Julia Roberts in a Mini Skirt...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I love the honest reviews on products, I especially love the sneak previews & the alternative stockists tips.

Why do women get criticised so much for their appearance?
Especially from other women :-(
It doesn't happen to men.
Why do women tear other women down :-(
They are more than the sum total of what they look like.

The only women who get criticism for their appearance, are the women who are on a shopping channel who are trying to get you to part with your money and look absolutely awful while doing it, JR trying to flog clothes but looks like mutton dressed as lamb, JF trying to flog clothes yet wears a bull dog clip on the back because she doesn't like the look of them (but of course they're ok for you though) AY flogging Philip Kingsley but whose hair looks like straw with half a tonne of grease on it, AK flogging faux tan and how marvellous it is, but is an obvious lover of the real thing, DF, well I'll say no more there, so do you see were I'm going here? If presenters are trying to get money off people by deceit and looking awful while doing it, then they should be held accountable. If you feel you're easily offended or need take offence on their behalf then I suggest this isn't the place for you.

The only woman who get criticism for their appearance, are the woman who are on a shopping channel who are trying to get you to part with your money and look absolutely awful while doing it, JR trying to flog clothes but looks like mutton dressed as lamb, JF trying to flog clothes yet wears a bull dog clip on the back because she doesn't like the look of them (but of course they're ok for you though) AY flogging Philip Kingsley but whose hair looks like straw with half a tonne of grease on it, AK flogging faux tan and how marvellous it is, but is an obvious lover of the real thing, DF, well I'll say no more there, so do you see were I'm going here? If presenters are trying to get money off people by deceit and looking awful while doing it, then they should be held accountable. If you feel you're easily offended or need take offence on their behalf then I suggest this isn't the place for you.

Well I think that's the third time it's been suggested I jog on......

I certainly don't take offence easily, I just think women should be judged on more than their appearance.

I certainly don't take offence easily, I just think women should be judged on more than their appearance.

I agree - this forum has become more negative over the last year... it used to be fun and people came here to share.

Now, if you want to be positive you are quickly shouted down by others who have the following stock phrases:

- You can always get it cheaper...

- The fashion is market tat, too loud, too much man-made fibres, all the same etc etc

- It's a rip off

- It's boring

- The presenters don't live in the real world

- Julia is too old, her hair is too long for her age etc

- Jill is too thin, wrinkled, vacuous etc

- Alison is not an expert and is old fashioned, uses too much glow stick etc etc

In fact - pretty much groundhog day.

If they were selling curtains/plants/cameras it wouldn't matter a toss. BUT these are the people who are hard selling good looks at eye watering prices so if they can't get it right then are they qualified to tell me what I should be buying?

Imagine going to a hairdresser with a cut that a blind man could do a petter job, or a dentist with bad breath, or a personal trainer weighing 18stone - you would run a mile and say plenty about it to others.

Sorry if you feel you have been picked on, I think perhaps you are more interested in the beauty items which you probably would buy outside of Q anyway so perhaps don't find the presenters and Groundhog Day shows as annoying as others.

Anyway please say your piece but accept that others might not always agree. Free speech and plenty of humour is what we want (I certainly don't want unwarranted **se licking).

I agree - this forum has become more negative over the last year... it used to be fun and people came here to share.

Now, if you want to be positive you are quickly shouted down by others who have the following stock phrases:

- You can always get it cheaper...

- The fashion is market tat, too loud, too much man-made fibres, all the same etc etc

- It's a rip off

- It's boring

- The presenters don't live in the real world

- Julia is too old, her hair is too long for her age etc

- Jill is too thin, wrinkled, vacuous etc

- Alison is not an expert and is old fashioned, uses too much glow stick etc etc

In fact - pretty much groundhog day.

Perhaps if there was anything interesting on Q it might be different. The Groundhog Day is the constant beauty TSV's constant Eek (and this isfrom someone who is partial to a bit of bling).

If I could be bothered I could give the statistics of the same 4 beauty brands, the Dyson cleaners thoughout this past year and there wouldn't be much time left for the "also rans"

Better shows will result in more positive posts.

Is it me or does she look really awful in that mini skirt. She appears to be wearing leggings or tights as well but for goodness sake she hasn't got the best legs in the business and imo they look better covered up.

I think the best dressed presenter is Jackie Tabler

If I like something I say so, if i dislike something I say so, if a presenter looks good I`ll say so and if he or she looks naff then obviously I`ll say so. You get my drift ?
It`s a forum, full of opinions, some positive, some negative and opening a thread is like sticking your hand in a bag of pick n mix because you never know what comes out. It`s who and what we are.
The presenters are on telly, there to be looked at and listened to, it`s what they do and for every negative comment which may be written on here then I`m sure there are many hundreds of QVC followers elsewhere who hero worship the presenters, the products and QVC itself and for whatever reasons. It`s part and parcel of selly telly and I`m pretty darned sure the presenters care as little about our opinions and we do about theirs.

I love the honest reviews on products, I especially love the sneak previews & the alternative stockists tips.

Why do women get criticised so much for their appearance?
Especially from other women :-(
It doesn't happen to men.
Why do women tear other women down :-(
They are more than the sum total of what they look like.

You are generalising here. Yes, certain presenters do get picked up on about how they look, normally (though not exclusively) when they are selling the products and citing the benefits they have experienced...when we have eyes in our heads which tell us that it isn't true. Clearly QVC themselves are wrestling with presenter appearance or they wouldn't have drafted in professionals to do hair and makeup. The presenters are often a poor advert for the fashion, giving the lie to the claims of "smoke and mirrors"... add to that the fact that many of us are fed up with the persistent discourtesy of the iPad-addicted presenters, who currently all happen to be female. What should we do? Not call out the disservice the presenters are doing the viewing potential customer?

Admittedly, the more annoying a presenter becomes, the harder it is to cut them any slack... Most of us still watch fairly regularly and shop with the channel. We are spending our time and our money with QVC, so I think we can be critical of how presenters look and behave in our living rooms... just as we might if they were literally in the room.

None of us is perfect, and many of us face the same weight, skin and hair issues as the QVC ladies..., but we are not in the business of selling items on the basis of what the clothes/jewellery/makeup/skincare/haircare has done for us.

Some presenters do a generally good job of showing the clothes well - to my mind, the list includes Pipa, Ali Keenan, Jackie Kabler and Anne Dawson. The worst are Debbie, Jill Franks and Jilly (though I think she's a relaxing and engaging watch).

The men don't claim to use all the skincare and cosmetics... and don't have to wear the fashion... So, yes, they get a free pass on that. But as QVC specifically targets women, and their chief weapon is their female presenting team it is inevitable the will attract a lot of comment and criticism. They are on telly. They chose to be on telly. They cannot be surprised to receive negative feedback. If they don't want to see it, they don't have to read it..., and let's face it whatever they do, someone won't like it.

I'm all for giving compliments, praise and recognition where its due, but not for no good reason... and not to transform this forum into into yet another echo chamber. I think QVC has quite enough of those already.

I didn't see the mini skirt, but then nor did anyone else by the sound of it. Did she say it was a size 12? I bet Mary Quant would turn in her grave! I thought mini skirts were worn in the 60s, not in THEIR 60s. I bet JR looked more Sexagenarian than sexy!

Last edited:

Yes of course you should judge women on more than their appearance and in real, everyday life that's what we do, but the women we're talking about here are sales people, so they get judged by what they're selling, like a hairdresser gets judges how their hair looks, a chef gets judged by how his food tastes, a nail technician gets judged on how their nails look, infact we judge absolutely everyone who offers us a service and how good that service is. I do find it hard to believe that you've never in your whole entire life said anything negative, about any woman ever, but remember that a negative comment doesn't make you a bad person.

There is praise on this forum, as well as criticism. And to say that this forum has got more negative over the year, well, I'd suggest one of the reasons for that is because the presenters claims and comments have become more and more outrageous over the past year! This may be due to increased pressure on them to sell, sell, sell, but it's the "anything goes to get a sale" attitude I dislike - if presenters make wild claims for everything they flog, and adopt a "do as I tell you, not as I do" attitude, people will take the mickey, it's that simple! We're not stupid, we can see when someone has a blurdy great bulldog clip pulling their blouse back, we can see that a presenter has crammed their bum into a size small when they're plainly a medium (or large), we can hear the same presenter claim that they ONLY USE one particular brand of skin care...and then say exactly the same thing the following hour. If a presenter is badly prepared and lacks knowledge, doesn't give clear, detailed information and looks ungroomed, then comments will ensure - and the presenters are setting themselves up for it. Their choice, heat and kitchen? End of, IMO.

Last month I received 2 plants (unusual, expensive but I know I wouldn't have got them locally). I was very pleased with them. Wanted to check something on website and found lots of bad reviews. I haven't done reviews for a long time after they constantly refused honest ones) but felt it was only fair to say mine were good and therefore I posted a positive review.

I'm not all negative, I'm more than happy to give credit when it's due the big problem is it is now rarely due.

I'm a very positive person and in my real life, I very rarely complain, but with QVC I shopped for the first twenty years and I'm not going to say something is good when it isn't, that's unfair. I use QVC more as a catalogue now to see what's out there, but if anyone asks my opinion what QVC is like, I'll tell them poor/slow delivery, expensive p&p, slow refunds, more expensive than anywhere else, and I got a heck of a lot of used items sent out to me, actually about eight out of every ten was visibly used, when I'd had this experience for twenty years, why would I lie to someone and say it was amazing? that would be mean. The presenters show themselves up, and we can only comment on what we see.

I love this forum .....doesnt take itself seriously and so many laughs !! And as for,the useful info ...wonderful stuff ...yes we have a few moaning sessions and it can get heated etc ...but we are human ..and if it gets too risqué then moderators can sort that ..love it here ...very kind people too ..:mysmilie_12:

I've had people disagree with me in a wee bit of a harsh tone. When it happens I just give it a break for a week or two and then come back with no hard feelings.

I would hate a happy clappy forum, and I know what is one man's meat is another man's poison but at least they are honest opinions giving reasons from people with nothing to gain either way.

Post a question on here and IMMEDIATELY you will be swamped with suggestions - you won't have to wait at least 72 hours before Brianx, Rachelx or whoever even reads it, comes back with a cut and paste answer.

I love this forum .....doesnt take itself seriously and so many laughs !! And as for,the useful info ...wonderful stuff ...yes we have a few moaning sessions and it can get heated etc ...but we are human ..and if it gets too risqué then moderators can sort that ..love it here ...very kind people too ..:mysmilie_12:

Well said May I agree, you've summed it all up. :mysmilie_3: :mysmilie_508:

Latest posts

Back