Just when you think it can't get any worse........

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Knowing Gemporia, it'll be a ghost of Vicky Carr. The ultimate horror story.

I'd prefer it to be a ghost of someone decent like Scott Worsfold, Rae Carpenter, Lara de-Leuw, etc.
I wish Scott would come back, also Matt McNamara, Rae, Derek, Drew and Liv Edmonds (she was as crazy as a box of frogs but you couldn't help liking her). Scott and Derek both liked a laugh, but were extremely knowledgeable about what they were selling, nowadays we don't get the laughs, nor do we get any knowledge. And preserve us from Vicky Carr, she of the 'now you hear it, now you don't' Geordie accent.

I wish Scott would come back, also Matt McNamara, Rae, Derek, Drew and Liv Edmonds (she was as crazy as a box of frogs but you couldn't help liking her). Scott and Derek both liked a laugh, but were extremely knowledgeable about what they were selling, nowadays we don't get the laughs, nor do we get any knowledge. And preserve us from Vicky Carr, she of the 'now you hear it, now you don't' Geordie accent.
All of those plus Rod Jinks...I'll never forget some of the mucking around they did at Halloween. So funny.

I like Scott and Rae. Don't know who Lara was...maybe on screen a v long time ago?

Lara left after Scott, but a bit before Rae if I remember correctly.

I think you'd recognise Lara if you saw her. She was on Rocks TV for a while, and then moved to the ill-fated late shift on Gem Collector back when they tried to go all-day, with 4 presenters.

She was very knowledgeable (a proper, qualified gemmologist - not just GIA AJP accreditation) and calm, but could have a sense of humour too.

All of those plus Rod Jinks...I'll never forget some of the mucking around they did at Halloween. So funny.

Rod had clearly lost interest in the end. His witty sense of humour had all but gone, and he seemed to lose a lot of time.

I think he'd got the hump at being moved from The Lounge, over to Gem Collector (where he didn't really fit in), and then onto the 3am until 7am shift on Gems TV before being made redundant.

I know Rod was popular with people, but I couldn't warm to him. I found his style of humour a bit too childish and cringey. He wasn't very intelligent either. He was up there alongside Lindsey Carr on the intelligence scale.

He now works for Chalmers Gems.

Lara left after Scott, but a bit before Rae if I remember correctly.

I think you'd recognise Lara if you saw her. She was on Rocks TV for a while, and then moved to the ill-fated late shift on Gem Collector back when they tried to go all-day, with 4 presenters.

She was very knowledgeable (a proper, qualified gemmologist - not just GIA AJP accreditation) and calm, but could have a sense of humour too.

No, I don't remember her at all.

Rod had clearly lost interest in the end. His witty sense of humour had all but gone, and he seemed to lose a lot of time.

I think he'd got the hump at being moved from The Lounge, over to Gem Collector (where he didn't really fit in), and then onto the 3am until 7am shift on Gems TV before being made redundant.

I know Rod was popular with people, but I couldn't warm to him. I found his style of humour a bit too childish and cringey. He wasn't very intelligent either. He was up there alongside Lindsey Carr on the intelligence scale.

Ah now come on...surely he was higher up the scale than that!!
I never watched Gem Collector and was tucked up in bed by 3am so I just thought he'd left.

Rod had the intelligence to be witty, if you know what I mean. As the old saying goes - 'It takes a wise man to be an idiot.'

I noticed today that almost every item (possibly every, but I didn’t check) on the Gemporia website now has a tag “excluded from all discount codes”. This means when they do their 20% off site wide, you will find it difficult go apply to anything.

I noticed today that almost every item (possibly every, but I didn’t check) on the Gemporia website now has a tag “excluded from all discount codes”. This means when they do their 20% off site wide, you will find it difficult go apply to anything.
Yes I saw that. Yet another concession to customers gone. That’ll boost their sales NOT. I’ve also noticed that when Jeff gives a discount it’s now usually a very small amount. And very often when he shows a loads & codes it’s the same price it was last time it was shown. When he discounts it’s often just c. £ 20.

Yes I saw that. Yet another concession to customers gone. That’ll boost their sales NOT. I’ve also noticed that when Jeff gives a discount it’s now usually a very small amount. And very often when he shows a loads & codes it’s the same price it was last time it was shown. When he discounts it’s often just c. £ 20.
Interesting as this is a recent change. I think someone was waiting for their annual financial statements on here, i’m intrigued about their profit after loss.

I've not seen enough of Debbie to form an opinion, but Cherry always looks like she's angry and aggressive. I thought she was about to punch Toby in the face while he was talking the other day, based on the look on her face.

I quite like Toby though (even though he's starting to go down the slippery slope of making more and more dubious claims a bit more often now - something he once seemed to distance himself away from). I think he's the least shystery amongst a channel full of shysters. He does have a personality and a sense of humour too. He's not full of himself, like Dave and Jake. I would imagine that, outside of work, he's a genuinely nice guy to go down the pub to have a drink with.

I really hope Toby doesn't start going further down the dubious claims route though because he is the one guy out of the three so-called gem experts that does have some credibility. He does have a genuine background in gems, particularly Rubies and Sapphires. Unlike Troth, who seems to suddenly become an expert in whatever he's been offered to flog by the Chinese. When Charlie Barron was around, Dave was never put of air to talk about Pearls - but now Charlie Barron has gone, they can't wheel Dave out quickly enough to share his 'expertise' in Pearls with us. If Kati Elliott had to take 2 months off work, I have visions of Troth suddenly being wheeled to tell us he's a mascara and lipstick expert............

As for Jake, the least said the better. If he told me the sky is blue, I'd have to go outside to check because I wouldn't believe him.
I remember when she was presenting on Rocks TV years ago, she always seemed quite aggressive and 'in yer face' then. She seems to have a very different personality from Toby. I wonder how she gets on with the other presenters - on Rocks & Co. it was a very different set-up - the Cavills ruled the roost.

I've just had a look, and everthing I have looked at had the, excluded from all discount codes, on them. I did notice that they started doing this to a couple of items, but now it appears it is now virtually all. I bought two rings from them last week with a 25% discount code, and now on both items you cannot use a code. I guess that will be the end of me buying from them completely. I liked to use a code, and am not going to sit and watch endless shows in the hope that an item I like might appear. I wonder whose bright idea that was. Bye Gemporia.

I wonder whose bright idea that was.

Jake is managing director now - so presumably, it was him.

This is what happens when someone with no business experience is given the top role simply because they've married in to family.

Jake Thompson has somehow made Gemporia worse than Colin Wagstaffe did - and that is some achievement in itself.

Latest posts

Back