Lesson learnt...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

C

Capirossi

Guest Shopper
It has cost me £22.50 to return 3 items to QVC today. Wake up call?! It makes me cry to think of all the money I waste on postage. It's so easy to order, especially on easy pay, and take advantage of the mbg, but when I think how much returning them has cost me over the years :(

I now try and take advantage of the DS regs, but you still lose out on the return postage.

I'm going good - who's with me?! Maybe we should start a thrift thread in The Drop!

From mobile, please excuse any silly errors!! :)

Ouch! That's a helluva lot of money to "browse" isn't it. I don't return very much but I've not bought much either. I think I could seriously cut down my returns by never buying clothes. I don't think I return much else. These days I either buy repeat purchases or stuff I know I like or jewellery. Jewellery doesn't usually go back but if it does the postage isn't a killer.

I did buy some Marta Jonsson shoes at the weekend but they were a great price and I know they'll fit as I've tried them on in my local store. And if they don't fit I'll be getting a free return label!

Rubbish isn't it.

What did you send back? (if you don't mind me asking)

Not at all! Two Lulu Guinness bags (£9.99 each fully insured) and some Judith Williams magic make up (like putting fresh air on your skin, ha ha!)

I suppose I could have sent the bags back without insurance, but if they went missing I would be gutted.

Enough is enough now. It's the High Street or somewhere with free postage, or only ordering things I am 99% certain of from now on!!

Not at all! Two Lulu Guinness bags (£9.99 each fully insured) and some Judith Williams magic make up (like putting fresh air on your skin, ha ha!)

I suppose I could have sent the bags back without insurance, but if they went missing I would be gutted.

Enough is enough now. It's the High Street or somewhere with free postage, or only ordering things I am 99% certain of from now on!!

In the days when i used to purchase loads from QVC i had to go to a couple of different post offices, as i was that
embarrassed taking things back. Felt the girl behind the counter was looking at me weirdly, probably my guilty
conscience. I"ve cut down drastically, but did buy shoes and returned them under DSR. No more shoes definately.
Did the bags arrive and you had to sign for them, i bought one of my Lulu bags from QVC and i don"t think it was
insured. I"d sent it back the same way you got it he he. Anyway a lesson learnt the hard way. I dread to think of
the money i"ve wasted on post and package also :wonder:

The postage definately makes me think twice. I was browsing clearance jewellery items a few days ago and put 4 items into the shopping basket. Mostly earrings at 2.95 pp so although the postage racked up the clearance prices were so good it would still have been worth it. What really shocked though and made me remove from the basket was a necklace with pp of 5.95! It was only a chain, plated not real so no way was it to cover an insured postage cost. So a lost sale from me.

The first thing I ever returned was a tanzanite and gold ring which cost just under £100 - those were the days! - anyway, a colleague told me she always returned jewellery by posting it back with a first class stamp. Like a twit I did the same and it never arrived back at the warehouse.

Fortunately, I had my money refunded as it was my "first offence" but I've never risked it again and dread to think how much it's cost me!

I have never had a LG bag. Do you mind me asking was the quality the reason you didnt like them Capirossi?

The only comfort we can all take from this, is, we are not on our own !!!!! Even just us few on here have made loadsaprofit for qvc !!!!!

At least we learn our lesson! I too don't order much now, repeat purchases and stuff from Last Clicks, and even then if I've got a few items in the basket and tot up the P & P I think "sod that" and log off!

I recently re married ( 1st hubby died 8 years ago ) and for the first time in over 30 years I`d to pack my whole world and move house. I was horrified at the " stuff " I had. So many bags, shoes, clothes, jewellery etc and quite a few of them still unused and many of them bought via shopping channels. Those years I spent alone after hubby died were often filled with evenings watching shopping channels and buying things, probably just for the sake of it and waiting for a delivery was something to look forward to. Often I didn`t like what I`d ordered and must have spent a small fortune in p and p returning them. My wake up call was when I was packing up my personal paperwork and decided out of curiosity to add up how much I`d spent in a year and just on p and p for delivery and returns, I reckon I must have spent enough to pay for a week`s holiday somewhere. All those fivers for delivery or returns or a tenner to do both, sure as hell added up. I haven`t ordered a thing since.

I have never had a LG bag. Do you mind me asking was the quality the reason you didnt like them Capirossi?

Hi Bauble. No, not quality. That really is second to none. I didn't like one bag and the other I ordered on a whim, having already bought 2 direct from her sale! My sensible head has kicked in again! I have enough LG to see me through, and to vouch for the outstanding quality :D

Gosh, we are all singing from the same hymn sheet. Thanks to this forum, I found out about the DSR! A collective ThankYou! Vienna, Congratulations on your recent marriage. And I love your name, as I have lived in Austria. =^.^= Thankfully, we are on the way to becoming the UnGullibles. x Snarly

I feel queasy when i think of all the money I have spent on p and p and returning stuff, one of the upsides of every purchase of mine now being a "considered" one (to use QVC talk) is that I buy far, far less. Sometimes I wonder if they think I am dead as I now shop so infrequently with them. This forum has been a godsend in calming down my reckless ways.

Congratulations on your wedding Vienna. :heart:

Last edited:
I got so caught up in the Olympics I've only bought a couple of things in the last month. I think boredom some days or evenings has a lot to do with our weakness!

Vienna - congratulations on your recent re-marriage, hope you will be very happy. It's understandable I think, all the "stuff" you accumulated during the years you were on your own, but it is a salutary lesson when you do the add-ups!

I think we all get rather sucked into it when QVC is new to us, and in a way it's like comfort-eating..if you're a bit down, fed up, it's easy to go for the cheering-up option and order something nice...I don't watch now half as much as I used to, most of the purchases I do make are done thru browsing thru the Clearance & Last Clicks, but admit I DO watch the Kipling hours and the Silver 'Eek shows, I'm a sucker for a new bag and a bit of sparkle!

QVC, they will make you pay no matter what!!!!!!

I order so much less these past few years. I sign up for newsletters from different brand companies, and wait for free shipping(some give that as a norm and will arrive the next day), or 20% off etc. I ordered something from Germany the the other week, it was 12€ shipping, which I did dither over, but it was fully insured and arrived very quickly.

I too now order less, and tend to only buy the things I repeat purchase like my skincare. I have not completely gone cold turkey though, because there are one or 2 things I gave had my eye on for ages.

I bought more when I was on maternity leave, and, I hate to say it, bored and isolated when my babies are sleeping. I felt very trapped in the house, and I absolutely loathe parents " groups" where everyone is so competitive with their children and each other... But that's a different issue. QVC became like having a radio on in the corner of the room as daytime TV is so bad. When the children are asleep and the housework is done it was so easy to order things to try. I always returned things rather than keep them, and yes, the postage piles up but this is better than keeping the stuff that just turns into clutter. I also ebayed all the years of clutter that had built up over the years, and used the money to get new worksurfaces and tiles in the kitchen, so I was pleased that I had organised that.

Now I have returned to my job, part time but increasing my hours in January to 4 days a week. The difference in my state of mind is amazing. I love the days I look after my children (but I am so tired!!!!) and for the rest of the time I am putting the world to rights ( or my little piece of it at least) getting paid to use my brain and I am spending much much less on QVC. I will always buy as long as I still like the brands I use but this is because I have a pathalogical loathing of real shopping.

This forum, I can see is a godsend for many. I somethimes think, if I were unable to work due to ill health I would very quickly slide down the slippery slope and watch QVC far too much, because I have learned that it is something I do when I am unhappy or mentally bored. No offence to my beautiful children but their mummy needs more than Mr Tumble and QVC. Mummy is happier when mummy's brain is active.

I would really love to know how, those of you who are anti " groups" be it mummy groups, " we all have the same illness" " over 50's, whatever the group may be, if you are at home for whatever reason, is QVC your friend or foe? Is this forum enough to stop you spending too much?

Maybe I should have asked hubby to block the channel!

Latest posts

Back