to my opinion:1:

There's a lot of inverted snobbery on this thread, so she speaks with a different accent and knows famous people, so what? There's a woman on QVC who sells fashion jewllery who has an Estuary accent and her stuff is unbelieveably overpriced (sorry can't think of her name now) but no one has a dig at her for being common.

There's a lot of inverted snobbery on this thread, so she speaks with a different accent and knows famous people, so what? There's a woman on QVC who sells fashion jewllery who has an Estuary accent and her stuff is unbelieveably overpriced (sorry can't think of her name now) but no one has a dig at her for being common.

mmm, not a very ingenious or polite comment....maybe some of us on the forum have the same accent and know famous people?
i'm not aware whom you are talking about, possibly because she is "common" QVC did not put a "Catherine" or an "AY" to drool over her....talking about snobbery:15:

This is all getting a little personal now, surely we should just accept peoples differences. So what if A comes from a privilaged background and B comes from a more humble background the point surely is that they both have a product that some people like, it may not be the same people it may not be the same product but out there someone likes their stuff because they buy it.
Just because someone has a more priviliged beginning doesnt make them less deserving of success than the rest of us we all breathe the same air. Personally i dont believe it matters where we start in life, we dont have any choice, its where we end up and some people will always have a harder climb up the slippery ladder than others, it makes no difference if the product they are selling is what people want where they came from.
I like some of LG's stuff but probably wouldnt buy it because I dont think it gives good value for money if there was something in her range that I really fell for and it wasnt too overpriced I may well treat myself

mmm, not a very ingenious or polite comment....maybe some of us on the forum have the same accent and know famous people?
i'm not aware whom you are talking about, possibly because she is "common" QVC did not put a "Catherine" or an "AY" to drool over her....talking about snobbery:15:

I stand by my comment that there is a lot of resentment at LG because she s seen as 'posh'. Maybe some of us on this forum do have the same accent or know famous people but that's not the point, all I can see is that LG is being singled put for criticism because of her upbringing and connections. QVC sell plenty of plastic overpriced stuff but I've never seen this fact become so entangled with someones 'class' before , that is my point.

I admire and respect anyone rich or poor, who have managed to become successful whilst dealing with a mental illness.:40:

I stand by my comment that there is a lot of resentment at LG because she s seen as 'posh'. Maybe some of us on this forum do have the same accent or know famous people but that's not the point, all I can see is that LG is being singled put for criticism because of her upbringing and connections. QVC sell plenty of plastic overpriced stuff but I've never seen this fact become so entangled with someones 'class' before , that is my point.

And it's a very point too! Exactly what I thought.

maybe there is a simpler reason? just because the thread is about LG?:3:

Happy Easter Ladies (and Gents)!!!!:40:

We'll have to agree to disagree. Mimi's use of the word 'resentment' sums up some people's attitude towards Lulu Guiness. Strange that, in comparison, there's very little mention of the other Lulu who was also on QVC the same day as LG. She's a singer, but has launched her own skin care range. Now, there's nothing wrong in that either - good luck to her for taking advantage of her name to expand into other areas. (As long as her nice skin is down to Time Bomb and not to invasive procedures of course, which would then be very misleading!). I wonder if that is because she's perceived as being 'down to earth' etc etc?? Anyway, 'resentment' is a very unpleasant trait, especially if it leads to 'nauseating' feelings as described earlier in the thread.

I've just caught up with this thread. Wow, all this discussion about the designer of some handbags?

Yes, I own 4 Lulu Guinness Handbags, and when I bought them I never looked into her background etc or judged her like I would never judge anyone else, regardless of their race, creed, colour. I go and buy what I like (providing it is legal and no one has been hurt in the process).

Anyone would think she is Denis Basso from the abuse that has been hurled at her in this thread! Never get angry or abusive, if you are, at least go and get angry or abusive against someone who deserves it!

Well ladies I'm a happy bunny I went to the ideal homes exhibition today and just had to stop at Harrods before:32: and I bought a lovely (as PPC would say) 'vibrant red' plastic bag for 18 quid and some loose change and it had Harrods embossed on it, it was a ****** bargain:18: Lulu you can stick your overpriced plastic bags up your shitter:9:

This post was meant as a bit of a 'tongue in cheek' I can't believe anybody thought it was anything else, ahh well you can't make everyone larf:34:

I don't resent or am I jealous of anybody who makes a living, I am self employed and I work damn hard for my money and can afford to buy LG bags, I choose not to because I don't like her designs, to me they're just plain old boring.

Wow haven't read this thread for a day or so and can't believe how the discussion has gone from whether LG's bags are good value or not, but into some sort of class war lol. I don't give a toss what LG's accent sounds like or what her background is, I just don't like her cutsey bags and regard paying £100+ for a lump of poncified plastic completely ridiculous. However, good luck to those who do but the phrase more money than sense has never seemed so apt imho. Finally.....a posh accent doesn't necessarily denote class and neither does a non-posh accent mean common - class is something you either have or you haven't, regardless of money or ancestry. :pPC:

Blimey, I wish I'd kept quiet now, apologies if I personally have upset anyone by any of my comments!
I didn't bring up the 'class' or 'posh' thing though, that's just silly, I merely pointed out I don't like people who have only got where they are (or had the chance to do so because of who they are, their name, background & connections, nothing to do with 'class' whatsoever!
(I did point out I don't like talentless little twits like Peaches Geldof for the same reason & she's as common as muck!)

I have nothing whatsoever against 'posh' people (whatever that is really!), my own DD was privately educated, speaks with a cut glass accent, had all the ponies, skiing holidays, evening dress birthday parties, blah blah blah that 'posh' people do, so.....?
Anyway, whatever, sorry if I have put anyone's nose out of joint but please don't label me with an opinion I don't actually have though! :)

Blimey, I wish I'd kept quiet now, apologies if I personally have upset anyone by any of my comments!
I didn't bring up the 'class' or 'posh' thing though, that's just silly, I merely pointed out I don't like people who have only got where they are (or had the chance to do so because of who they are, their name, background & connections, nothing to do with 'class' whatsoever!
(I did point out I don't like talentless little twits like Peaches Geldof for the same reason & she's as common as muck!)

I have nothing whatsoever against 'posh' people (whatever that is really!), my own DD was privately educated, speaks with a cut glass accent, had all the ponies, skiing holidays, evening dress birthday parties, blah blah blah that 'posh' people do, so.....?
Anyway, whatever, sorry if I have put anyone's nose out of joint but please don't label me with an opinion I don't actually have though! :)

Presumably your DD will have 'chances' because of her privileged upbringing (constituting background) that someone brought up on a sink estate would be denied? I don't meant to be contentious but it seems a bit hypocritical to me. LG can hardly be blamed for her accent/background etc. Should she just rest on her laurels and do nothing with her life because she's privileged? Someone can't choose where they are from, but they can choose to be constructive with their life as she has done. I really don't get your thinking. :6::6::6::6::6::6::6:

Presumably your DD will have 'chances' because of her privileged upbringing (constituting background) that someone brought up on a sink estate would be denied?

God, I hope not! DD gained 11 GCSE's through sheer hard slog (missing out on many trips & parties to study!), is currently halfway through her 'A' levels, is a top student & is expected to gain a place at the university of her choice & eventually after many years of training & sheer hard work, hopes to bag herself a decent job at the end of it!
Rich, poor or inbetween, making the effort at gaining qualifications & showing what you can do is what it's about, not having it handed to you on a plate?

Latest posts

Back