Julia R

• Thread starter Deleted member 22840
  • Start date
ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Ps ... you’ve done a great job with helping other children going through that hell. Which it is for sure ...🥲
Thank you. There was one boy who hid what was being done to him; he happened to be walking passed my room when I was putting things on the notice board, saw my favourite quote from Eleanor Roosevelt & asked about it. When I told him he put his head on the desk & said he had nothing to live for, those few words unlocked his silence. He was 14. Long story short, the pastoral staff were outstanding but he always asked for me to be in the meetings he had with them & eventually the situation was untangled. He stayed on into sixth form & set up a system of mentors for younger students who were feeling lost.

Probably right.
Recently have noticed that some of CH’s Instagram posts (sometimes have a nose ‘cos of the cat stuff) now state Paid Partnership with QVC.
So being a curious mare had a look on her FB as well, and the same there.
#Ad also used by some of the others on their accounts.
I think this is normal now, the regulations now on social media content mean if you have an association with a brand you have to call it an ad, as I understand it.

Did anyone hear Julia talking on the Nina Leonard show a few minutes ago about being on the front cover of a magazine in 1966 & her school friends bullying her. Then she says “And where are you all now!!!“ pointing at the camera and making a very ugly face. Sorry to disappoint you Julia but you’re just a sales assistant 😂

Attachments

• 73C48C2A-14A2-4F14-976C-A96B978E2228.jpeg
    73C48C2A-14A2-4F14-976C-A96B978E2228.jpeg
    63.8 KB · Views: 196
Many of us are as well off asJR and a great many of us haven’t waited in desperation for 43 years for a proposal.

Not being married is a personal choice and no problem but to mention never having been asked on every jewellery show and then acting like a teenager is desperation.

Then selling it to a magazine is toe curling.

I asked, he didn't want the kind of fuss his mother would have absolutely insisted on so we quietly entered a legal civil partnership instead.

I have no idea what was going through my head asking in the first place after divorcing my first husband. It must have been one of my brain fart moments.

I haven’t disagreed with you. She does come across to me as rather unpleasant and she is very uncomfortable viewing. No one is happy when people are dealing with health issues but they are not an excuse for behaving as Julia Roberts consistently behaves.
Unfortunately, having been diagnosed with MS in 2004 I was managing but recently my condition has now moved into the Secondary Progressive stage. All this has not caused me to become a show off, full of myself or say hurtful things to people. All the things I see her doing.

I'm sorry to hear you have MS, Evie. I have TM that's expected to progress to MS. My symptoms present as MS but I don't have brain lesions (yet). I was diagnosed in the mid-nineties but buried my head in the sand and refused to let my symptoms stop me from doing what I wanted until a decade ago.

Time's marched on and it's finally caught up with me but I'm still not as bad as some of my other neuro friends so consider myself lucky.

I hope your progression slows and your condition doesn't get any worse.

alter thank you so much for your kind words. I know how conditions such as yours and MS impact on our lives but like you I try to remain positive and I live my life with the hope that there is a big breakthrough just around the corner. Every time I come home from a consultation at Queens Square and see so many people of all ages facing their own struggle I feel that I will do all I can to remain positive. They are starting me on a trial using medication which they believe will stop my brain shrinking. That’s a relief!

I have resisted all sorts of help around the house but things are changing. It looks like one of those small lifts will be installed and I’ll confess all now, a few years ago I bought the Atto for trips to the park, shopping centres, days out etc. Like you I have also found EMS helpful for short walks. I look fine when I am sitting down it’s when I walk that I give the game away.
I don’t want to see Debbie Flint playing around in the studio on the Atto. I am sure the inventor or a member of his team would have been happy to have come in.

Let’s keep strong and positive together!

Last edited:
alter thank you so much for your kind words. I know how conditions such as yours and MS impact on our lives but like you I try to remain positive and I live my life with the hope that there is a big breakthrough just around the corner. Every time I come home from a consultation at Queens Square and see so many people of all ages facing their own struggle I feel that I will do all I can to remain positive. They are starting me on a trial using medication which they believe will stop my brain shrinking. That’s a relief!

I have resisted all sorts of help around the house but things are changing. It looks like one of those small lifts will be installed and I’ll confess all now, a few years ago I bought the Atto for trips to the park, shopping centres, days out etc. Like you I have also found EMS helpful for short walks. I look fine when I am sitting down it’s when I walk that I give the game away.
I don’t want to see Debbie Flint playing around in the studio on the Atto. I am sure the inventor or a member of his team would have been happy to have come in.

Is the Atto as good as it seems?

BTW just in case people don't know, if you NEED to buy any disability aids, you don't have to pay any VAT. Even a special cushion if you need to sit down a lot is exempt from VAT, alternatively you can often get them free from social services or the NHS.

Fortunately I am fit and healthy now, but 6 months ago I thought I would need some of these items so I looked into it. I think I had "long Covid" although it wasn't recognised at the time, especially as I've had none of the 3 symptoms of Covid that Boris keeps telling people about.

But finally "long Covid" has become recognised as a medical condition, I had it for well over 6 months, but there is no way of proving that's what I had.

If it hadn't got better, I would have claimed Attendance Allowance, another thing people should be aware of, and not means tested.

Last edited:

I've resited a lot, too. It makes me feel like I'm giving in when really, using my chair, or even hiring a scooter would allow me a lot more freedom.

The stairs and my shower (lazy plumber raised the shower tray instead of drilling pipes under so I now have to use an aerobic step - much cheaper than a standard disabled step - to step up into the damn thing!) are starting to become a bit of a problem. I'm hanging on in there, though. And ensuring that when Mr AE isn't home I don't need anything upstairs before coming down.

Do you cope well with EMS (if you don't mind me asking?) I love mine but I must admit I find the wires a royal PITA in the summer when I get hot and sweaty.

Good luck with your new drug. I've had little luck so far. I react in the opposite way they expect to everything I've been tried on, including good old steroids. I've also recently started having allergic reactions to antibiotics. The allergy department in the nearest hospital refuses to see me as I'm on too many drugs!

I don't sound very positive but I'm normally a glass-half-full person. I'm going to keep my fingers firmly crossed for you.

BTW just in case people don't know, if you NEED to buy any disability aids, you don't have to pay any VAT. Even a special cushion if you need to sit down a lot is exempt from VAT, alternatively you can often get them free from social services or the NHS.

Fortunately I am fit and healthy now, but 6 months ago I thought I would need some of these items so I looked into it. I think I had "long Covid" although it wasn't recognised at the time, especially as I've had none of the 3 symptoms of Covid that Boris keeps telling people about.

But finally "long Covid" has become recognised as a medical condition, I had it for well over 6 months, but there is no way of proving that's what I had.

If it hadn't got better, I would have claimed Attendance Allowance, another thing people should be aware of, and not means tested.

Are you getting any treatment or support from your GP? I know it's considered a 'new' condition but post-viral conditions have long been known.

Make sure your GP knows you're still having problems so you may get treatment if they offer it at a later date.

You kept me going with your jokes last year. I hope you don't get any more problems with it.

I bought it from CareCo not QVC. I don’t even think they were selling it then. My daughter had seen a woman using one and she saw how easily it folded up and went into the boot of the car. She thought it would be perfect for the kind of use I would need it for.
It’s hard to advise others on buying it because it’s quite pricey. It suits me for how I want to use lt. I wouldn’t set off from home to go to the shops for a big shop with it. For that kind of use I think that there are more substantial scooters and more comfortable ones. I believe it now comes with a cushion that I will be buying. I use it to pop round to my daughter’s house which is quite near, going to post a letter, newsagent etc. If I want to go to the park, shopping centres, sightseeing I really like it. We put it in the car, open it up at our destination and it makes getting out and about so easy. These trips would be impossible for me if I didn’t have the Atto. Take it out of the boot, quick assembly and we are off. Charging the battery is easy and it’s easy to store at home.
There are negatives for me. I don’t always feel very safe on slopes and uneven pavements, it rocks a bit and my husband has to grab the handle to steady it! A 4 wheel design would offer more stability. Also it is really only suitable for use in good weather. I wouldn’t use it in the rain.

I would say go to somewhere like CareCo and see their selection and try them out. When I bought mine they had scooters which were more comfortable, opened and folded with a remote control but they did not fold in the compact luggage style of the Atto. Although they were considerably cheaper. They did have a good selection there.

I hope that this has been helpful.

I bought it from CareCo not QVC. I don’t even think they were selling it then. My daughter had seen a woman using one and she saw how easily it folded up and went into the boot of the car. She thought it would be perfect for the kind of use I would need it for.
It’s hard to advise others on buying it because it’s quite pricey. It suits me for how I want to use lt. I wouldn’t set off from home to go to the shops for a big shop with it. For that kind of use I think that there are more substantial scooters and more comfortable ones. I believe it now comes with a cushion that I will be buying. I use it to pop round to my daughter’s house which is quite near, going to post a letter, newsagent etc. If I want to go to the park, shopping centres, sightseeing I really like it. We put it in the car, open it up at our destination and it makes getting out and about so easy. These trips would be impossible for me if I didn’t have the Atto. Take it out of the boot, quick assembly and we are off. Charging the battery is easy and it’s easy to store at home.
There are negatives for me. I don’t always feel very safe on slopes and uneven pavements, it rocks a bit and my husband has to grab the handle to steady it! A 4 wheel design would offer more stability. Also it is really only suitable for use in good weather. I wouldn’t use it in the rain.

I would say go to somewhere like CareCo and see their selection and try them out. When I bought mine they had scooters which were more comfortable, opened and folded with a remote control but they did not fold in the compact luggage style of the Atto. Although they were considerably cheaper. They did have a good selection there.

I hope that this has been helpful.
Thanks, I am well recovered now. My Dr rang me quite frequently, but he didn't think it was long-C, in fact, I don't think he even believed it existed.

Thanks, Evie. Yes, very helpful.

Strato - your GP has egg on his face now. If you haven't had your jab get an antibody test. He won't be able to disbelieve you if any other crappy symptoms show up in future.

I've resited a lot, too. It makes me feel like I'm giving in when really, using my chair, or even hiring a scooter would allow me a lot more freedom.

The stairs and my shower (lazy plumber raised the shower tray instead of drilling pipes under so I now have to use an aerobic step - much cheaper than a standard disabled step - to step up into the damn thing!) are starting to become a bit of a problem. I'm hanging on in there, though. And ensuring that when Mr AE isn't home I don't need anything upstairs before coming down.

Do you cope well with EMS (if you don't mind me asking?) I love mine but I must admit I find the wires a royal PITA in the summer when I get hot and sweaty.

Good luck with your new drug. I've had little luck so far. I react in the opposite way they expect to everything I've been tried on, including good old steroids. I've also recently started having allergic reactions to antibiotics. The allergy department in the nearest hospital refuses to see me as I'm on too many drugs!

I don't sound very positive but I'm normally a glass-half-full person. I'm going to keep my fingers firmly crossed for you.

The scooter has allowed me more freedom and I don’t mind using it. I have even bought a simple folding wheel chair from Argos. I don’t use it much but I like knowing that should I need it we have it in the boot. By the way, my husband drives me around now since I had to stop driving a few years ago.
I have mixed feelings about EMS. No problem with the wires when I am wearing trousers but not such a good look with a dress. I also need to have a belt to attach the control to when wearing a dress. At my next appointment I will discuss upgrading to a wireless version which does away with some of the wires. There is a charge for that I think.
Having moved to the Secondary Progressive stage they are going to take me off my disease modifying dugs, injecting Rebif 3 times a week because it does not help Secondary Progressive MS. I won’t miss that! Hate prednisalone and avoid it but have to take low dose antibiotics everyday, alternating between two types every 3 months.

I do try to stay positive and it’s important and it does make a difference. For obvious reasons I like shopping telly but some of the presenters really spoil it. Just looked up the Atto and there is Craig demonstrating it like it’s a toy and with that silly grin on his face.

Stay positive. There is so much research going on. We’ll get through it. Good luck.

Thanks, I am well recovered now. My Dr rang me quite frequently, but he didn't think it was long-C, in fact, I don't think he even believed it existed.
Glad you’re feeling better strato. Any medic who makes judgements on a new pandemic virus is foolish. What is known now in a short space of time is fantastic but still too soon to judge/dismiss anything. I enter health details every day on a covid app to aid research and they lobby regularly to have new symptoms added to the long list.

“Right now, only people experiencing any of the ‘classic three’ symptoms of cough, fever and loss of smell are eligible for an NHS PCR swab test to confirm COVID-19 infection.

But data from the ZOE app shows that 31% of people who are ill with COVID-19 don’t have any of these three signs in the early stages of the disease.

Our latest findings, which have been published in the Journal of Infection, suggest that only testing people with the three classic symptoms may have led to hundreds of thousands of cases in the UK being missed over the course of the pandemic.

Simply adding fatigue, sore throat, headache and diarrhoea to the classic three symptoms for NHS testing would detect many more cases, helping to stop the spread of the virus and bring the pandemic to an end.‍“

Friends of ours, family of 5, all came down with covid and one member was very ill with the gastric side of the virus who didn’t have the classic top three symptoms.

Why was she horrible to Carla Lasslo?
It's put better in the other Julia thread - the Valentine's one - and I think it's around post number 67.
It was what Julia said when Carla said she'd been cooking.
Given that Carla has recently lost her mother, who Carla was very close to, lived with, and cared for... it was a cutting remark, when a supportive one would have been more appropriate, imo.

I’m sorry to hear you have MS, Evie. It is a cruel disease. My mother had it, and being a stubborn independent woman, she used to terrify us with the things she would do; and kept her independence until as late as possible. She defied the doctors, raged against her treacherous legs, and gave me the best example I could wish for of steely determination in the face of the challenges she faced on a daily basis. You sound cut from the same cloth 💕

Sadly, she’s not the only one with this in my family. My only cousin on my mum’s side has it. One of my dad’s cousins also had it.

We had to complain though about one of the GPs who misdiagnosed mum. He had just written a prescription for Valium, rather than listen to her. Unfortunately that was in the days when women were dismissed as hysterical,and shoving tranquillisers at them was the normal response 🤬

Twilight, thank you for being an avenging angel, and support to your daughter and your pupils who have been targeted by bullies. I loathe bullies, and had the misfortune to be bullies twice. One by fellow pupils and later, and more horribly, by the deputy headmaster of my primary school. Fortunately, not only was I wholeheartedly supported by my parents and my gran, but my gran effectively replaced the school when I couldn’t face going in. She taught me a damn-sight better than the school did. I only saw this hateful man one time after I left that school, and enjoyed blanking him as he tried to smarm up to me and my dad. My dad blanked him too, and it gave me pleasure if it embarrassed him in front of his companions. It helped me to close the book on that part of my life. I am so sorry, May, that you had a traumatic reaction to encountering one of your bullies, but it’s totally understandable.

LIAM, I’m using the Zoe app too, and taking part in another survey being run by Imperial Healthcare Trust as well. In a situation where it’s easy to feel helpless, this helps me to feel I’m doing something which can help us see the back of this beastly virus.

I’m sorry to hear you have MS, Evie. It is a cruel disease. My mother had it, and being a stubborn independent woman, she used to terrify us with the things she would do; and kept her independence until as late as possible. She defied the doctors, raged against her treacherous legs, and gave me the best example I could wish for of steely determination in the face of the challenges she faced on a daily basis. You sound cut from the same cloth 💕

Sadly, she’s not the only one with this in my family. My only cousin on my mum’s side has it. One of my dad’s cousins also had it.

We had to complain though about one of the GPs who misdiagnosed mum. He had just written a prescription for Valium, rather than listen to her. Unfortunately that was in the days when women were dismissed as hysterical,and shoving tranquillisers at them was the normal response 🤬

Twilight, thank you for being an avenging angel, and support to your daughter and your pupils who have been targeted by bullies. I loathe bullies, and had the misfortune to be bullies twice. One by fellow pupils and later, and more horribly, by the deputy headmaster of my primary school. Fortunately, not only was I wholeheartedly supported by my parents and my gran, but my gran effectively replaced the school when I couldn’t face going in. She taught me a damn-sight better than the school did. I only saw this hateful man one time after I left that school, and enjoyed blanking him as he tried to smarm up to me and my dad. My dad blanked him too, and it gave me pleasure if it embarrassed him in front of his companions. It helped me to close the book on that part of my life. I am so sorry, May, that you had a traumatic reaction to encountering one of your bullies, but it’s totally understandable.

LIAM, I’m using the Zoe app too, and taking part in another survey being run by Imperial Healthcare Trust as well. In a situation where it’s easy to feel helpless, this helps me to feel I’m doing something which can help us see the back of this beastly virus.
Well done you & your family ❤️ That man should have been sacked. Many years ago I started a quotes book, this is one of my favourites & after my daughter's experience I had this one made into a sign for her:
'I don't care what you think about me. I don't think about you at all.'
Coco Chanel

Strato, I can sympathise. At the beginning of the pandemic I had to visit the hospital and was close to people with horrible hacking coughs. 5 days later both Mr C and I came down with a cough, fever, tiredness, etc and I lost my sense of smell, though he didn't. There were no tests then so who knows what I had but I think the smell issue is the giveaway. I stayed in bed 2 days then recovered. A few months later out of the blue I had a cough (while we were in isolation so hadn't picked it up from anyone else) and extreme exhaustion. It lasted ten days then thankfully disappeared. Long covid? who knows? The doctor didn't take any notice of my symptoms, either, so your situation isn't unique, sadly. I've now had the Oxford jab which I reacted badly to but, hey, I've had it so bring on the next one. And I'm now fit and well.

PS - we changed to this practice from another one, much, much worse. And what are these GPs doing exactly?

Strato, I can sympathise. At the beginning of the pandemic I had to visit the hospital and was close to people with horrible hacking coughs. 5 days later both Mr C and I came down with a cough, fever, tiredness, etc and I lost my sense of smell, though he didn't. There were no tests then so who knows what I had but I think the smell issue is the giveaway. I stayed in bed 2 days then recovered. A few months later out of the blue I had a cough (while we were in isolation so hadn't picked it up from anyone else) and extreme exhaustion. It lasted ten days then thankfully disappeared. Long covid? who knows? The doctor didn't take any notice of my symptoms, either, so your situation isn't unique, sadly. I've now had the Oxford jab which I reacted badly to but, hey, I've had it so bring on the next one. And I'm now fit and well.

PS - we changed to this practice from another one, much, much worse. And what are these GPs doing exactly?
I'm so pleased that you came through both times. The answer to your last question is diddly squat, there must be a few who are giving the service we pay them for but our practice has tumbleweed blowing around the waiting rooms... I know someone whose cervical screening test should have happened last spring, when things improved she phoned & asked when it would happen. It was a GP who took the call & he offered her a phone consultation that afternoon; she's not a shy girl & pointed out that her phone was fairly advanced but not THAT advanced but if she could do an appropriate photo would that be enough.

Mum claimed Attendance Allowance and it made the world of difference to her daily life. It also resulted in her receiving pension credits (obviously she was receiving her state pension). It meant she could afford home visits by a hairdresser & chiropodist, good quality ready-meals (Marks & Spencer instead of Iceland) and a cleaner once a week.

If it is any comfort, the information coming back so far seems to indicate that if you have had covid, you will be more reactive to the vaccine... also that the second dose is likely to make you feel worse than the second. Both cases because your immune system is "primed" to react.
I am sure there are thousands upon thousands who had covid back at the beginning of the pandemic, and maybe before it became an official pandemic. But because they didn't have the resources for testing, we will never know now if it's true or not.

If it is any comfort, the information coming back so far seems to indicate that if you have had covid, you will be more reactive to the vaccine... also that the second dose is likely to make you feel worse than the second. Both cases because your immune system is "primed" to react.
I am sure there are thousands upon thousands who had covid back at the beginning of the pandemic, and maybe before it became an official pandemic. But because they didn't have the resources for testing, we will never know now if it's true or not.
We now know that Covid mutates to become more infectious.

I suspect that all the anecdotal evidence of people having severe chest infections way before the first lock down like Strato and Crystal had Covid before it mutated to become so infectious it caused the pandemic.

Latest posts

Back