Liz Earle 'Fine Fragrance'

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I went to John Lewis today and tried the fragrance. Loved it but to me its more of an older persons scent - dont get me wrong its gorgeous but it was too strong for me. Im gutted really wanted to like it.

I did exactly the same i didn't like it all. I kept expecting the scent to change but it remained very fruity. I really wanted to like it.

Hi donna could you tell me what a chypre scent smells of please?

Chypre (sheep ra) is a family of fragrances with earthy base notes. They will have oakmoss,patchouli usually. Start off citrus top notes and earthy base.
The first one called Chypre was by Coty in 1917. The name comes from the island of Cyprus.

Then they are broken down into fruity chypre, woody chypre, floral chypre, leather chypre etc.

The most famous chypre is Mitsouko by Guerlain created in 1919. It is the queen of chypres and totally gorgeous, but lots of people cannot wear it.

Miss Dior
EL Knowing
Chanel No19 and Cristalle

Are all chypres

I love chypres, they work for me fortunately.

So is this new LE fragrance a Chypre Donna? If so, I suspect it won't be for me, and I'm even more determined not to buy it before having a snort of a sample.

I have now smelt this on myself and 3 other people (I never knew how many LE fans there were down my youngest son's school lol!) and it really does smell completely different on each of us,so not sure describing it etc helps really.After a few minutes I immediately said to the salesgirl in the shop that it reminded me of Aromatics elixir but only very briefly-and it smells more modern than that to me. I have had it 2 days now and absolutely love it. I went to my hairdresser today and she has never commented on my perfume before (tbh I only wear either Sarah Jessica Parker 'lovely' or occasionally for old times sake, Dioressence) but a I sat down she said 'ooh you smell good what is it'. She buys only very expensive fragrance and cosmetics and usually wears very strong smells so I was surprised she liked it. She didn't know who Liz Earle was!

SuziQ, Dioressence is a chypre too.

Not sure but alot of the notes are right in LE to fit a modern chypre.

They can be the most feminine elegant fragrances of all the groups. But be wary of the leathers. Some are not for the faint of heart Bandit smells like you skinned a cow and threw the hide over your shoulders until it settles down. Channel Cuir de Russie on the other hand is like the inside of a vintage Rolls all soft leather and herbs.

SuziQ, Dioressence is a chypre too.

Not sure but alot of the notes are right in LE to fit a modern chypre.

They can be the most feminine elegant fragrances of all the groups. But be wary of the leathers. Some are not for the faint of heart Bandit smells like you skinned a cow and threw the hide over your shoulders until it settles down. Channel Cuir de Russie on the other hand is like the inside of a vintage Rolls all soft leather and herbs.

Never tried this perfume BUT this is best description ever seen on the forum!!!!

Chypre (sheep ra) is a family of fragrances with earthy base notes. They will have oakmoss,patchouli usually. Start off citrus top notes and earthy base.
The first one called Chypre was by Coty in 1917. The name comes from the island of Cyprus.

Then they are broken down into fruity chypre, woody chypre, floral chypre, leather chypre etc.

The most famous chypre is Mitsouko by Guerlain created in 1919. It is the queen of chypres and totally gorgeous, but lots of people cannot wear it.

Miss Dior
EL Knowing
Chanel No19 and Cristalle

Are all chypres

I love chypres, they work for me fortunately.

Thanks for that, and could you also tell me if Alliage counts as Chypre? It would be so handy to know what 'family' of smells you're drawn to.
:flower:

On me, it starts of smelling orangey - with a touch of spice, then really mellows down to a very soft warm/spicey scent with a hint of something else - possibly a floral not entirely sure nose as is a bit blocked! I really like it anyway.

Still don't get how its based on IBST though!!

I tried this in JL tonight. At first it smelt way too citrussy for my liking and then just evaporated! Could smell nothing else! The SA said for me to give it about 15mins and I would smell the base notes! It's a real shame as it smelt lovely at first.

I tried this in JL tonight. At first it smelt way too citrussy for my liking and then just evaporated! Could smell nothing else! The SA said for me to give it about 15mins and I would smell the base notes! It's a real shame as it smelt lovely at first.

I wonder if it was a pick and mix! I cannot smell any citrus at all - just a VERY strong musky smell that lasts even after a shower and I have been using just ONE small spray.

I think it's too strong for me.

Latest posts

Back