Kathy T joined the club

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Bensmum

Registered Shopper
I see Kathy Tayler is now talking complete boll***s now too. She's on the morning show with a diamonique ring. She said she was out shopping with her 19 year old daughter and they saw a £900 diamond engagement ring and her daughter couldn't believe the price (has she been brought up on another planet I wonder?) Kathy said "it would be much better to buy a diamonique ring and spend the money on a honeymoon instead".

Imagine the scene. You're in a posh restaurant and he suddenly gets down on one knee and opens a little box. You're all tingling with excitement, waiting to see what he's chosen for you to wear on your finger for the rest of your life. Inside there is a stunning, gorgeous, sparkling solitaire ...... 20 quid diamonique ring. Don't know about anyone else, but my answer would be NO - not on your nelly mate. :heartbroke:

I see Kathy Tayler is now talking complete boll***s now too. She's on the morning show with a diamonique ring. She said she was out shopping with her 19 year old daughter and they saw a £900 diamond engagement ring and her daughter couldn't believe the price (has she been brought up on another planet I wonder?) Kathy said "it would be much better to buy a diamonique ring and spend the money on a honeymoon instead".

Imagine the scene. You're in a posh restaurant and he suddenly gets down on one knee and opens a little box. You're all tingling with excitement, waiting to see what he's chosen for you to wear on your finger for the rest of your life. Inside there is a stunning, gorgeous, sparkling solitaire ...... 20 quid diamonique ring. Don't know about anyone else, but my answer would be NO - not on your nelly mate. :heartbroke:

Hmmm - now you see I'm with Kathy on this one. I know she's trying to flog whatever she's selling and all that jazz - but I'd honestly rather have a cheaper ring and a nice honeymoon, or have the money to put towards wherever I was going to live with his nibs...:tongue:

I used to think I'd rather have a sizeable fake rock than a tiny real one but have to admit the closer I get to the actual event (we've been together for years, aren't in any hurry but know in a year or two it's gonna happen), the more I eye up the real rings. My how attitudes change.

I don't think you should need a big rock as an incentive to marry someone but IF he's going to make the gesture (not as much of an 'engagement-ring culture' where I come from) it would be good if he knew that the intended bride was ok with receiving something fake, otherwise things could go really wrong, really fast!

My 'engagement' ring was £1.99 from Topshop, I wore it on my thumb and it turned my thumb green after a few months!! I still have it though and it reminds me of the sentiment behind it, we couldn't afford a ring and didn't give a monkeys. Still don't have one, still don't want one! :happy:

Tx

'Till death do us part'. If you really mean that then a fake diamond won't stand the test of time and if you don't then there's no point in saying it in the first place. A honeymoon will be merely a memory and other material things will end up in the skip at some point. A ring you'll wear always - as the saying goes 'A Diamond is Forever'.

It doesn't have to be big - just a real one. And yes you can tell, despite what Le Q say.

When we got engaged 27 years ago, we had no money. Not improved much since! I got a ring with a tiny chip diamond which I was never really in love with but I was young and just wanted a ring on my finger. Fast forward about 18 years and the ring got lost so I bought a 1ct equiv diamonique gold ring from QVC. It would be my dream ring if it was real diamonds, but to be honest its pretty close. Had loads of compliments and it does not look fake. That was all before the price of gold shot up. I notice now the price of similar on QVC is pretty high for what is essentially a fake diamond. Still, I am a happy bunny with mine.:happy:

I wouldn't feel safe wearing an expensive ring - I'd much rather be given a Lola Rose ring that I wouldn't feel the need to hide from potential muggers. Anyway bit of a moot point for me since I would never want to get married.

I have to admit I don't get why you'd need a diamond to be assured that a marriage is going to last - I feel that if you need that to reassure you you should think twice about taking that step in the first place.

I have to admit I don't get why you'd need a diamond to be assured that a marriage is going to last - I feel that if you need that to reassure you you should think twice about taking that step in the first place.

I totally agree. You don't need a ring of any kind to reassure you but if you do want a diamond then you'll wear it always and it therefore needs to a real one. Diamonique set in flimsy gold will not last for 20, 30, 40, 50, 60 years.

Money, money, money....

First post so be gentle with me... I heard recently that a good gauge to the other half's generosity is to expect them to spend a month's salary on your engagement ring - if only I'd know that 20 years ago!

Actually, I wouldn't have expected him to spend that much but would have loved it if we could have afforded to :happy:.

(what! no spel check aghhh)

When I read out an article to my OH that said you should budget 2 months' salary he said, oh, I should buy one now then! (he was earning about 300£ a month back then, wouldn't want to say that now as he's back in a research job - I'd hate to carry that much cash on my finger!)

To be honest, I just don't know. I don't wear jewelery at all but somehow like the idea of a nice engagement ring, but also think that if you're strapped for cash and the thing is going to cost 2 morgage payments you really have to ask yourself whether it's really worth it. Why not wait until you're settled and have an anniversary ring, for example?

Though the beauty of it is that every couple can decide for themselves what they want to do and how they want to do it.

I loved my diamond and ruby engagement ring ~ it wasn't hugely expensive, but it wasn't cheap either and I got loads of compliments on it. I wore it happily for many years, but got bored and decided I didn't really like it anymore. I've been married for 25 years now and don't bother with my wedding, engagement or eternity rings. Tastes change and what I loved then I've gone off now.
I love rings and wear what takes my fancy on my ring finger. I often don't wear any rings at all.
I agree with Kathy's sentiment and memories of a honeymoon last forever, but a ring can lose it's allure whatever the cost.

(mum writes)

Many moons ago I had a real engagement ring. Sadly, as times got tougher over the years, it had to go the way of the saleroom to put food on the table. I've never really felt the need to have to replace it. The wedding band was enough for me. I wouldn't pay the price of diamonds now anyhow, I really don't feel they are worth it. When I was younger, I had accumulated a fair bit of sparkle from a friend who was in the jewellery trade. When it came to selling the stuff to make money, it was practically worthless - no one was interested and those that were just paid scrap metal value for it. There is no investment value in jewellery. I don't think people believe that big stones are real anyhow. Most people assume they're fakes. The value in a ring is what you make of it, not what it's made of.

I got engaged to my hubby 38 years ago I had a little diamond cluster ring it was'nt very expensive and we married 5 years later ,I wore my engagement ring every day until our silver wedding and then I had a new engagment ring but I have bought other rings that I some times wear with my wedding band for a change though I will never part with my original ring

First post so be gentle with me... I heard recently that a good gauge to the other half's generosity is to expect them to spend a month's salary on your engagement ring - if only I'd know that 20 years ago!

Actually, I wouldn't have expected him to spend that much but would have loved it if we could have afforded to :happy:.

Welcome to the forum, hope we hear more from you. x:hi:

I had to have my wedding and engagement rings cut off when my hand swelled badly due to a scald. Since then, I have only worn Diamonique in various designs. My original rings are in a box and I have no desire to have them repaired. Our honeymoon didn't cost much and we nearly didn't bother with one except that we got a very cheap last minute deal. It was magical and memorable and led to us coming to live here almost 20 years later. We will always have that memory and I don't need to look at my ring finger to remind me how much I love my husband.
Some people see it as more of a symbol than we do and in that case, I can understand why they feel it has to be a diamond.

Welcome London. Hope you enjoy posting as much as I do.

I read that too. I suppose it depends on what stage of your lives you're at. The last thing we want is for blokes to feel a failure if they can't afford a rock. Any diamond would be gratefully accepted.

Well having recently got engaged after 5 years together my fiancee popped the question with a solitaire stone, which judging by the size and our lack of funds I knew wouldn't be real. It was a lovely ring but not for me, I had always fancied an antique style ring and had even suggested a £30 one from QVC!

When I found out the cost of the one he chose I figured I would add some cash to it and we could look about for something more to my taste! He's a cool dude so was happy for me to pick one myself. Well I got a 0.15ct diamond pave ring, art deco style which wasn't much more than he paid for the other one and I love it!

For me it wasn't really the cost it was more the style and something to suit me. OH is just happy that I'm happy with it, oh and that I said YES! lol x

Congratulations!

I think it's quite good that nowadays you can either ask for what you want or, favourite scenario, pop the question and go ring shopping together.

Well having recently got engaged after 5 years together my fiancee popped the question with a solitaire stone, which judging by the size and our lack of funds I knew wouldn't be real. It was a lovely ring but not for me, I had always fancied an antique style ring and had even suggested a £30 one from QVC!

When I found out the cost of the one he chose I figured I would add some cash to it and we could look about for something more to my taste! He's a cool dude so was happy for me to pick one myself. Well I got a 0.15ct diamond pave ring, art deco style which wasn't much more than he paid for the other one and I love it!

For me it wasn't really the cost it was more the style and something to suit me. OH is just happy that I'm happy with it, oh and that I said YES! lol x

Congratulations on your engagement.:flower::flower:

Latest posts

Back