KitchenAid TSV Tues 6th March

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I was baking bread in my kenwood chef last week and had it kneedng whilst I was greasing the tray with my back to it. There was a huge bang and the whole thing had 'walked' off the worktop onto the tiled kitchen floor - it had even pulled the plug right out of its socket. The good thing is it worked perfectly when I switched it back on.

I don't know if this is a bad thing as it shouldn't do this or a good thing as it still worked!

Still lust after a Kitchenaid:happy:

I was baking bread in my kenwood chef last week and had it kneedng whilst I was greasing the tray with my back to it. There was a huge bang and the whole thing had 'walked' off the worktop onto the tiled kitchen floor - it had even pulled the plug right out of its socket. The good thing is it worked perfectly when I switched it back on.

I don't know if this is a bad thing as it shouldn't do this or a good thing as it still worked!

Still lust after a Kitchenaid:happy:

:giggle::giggle::giggle:

I really do understand it's the creating and using the ingredients you choose, the love of the machine, being able to stroke it, having people envy it in your kitchen etc. etc. etc.
I wish they wouldn't major on the saving of money making your own with this mixer.
Like with the example I heard ingredients cost .90p whilst bought bread would be 1.50p.
Correct be if I'm wrong but on top of the .90p would be electic/gas costs, not to mention the mega recoup of the £400.

Right love stuff to make ice cream as you say may cost .80p, but your going to have to make a shed load of ice cream or whatever to recoup the cost of the machine.

It isn't only about cost. I bake and cook because I enjoy it and it is good to have fresh food during the week. I only food shop once a week on a Friday (living in the countryside we do not have a shop nearby) so by the following Tuesday/Wednesday we would be eating stale bread etc. and I do not like frozen bread. Also as they do keep saying on the presentations you know what is going in is fresh and no preservatives etc.

It is also good to create your own recipes and adapt them. So you can have whatever you want and not just what you can get in the supermarket.

It isn't only about cost. I bake and cook because I enjoy it and it is good to have fresh food during the week. I only food shop once a week on a Friday (living in the countryside we do not have a shop nearby) so by the following Tuesday/Wednesday we would be eating stale bread etc. and I do not like frozen bread. Also as they do keep saying on the presentations you know what is going in is fresh and no preservatives etc.

It is also good to create your own recipes and adapt them. So you can have whatever you want and not just what you can get in the supermarket.

Have you got a good recipe for a basic white loaf to make with the Kenwood please

I don't make much white bread as may families favourite is honey and sunflower bread or granary. Do you have the kenwood recipe book - because if I make white I just use the recipe from in there. If you haven't I will post it here for you.

I also do Internet searches for recipes as you can get lots of tips. The one I read the other day was to use a shower cap instead of cling film over your bowl when proving the dough. I will be 'nicking' the shower caps next time I stay in a hotel as that seems like a great idea:blush:

Looked at the JL site earlier to compare to TSV - worrying couple of reviews about the motor breaking down in first three months - I think I'll leave it a while to see what other reviewers say.

http://www.johnlewis.com/230172060/Product.aspx

JL does give a 5 year warranty though which is good.

Edited to add that I also found this thread on Amazon - read down and there are a large number of people who have had faults with the machines:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/forum/cooking?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=FxU58WR6J6QX29&cdThread=Tx3C9EU2VH82SZU

Last edited:
I have a KitchenAid Artisan. I'm a foodie and love cooking. I bought it because I knew I'd use it, and it's a top-notch quality culinary machine that happens to be beautiful. Yes, it's pricey, but some people spend their money on booze, fags and going out to dinner. I spend mine on cookery books and equipment, and an happy doing just that.

I have a KitchenAid Artisan. I'm a foodie and love cooking. I bought it because I knew I'd use it, and it's a top-notch quality culinary machine that happens to be beautiful. Yes, it's pricey, but some people spend their money on booze, fags and going out to dinner. I spend mine on cookery books and equipment, and an happy doing just that.

Yes correct but there's quite a lot don't have the money to spend on any of those let alone a £400 mixer.
Bags saving her money for a new front door, will hopefully have a less drafty hall come next winter.

Last edited:
Yes correct but there's quite a lot don't have the money to spend on any of those let alone a £400 mixer.

True. I bought it out of my redundancy money. I also bought it as a factory second and paid about £300 for it. I'm not suggesting everyone must own a KitchenAid. I'm just saying everyone has their vices. If you smoke and drink alone, your annual expenditure on those hobbies are likely to be in excess of £400. I don't do either so I choose to spend the equivalent on cooking equipment and cookery books. Whatever makes you happy!

Have you got a good recipe for a basic white loaf to make with the Kenwood please

A cup and a third of hand temperature water,
Three and a third cups of strong white bread flour,
A teaspoon or sugar,
Teaspoon of salt,
Two teaspoon s easy bake yeast,
A tablespoon of oil.

Whack it all in, knead it all for a bit, leave it covered for a bit, knead it a little bit more, leave it to rise somewhere warm, bake it.

I make all my own bread, one a day normally. My kids turn their noses up at shop bought bread now. X

a lot of shop bought food has processed fats that are very unhealthy. i actually love cooking and believe making your own food where possible is pleasurable and in the main more delicious. but thats just my opinion people spend thier money and eat whatever they like

I am going to buy one from Debenhams as they are in the sale at the moment and it is the Artesan so a better model than they have on QVC. It is £377 and if I buy in the next couple of days I can have an extra 10% off for paying on my Debenhams Card and if I buy online and go through Quidco I can get an extra 5% cashback so it works out at around £322.

Just need to decide on which colour to buy now :clapping:

I am going to buy one from Debenhams as they are in the sale at the moment and it is the Artesan so a better model than they have on QVC. It is £377 and if I buy in the next couple of days I can have an extra 10% off for paying on my Debenhams Card and if I buy online and go through Quidco I can get an extra 5% cashback so it works out at around £322.

Just need to decide on which colour to buy now :clapping:

Mine is Candy Apple Red - a glossy metallic apple red. Just beautiful!

£400+, going to last for decades?.... think I've left it too late to get my money's worth!! :grin:

Come on now Frazzled, think positively, with the way medical science is going, you and I have probably got another five decades left!!! :clapping:
It does seem a lot of money, but if you use it regularly, I'm sure it's worth it. My DD is an avid baker and recently when her old (cheap) mixer blew up, she decided to go for quality and fancied a KA. We tootled off to John Lewis and were surprised to find what a difference there is in power between the Kenwood Titanium and the KA Artisan (1400w v. 300w), so we wondered whether it's a case of style over substance. They also had the Kenwood kMix which is similar in style to the KA, but with a 500w motor. Although she much preferred the look of the KA, she is a serious baker, so decided to go for the Kenwood. She got it from Amazon at a great price (it included a liquidiser and a food processor) and hasn't looked back.

I have had a Kenwood Chef Titanium KM020 on my Amazon wish list for some time. I like cooking but rarely eat bread or cakes. I am too scared of becoming addicted to home baked goods to hit buy. I am sure however that I will eventually have a moment of weakness...

The thought of a home made pavlova is tempting me so much! Pavlova and a pavlovian conditioning to eat food that is bad for me! Poor dogs!

(I also have an electric bubble machine on my wish list but that's because I'm a big kid at heart!)

Stuart

Latest posts

Back