Joan Rivers

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

This is just tragic, feel really sad. For once, Katie Hopkins was right when she tweeted earlier this week:

Come on Joan. We need you on this planet to balance out the sugar coated nonsense.

What's all of this but sugar coated nonsense!

I found Joan Rivers very funny at times, I am sad for her family but I didn't know her and find all of this stuff quite nauseating frankly.

I found Joan Rivers very funny at times, I am sad for her family but I didn't know her and find all of this stuff quite nauseating frankly.

Can we not have another Joan Rivers thread closed please!

People are posting to pay there respects to Joan and her family.

I was sorry to read that you find all this stuff quite nauseating.

I wondered how long it would be till someone spoilt a nice thread.
Lynn

I was sad to hear of Joan's passing...tbh, it didn't sound good but I was rooting for her to pull through. I really liked her despite sometimes cringing about what she would come out with, but I really admired her strength and no nonsense approach.The fact that she was still working and entertaining at 81 was amazing. Feel sad for her family, but they should be comforted in that she was a well respected comedienne with many strings to her bow.

Laughing with tears rolling down my face looking at that youtube clip with Joan and Whatters RIP to them both. QVC was much more fun back then that's for sure.

This is, I feel, a necessary thread, to allow those who so desire, to pay their respects to such a uniquely talented lady. But this is an open forum, which affords us all the luxury, of sharing our varied and diverse opinions which is, ultimately, a positive thing. The one negative aspect of Joan's character, imo, is that she was an advocate of wearing fur, I believe. She wore Dennis Basso. Whilst I find this abhorrent, and am not a hypocrite, we need to be mindful that she was a mother and grandmother, first and foremost, and her family will undoubtedly be enduring a devastating ordeal, and I wouldn't wish this on anyone. Joan never allowed herself to be silenced by the PC brigade, and I admire that. I still recall her having to apologise on Loose Women, and QVC. But, hey, they knew what they were getting when they invited Joan on their shows. She never pretended to be anything other than what and who she was and that is an excellent quality to have. It was a case of, if you like me, great, if you don't s**ew you. I hope she is given the send off she so desired.

Joan was also someone who would have said "hey WTF you dont even know me"to those with OTT gushings of faux grief.

My grandmother wore fur too. I still mourned her death!

A respectful RIP is fine.

A number of posts have been removed from this thread. One thread about Joan Rivers has already had to be closed, lets not have another go the same way!

I loved what Katy Perry said ..." What the point of wearing all these dumb costumes if Joan isn't there to rip them apart !" Lol

I don't know if anyone caught it, but on Jeremy Vine's Radio 2 show this week (think it was Friday) he played the infamous outburst she had at Darcus Howe on Radio 4's programme 'Midweek' back in 2005. My god, she was one feisty lady - possibly the first time that 'son of a bitch' was said, unscripted, on the hallowed airwaves of Radio 4. Here's a BBC link to it:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4364674.stm

Never saw any of the deleted posts but my post above should have said "for those who didn't like Joan a simple RIP is fine". I don't think this thread is appropriate to speak ill of the dead. There were times when she made me laugh out loud though. :)

I think the news of Joan's death is so sad, as I've followed her over the many years. One of the things that is really bothering me (unless I missed it) is that QVC UK have to my knowledge made no announcement, or tribute to Joan - who you know of the various items she sold on QVC made them a lot of money, Stateside too.

As has been said before on this thread, Joan was unique, she was not silenced by the PC brigade, more power to you Joan - and she was funny, in my opinion, even when she was controversial. A fantastic dresser, voted many times as the best dressed woman in American, and when not high up on that list - nonetheless, she was still on it. I used to look forward to watching her on QVC so much, noted we've not seen her for a while though.

So, tonight I went to the QVC USA website - sure enough there is 'Joan you will be missed' right there and to the right of her picture QVC US have left a video compilation. Under the video there is this message '' Please enjoy this tribute video of our dear friend, and read a message from our President and CEO, Mike George.''

No such acknowledgement of Joan's death has been made by QVC here and I think it's disgusting. This is not the first time someone has died or, in the case of Tova who's famous husband died, did they give mention. you know I am slowly going right off QVC.

Joan was a class act at times when female comedians were lucky to get any air time at all - she'll be missed by many.

Last edited:
See Autumn's post on the first page where she copied the announcements on QVC US & UK. I think Ernest Borgnine's death was acknowledged on the Tova shows when she first came back after losing him, but it was understated. Maybe Tova didn't want a gushy out-pouring. I know I could hold my composure until people were particularly nice to me while I was grieving.

Latest posts

Back