Kipling advice and opinions please

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Wornoutcreditcard

Registered Shopper
Evening all I'd like to canals your opinions about the appropriateness of Kipling bags for someone who doesn't want to look like a student lugging around text books and a stuffed monkey. Personally I like the quality of the bags but think they are over privced and childish. As a mature woman I'd like the styles in more grown up fabrics minus the monkey. What do you think?

I think it is a marmite thing.

I know they are loved by many of our lovely forum members but I don't really get it. I have purchased one or two for travelling but to be honest if it wasn't for lightness etc I wouldn't even bother with that. I rarely use them otherwise.

I am amazed at the prices for something that reminds me of a fancy wash bag. There was a bag on tonight for 80 squid being sold as a beach bag and it looked like a baby bag to me.

Sorry, not for me!

Have a look on the kipling website and amazon, they do much more smarter bags than the styles Q carry. I've a small leather clutch bag that I picked up for £30 on amazon and you'd never know it was Kipling, but it's got all the excellent compartments you get with kipling bags.

The Enora is also a smart looking bag in their regular nylon fabric, again look elsewhere from Q as it's much cheaper and comes in more grown up plain colours than the awful monkey mania patterns Q flog.

To each their own thing. I`m not a Kipling fan but I own one large plain grey Kipling bag which I use as a combined handbag/shopping bag when I`ve just a few things to buy from town. It`s big enough for bits and bobs and stronger than a plastic carrier bag.
I don`t get the monkey thing at all but fine for those who do. I wouldn`t want one as an everyday handbag nor would I want a collection of them and I certainly wouldn`t use one of their fabric bags for a social outing but that`s just my opinion. I think some of them are way too expensive for what they are but its all down to supply and demand. People like them so they`re prepared to pay the asking price for them.
I notice of Q`s facebook page somebody was actually asking for monkey mania bedding ........ sheesh !

I like some kipling bags and have a few but also have a couple of lulu guinness ones as well, from one extreme to the other, I can't stand the monkeys myself and cannot see the appeal of these at all, but do love the lightness of them and they do seem extremely hard wearing, I would not use one for a smart social event but they are great for travelling and I do use a black snake orellie for work which is one of my favourite styles along with the Enora as it is quite a streamlined style and I like the traditional shape of them, I do agree that they are expensive for what they are but I have had some good bargains from Amazon and think they will last you a lifetime!

I'm a fan of Kipling & in my (early! lol) 50's.

I feel they are good bags for commuters because of the external pockets where I can keep my Oyster Card easily accessible & on its own so there is no danger of me pulling out something else by mistake.

I like a bag I can use & not be precious about. They are very hardwearing & it takes years of use for them to start looking anywhere near tatty.

They go in the washing machine & come out like new which is great for the lighter coloured ones or if there is a spillage.

They may be expensive but I don't often pay full price for one & going on number of uses they work out better value than the leather bags I own.

i personally prefer to take the monkeys off.

I'm also a fan of their purses/wallets for their organisational qualities (and I try to match the colours where possible).

I agree, I wouldn't use one for a formal occasion but I would for a casual night out.

The brand of bags I really don't "get" and are very popular around London are Longchamp.

I'm a Kipling fan though I don't get the monkey thing and always take them off any new bags. My old casual beige Kipling Europa, bought for £25 from ebay several years ago, is my go-to bag of choice, with loads of extra pockets for organization and a large central compartment for junk. I'm retired so it suits my lifestyle perfectly. I do have several bags and have sold more than I care to say, but what I have now is a choice of colours in different bags - if I need a different colour, which isn't all that often, to be honest. They're very practical, strong, and don't look tacky, always come up well after a wash. Some of the newer bags are quite stylish but it depends on what you want. I wouldn't use them for going out to a posh restaurant, but if that's what you want, then that's what you do. I'd say for a practical, strong, well-made bag that'll help you organise yourself, you can't go wrong. But it depends on your lifestyle and what feels right for you. I also have a cactus green Kipling Uzario purse which holds absolutely everything and is very secure with good zips - and the colour stands out in my bag, too. I paid £22 on amazon - QVC price is £40 less 5p. Shop around ebay, amazon, tkmaxx etc for better prices. QVC Germany have a good selection, but I don't know how you order from them.

I have a number of Kilping bags, but they do not have a fluffy monkey on them( they are brass and leather), I did have one in the early days but the cats tried to dismember it :mysmilie_19:, so took it off. I have a City April in brown used it as my everyday work bag for about 4 or 5 years and still going. The City range are/were have leather trims on them. I own two Diva range called Donna(hey guess why I bought them?????), which are heavy material and leather bought on ebay. I never seen the range in the UK and they seemed to be for the US market. Think that range is discontinued??? They are not shoulder style but in the crook of your arm and very very good quality. I find the ones they sell on QVC now very basic and once you see the better quality ones you don't go back.

As said look on Amazon or Kilpings own site they usually have some sort of sale or deal on.

I used to pay hundreds of pounds for good leather bags in the 80/90's for work as they looked smart etc.. but I don't buy leather now as handbags can get pretty grotty and with kipling you can put them in the washing machine. I prefer smaller bags the chilly being my fav bag and I don't like Velcro bags.

I dress more casual day to day and kipling suits my lifestyle now. I don't by all basic I like the city range as its smart. but my black chilly and the smarter "hip" range are great for day to day. I sell bags when I get fed up of them and you get a good return for your money. I buy most on amazon or I live near a kipling store and buy in the sale. never ever paid full price

The brand of bags I really don't "get" and are very popular around London are Longchamp.

I've never heard of this brand before, so thought I would Google it and I'll be honest, I quite like the look of them. lol!

I like Kipling bag, generally speaking. I do have a collection, but it tiny compared to what you hear on QVC that people from the 'Kipling Community' have.

I only ever use the bags I have as 'everyday use' bags, never 'going out' bags.

I have only ever bought two TSVs of Kipling (still use one, sold the other on Ebay) but I have bought other bags & accessories from Amazon & Kipling direct, as I too think QVC is becoming very overpriced for this brand.

I quite like the outlet store at Cheshire Oaks and when I was in America in 2012 I got a bit carried away (well I bought a lunch box, a purse and a tiny cross body bag) in their outlet store (but that was amazing, I could have bought loads, it was so cheap).

I have a couple of cross body bags that I use a lot, I also have a Bravo which is an old model, it's quite a large bag in Orchid colour but I don't use it these days although it's handy for travelling as it hold loads including my iPad.

I love thy different colours and styles ...some casual some smart and they do organise me and don't hurt my back which is an issue for me with most bags....shop around i usually type in "cheap Kipling bags" on Google and it comes up with all Sorts of great websites...:0) ... Most of which I've bought from .....the first page and second pages are usually reliable...and if you type in smart or Kipling work bags that might help ..I love fun and colour and quality ...;0)

I like my kipling bags. I like the different colours and sizes and the fact that they are lightweight. I also take the monkey off the bag. I tend to buy from Amazon, as they have some good deals, and last year I got an Enora for less than £30 which is a great bag - bigger than what I would normally go for, as I like small cross body.

I think QVC is now getting silly with their prices for Kipling - they are just nylon bags after all. I also like Cheshire Oaks for the Kipling outlet - have had a couple of great bargains there - makes note to go back very soon.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, everyone. The kipling bags I actually own were from QVC and amazon. I do like the quality but think they are very unsophisticated looking I will take your advice and go for a leather Kipling if I can find one. I do wish they would have more variety when they are on QVC( they all look like school bags) but I probably wouldn't buy unless on easy pay because of the ridiculous postage costs.

Despite my earlier post. I would be the first to admit that they seem to be impossible to wear out and I wish other bags came in the same variety of colours rather than a choice of black or black. I think for me it is the fabric that I don't take to plus the price! I would like a leather one but they are far too expensive.

i personally think kipling bags are excellent value, very practical and the monkey is removable if you feel more comfortable without it.

P.S... i have over 50 kipling bags in various colours/prints and shapes/styles etc..

More expensive than a fabric Kipling but if anybody`s looking for a handmade leather bag then I can recommend this site. She`ll make your bag in any colour ( depending on her stock of leather ) and will do her best to fit in with any customisation you may want, such as strap length, zips and decoration.
http://www.cuero.co.uk/about

I love my kipling bags and for a variety of reasons.

I would never ever have a leather bag and once you've used a Kipling bag you realise how heavy every other bag is in comparison.As its already been said,I too like the fact I can really "use" a kipling bag and I dont have to worry about it.I have even accidentally dropped my kipling bag in a rainy gutter and it came out with the contents intact and went in the washing machine.Last summer my DH treated me to a radley signature picture bag and on the first hour,the leather was marked.It was a lovely thought apart from the fact I dont like leather lol but I could never have a bag that I need to worry over!! I love kipling for their long straps and organisational pockets.....I love the fact that when my phone rings,I know exactly where it is,as do I know where my keys are,purse are and car park ticket is!!! I love the amazing colours that dont fade or wear.

There are a couple of downfalls yes.I agree with you some of the prints and styles can look a bit childish.I have a TSV bag...I think it was a TSV at Christmas and its quite small and I bought in a purple print and when I wear it,particularly cross body,I do feel its a bit childish.But there are so many styles and prints,I think thats very much down to personal taste.And they are expensive and the prices seem to be increasing all the time.A good few years back granted, a big bag was considered dear at around £50....now £50 seems nearer the norm for the everyday bags.

I do not think QVC is a good representation of Kipling.They have limited prints and colours - and often old ones - and for a hefty price with the P&P.I rarely buy a kipling from QVC - although I did yesterday as it was on easy pay.....or unless its a TSV.Kiping is far more competitive on amazon or ebay.thats where I buy most of mine.The monkey debate is a very individual thing I think.I dont mind them and often keep them on my bags,normally for the fact when I sell them on as I sometimes too,they do hold their value but only with the monkey.The price of them decreases hugely if they are sold without their monkey.

Latest posts

Back