Liz earle shock.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Liz Earle, Bellapierre and WEN are the only brands QVC sell that are certified cruelty free. I understand the concern people may have over Avon ownership of Liz Earle brand regarding animal testing, but do wonder if those with concerns continue to buy other beauty brands from QVC that are not certified cruelty free.

Wen isn't on the Cruelty-Free International list as far as I can see - is this a new accreditation where the list hasn't been updated online do you know?

I bought LE until the Avon betrayal, I use Bellapierre sometimes, and I used L'Occitane until the lure of money got the better of them in China. Also used Melvita until L'Occitane went into China, but not any more. Personally I don't use any cosmetic or household product (cleaners, soap powders etc) that isn't endorsed by Cruelty Free International. Have been veggie and latterly vegan for 46 years, don't wear wool, silk etc., and basically check out everything I buy to try to ensure that I do everything humanly possible to live a cruelty-free life.

Having studied what the requirements are for other organisation's endorsements, it's my opinion that the Leaping Bunny is the only reliable measure by which to tell if a product is truly cruelty-free. Peta, for example, is a joke - all the manufacturer has to do is sign a piece of paper saying they're cruelty-free and Peta put them on their cruelty-free list. No checks, no audits, no nothing, just a piece of paper. With CFI you have the reassurance of regular audits of both the manufacturer and of their entire supply chain.

Urban Decay do still have cruelty free certification - http://www.gocrueltyfree.org/brands?keywords=urban+decay

So do Melvita, Liz Earle, Body Shop etc. That's the one bone of contention many followers of the Leaping Bunny have with Cruelty Free International. Many of us believe that if the parent company is cruel the subsidiaries shouldn't be allowed to use the Bunny. Cruelty Free International's line is that if the parent company is cruel they always state this on the website an in publications, and that it's then a choice for the customer whether to use cruelty-free products from a subsidiary where the parent is cruel.

Prai is a cruelty free brand as well. Cathy Kangas was elected to the Board of Directors of The Humane Society of the US in 2012. She is passionate about animals and not testing on animals .

What I want to know is why, if she's going to keep saying her brand is cruelty-free, she doesn't go for proper accreditation with the world's foremost cruelty-free monitoring body? I'm afraid I don't take anyone at face value - I want proof that Prai is cruelty-free, not just continual assurances from the person that benefits from the profits. My suspicious mind immediately equates her statements with those of Elemis, Decleor, Gatineau etc., who say they don't test on animals - but if you ask them questions about their ingredients and their suppliers they don't answer. I just wish Cathy Kangas would PROVE it.

I noticed a big banner from the Humane Group on Facebook the other day. It said EU has now banned all animal testing for cosmetics and companies could not out source others to test ingredients and products on their behalf. Now I didn't actually click on the banner to read more.

Just remember that it only affects NEW ingredients. It doesn't make established products cruelty-free and it doesn't stop the manufacturers bringing out legions of new products using the same animal-tested ingredients that their present products have. It doesn't, for example, mean that all new products from, say, L'Oreal will be cruelty-free.

Wen isn't on the Cruelty-Free International list as far as I can see - is this a new accreditation where the list hasn't been updated online do you know?

I bought LE until the Avon betrayal, I use Bellapierre sometimes, and I used L'Occitane until the lure of money got the better of them in China. Also used Melvita until L'Occitane went into China, but not any more. Personally I don't use any cosmetic or household product (cleaners, soap powders etc) that isn't endorsed by Cruelty Free International. Have been veggie and latterly vegan for 46 years, don't wear wool, silk etc., and basically check out everything I buy to try to ensure that I do everything humanly possible to live a cruelty-free life.

Having studied what the requirements are for other organisation's endorsements, it's my opinion that the Leaping Bunny is the only reliable measure by which to tell if a product is truly cruelty-free. Peta, for example, is a joke - all the manufacturer has to do is sign a piece of paper saying they're cruelty-free and Peta put them on their cruelty-free list. No checks, no audits, no nothing, just a piece of paper. With CFI you have the reassurance of regular audits of both the manufacturer and of their entire supply chain.

I actually spotted it on their Facebook page, The Leaping Bunny people posted on the Wen page, Welcoming them, not sure if it was the US branch of Leapng Bunny????? Chaz was answering a question the time before this time, he was on. Someone kept asking on the Q Facebook page as she was a Vegan and answered them live on air. Saying they used no animal ingredients or tested or got others to test any ingredients in the product on animals. Then said in the US they had the Leaping Bunny. So whether they were in the process of getting on the packaging no idea as there will be thousands of bottles out there without it.

I doubt he could claim that live on TV without it being true and he would be in big trouble with the Leaping Bunny people.

All 'Superdrug' and 'Co-op' own brands are cruelty free. Both are members of the BUAV.
I buy all my cleaning products from the Co-op, and all my body products from Superdrug.

Superdrug do two versions of C&P.
Vitamin E Cleanser - for dry/combination Skin
Naturally Radiant - for all skin types.

I use the NR one & I like it. I miss the smell of the LE product, but I can live without it.

With regard to Prai, I've never used any of the products, but I know that Cathy/Kathy (?) is an avid supporter of many animal charities, and if she says that her products are cruelty free, I do tend to believe her to be honest.

I asked on the Wen Facebook page and received this official reply.

Hi Donna, yes we are certified cruelty free through Leaping Bunny. You can find us listed in their responsible company index at www.leapingbunny.org. ~ Jillian
Leaping Bunny : Companies that don't test on animals
www.leapingbunny.org
The Coalition for Consumer Information on Cosmetics’ (CCIC) Leaping Bunny Program administers a cruelty-free standard and the internationally recognized Leaping Bunny Logo for companies producing cosmetic, personal care, and household products.

Perhaps some packaging doesn't have the logo if it was produced around the time they announced they were going to sell in China - their cruelty free certification was withdrawn, though subsequently reinstated when they reversed their decision. Some companies won't display the logo even when they are certified as they have to pay for that.
This may seem like a dumb question but why do cosmetic companies loose their bunny logo if they sell in China. M&S hand cream has the bunny logo yet it says made in China??

Any product that is sold in China has a rule by their government must be tested on animals before they are allowed to sell there.

Yet, companies who have products made there but do not sell there do not have to have them tested.

I know its very strange, the Chinese government have one rule for themselves and one for products for the rest of the world.

Any product that is sold in China has a rule by their government must be tested on animals before they are allowed to sell there.

Yet, companies who have products made there but do not sell there do not have to have them tested.

I know its very strange, the Chinese government have one rule for themselves and one for products for the rest of the world.
Now I'm totally confused! Does this mean M&S cosmetics are good or bad?

Now I'm totally confused! Does this mean M&S cosmetics are good or bad?

M&S skin care has the Leaping Bunny which is the best there is to show no testing. Does your handcream even though said Made In China have it on the tube?????

Any skin care I have bought including handcream from M&S has it and made in the UK.

Many cosmetic companies get their packaging made in China(that is the outer casing etc as its cheap), some get their brushes made there.

M&S skin care has the Leaping Bunny which is the best there is to show no testing. Does your handcream even though said Made In China have it on the tube?????

Any skin care I have bought including handcream from M&S has it and made in the UK.

Many cosmetic companies get their packaging made in China(that is the outer casing etc as its cheap), some get their brushes made there.

Thanks Both. I've checked again and all I can see is made in China, SC6054 then the M&S UK address and website then the Leaping Bunny Logo. It was in the sale basket so could be old packaging?

All 'Superdrug' and 'Co-op' own brands are cruelty free. Both are members of the BUAV.
I buy all my cleaning products from the Co-op, and all my body products from Superdrug.

Superdrug do two versions of C&P.
Vitamin E Cleanser - for dry/combination Skin
Naturally Radiant - for all skin types.

Thanks for this. I did check out both versions in Superdrug over the weekend but, unfortunately, the packaging on both says to avoid using on or around the eyes.

The search continues!....

Thanks for this. I did check out both versions in Superdrug over the weekend but, unfortunately, the packaging on both says to avoid using on or around the eyes.

The search continues!....

Thanks LL I'm still searching too, asked at M&S today which company makes their products as they seem the most likely candidates at the moment! Lady didn't know but she's going to find out for me , will check if they do all in one cleanser!:mysmilie_478:

Ive tried the Superdrug , Asda N spar , Boots and Tesco version of C&p and none of them are a patch on Liz Earle's C&P sadly :(

Ive tried the Superdrug , Asda N spar , Boots and Tesco version of C&p and none of them are a patch on Liz Earle's C&P sadly :(

I've only tried the Superdrug from these because, as far as I'm aware, the others don't have the leaping bunny. I think whether you like it will depend on your skin, because I liked the Superdrug Vit E and I think it's just as good as C&P on my skin.

Latest posts

Back