Jill Franks' Bulldog Stolen/Lost

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I wouldn't & couldn't be without my dogs.
There's only been one spell in all my life when I've been without any, the first three years when we were married, & it felt like I was minus a limb.

The Anglia REgion Inside OUt featured dog napping recently, and featured a dog that ran off in woods after gun shots been heard. A guy found him was just about to ring to no on collar, when another guy came up, claiming to be owner.
Dog was eventually found and returned with the help of a pet detective.

See that's where a tag would be invaluable. The chap who first found him could have asked the second one to tell him what was on the tag before handing him over, to check he really was the owner.

The Anglia REgion Inside OUt featured dog napping recently, and featured a dog that ran off in woods after gun shots been heard. A guy found him was just about to ring to no on collar, when another guy came up, claiming to be owner.
Dog was eventually found and returned with the help of a pet detective.

A pet detective - great idea.

See that's where a tag would be invaluable. The chap who first found him could have asked the second one to tell him what was on the tag before handing him over, to check he really was the owner.

Lovely scruncher looks a big lad so doubt a collar would fit well on him but yes, totally agree a collar and tag is the best thing besides the microchip when outside. I put my dog's collar back on for him to go in the garden (just in case he finds a way out through the fence).

I wouldn't & couldn't be without my dogs.
There's only been one spell in all my life when I've been without any, the first three years when we were married, & it felt like I was minus a limb.

What is so important about them? Please don't take offence to my asking. I'm not being rude but I just don't quite understand how some people are so into their cats / dogs . snakes / whatever. I love animals, especially squirrels, because I think they are amusing, agile and graceful. I quite like tortoises because of their shells / slowness calmness, but I wouldn't go so far as to say I couldn't live without them.
I think some animals are better than some humans, but I do sometimes marvel at how some people bequeath large amounts to "Cats' Protection League" etc. Why do cats need protecting? What about all the elderly people who are ill and can't heat their homes? Aren't they more deserving of support? Or starving, sick children? I just think that most humans are higher up the pecking order. This shouldn't give us right to be cruel to or mistreat animals, but if I had a choice between saving children or cats, I would allow all the cats to die. Having said that, if it were a choice of Dennis Basso or all the cats, I would find that a harder decision to make.

Julius, pets become part of your family, without wishing to offend, I do find your expressing your lack of empathy for pet lovers on this thread rather offensive. It took me about 3 years to get over the loss of my Siamese cats Oscar and Felix who I was lucky enough to look after for nearly 18 years. Our pets, our money, our choice.

Julius, pets become part of your family, without wishing to offend, I do find your expressing your lack of empathy for pet lovers on this thread rather offensive. It took me about 3 years to get over the loss of my Siamese cats Oscar and Felix who I was lucky enough to look after for nearly 18 years. Our pets, our money, our choice.

I didn't mean to upset anyone. I am sorry to hear about the loss of your cats. I would like to have a pet but I am not at home enough. I do leave Waitrose almonds out on the window ledge for a squirrel that comes round.

To some people, their pets are their babies.

Pets give so much unconditional love, will be there through good times and bad. They feel your pain, share your joy. They rarely moan or complain, unless they are sick, when they look into your eyes and seem to say "please make me better Mummy"

Which the animal lover always does, forsaking themselves.

Of course, the down side is the times of loss, whether it be through death or just missing, in some ways its worse than losing a human, because they are usually so dependant on their owner

I dread the day I lose my babies, but I will remind myself how happy they were when they took me on! :)

Last edited:
It's hard, for me at least, to explain what's so special about pets and makes one love them so deeply. I don't have children so obviously don't know what it's like, but I imagine it's a similar or at least vaguely comparable relationship. I've no desire for children so my two cats are my equivalent to them I guess, and I feel very protective towards them. I care more about them than myself really. Their personalities are so distinct and charming, I love watching their various behaviours. The popular perception of cats as aloof and uninterested is nonsense, they're very affectionate and sweet, both to each other and to me. They're also really funny and incredibly entertaining; I could watch their antics all day. My eldest cat has epilepsy, it's relatively mild though thankfully. Still horrific to see him suffer a fit, incredibly distressing. He doesn't understand what's happening and is very confused and upset when he comes round, it's heartbreaking. You just wish it could happen to you instead, at least a human can understand conditions like that and not be scared. They're such beautiful, innocent creatures, you just want to protect them so much.

I am one of those people who will be leaving large amounts to animal charities when I am no longer around. I am already a monthly contributor to the Retired Greyhound Trust.

I have no children, and my nieces /nephews I see once in a blue moon - but they will inherit their own parents properties, and I won't be adding to their pot. Yes there are thousands of deserving charities from medical research, children, elderly, mental health, you name it, there is a charity or deserving cause that needs funding.

From my own point of view, medical research into whatever illness, should be funded by the massive profits made by pharmaceutical companies, governments should be wholely responsible for the welfare of children and the elderly, and yes local and national fund raising for various other charities is the only way these charities can operate.

Animals - my cats and dogs, have given me so much pleasure throughout my life and ask for so little in return, that I have no qualms at all at funding these establishments /charities to keep safe, warm and well, the donkeys, cats and dogs that no of no other home, because they do not receive any help from any other source.

We hear constantly of care home workers being charged with abusing the elderly in care homes, and sadly we hear of children being abused all the time. But how many times do we hear of those working in animal rescue and re-homing centres being charged with cruelty and ill treatment to those in their care ? Hardly ever.

Jill is doing very well getting through her work hours on air.
I think keeping occupied helps, taking her mind off her situ. I think she suits her darker hair shade very well, hope her weight doesn't plummet though, which sometimes can via stress/upset

Good luck Jill. I hope its resolved very soon

I love my incredibly naughty and often grumpy 9 year old cat, who I have had since he was a kitten. It can't be easy for him living with 2 young children but he puts up with us and he is always well cared for. However when my children came along there was no comparison. When my cat temporarily went to stay with a friend when I moved house, I cried a lot because I missed him. I would be upset and very worried if he went missing. But in comparison, my children are off the scale. If they are ill or upset the worry and concern is a hundred times worse. If someone kidnapped my children It would be like someone had ripped out my insides and I would have to be sedated I would be so unable to function.

Hi Eric's Mum :wave:, I had a big ginger & white boy called Eric til about 17 years ago, still miss him!

@ Brissles - I hope you have made some provision with power of attorney with family or much younger friends. I have no children and will be in a similar position and have given power of attorney to a step nephew who is lovely and also his dad who is sensible. I watched an aunt by marriage go downhill in her home whilst refusing all help. Eventually social services had to take over her finances, sell her valuable house and put her in a home. She was completely nuts and unreasonable by then and suspicious of anyone trying to help. She died just before Christmas having now been moved to a home near her great nephew (who asked social services to move her so he could visit) as the nephew was living abroad.
Might be a good idea to cozy up to the nieces and nephews if you can. My own blood nieces and nephews are still too young to take on any responsibility for me at the moment but I think they may never be the right people as they are being brought up with no understanding of finances in a family on benefits.

Thanks ILS - all things pertaining to my finances I, hopefully, have them tied down with a screwdriver ! although my nieces/nephews in the main have a good word ethic, they still seem grossly immature (to my mind anyway) at the age of 30 ! - due to their parents wanting to do EVERYTHING for them since they could walk !!! so for the present my solicitor has P of A. That being said - apart from the charity bequests, it would be nice to 'go out' having spent every last penny !!!!

I love my incredibly naughty and often grumpy 9 year old cat, who I have had since he was a kitten. It can't be easy for him living with 2 young children but he puts up with us and he is always well cared for. However when my children came along there was no comparison. When my cat temporarily went to stay with a friend when I moved house, I cried a lot because I missed him. I would be upset and very worried if he went missing. But in comparison, my children are off the scale. If they are ill or upset the worry and concern is a hundred times worse. If someone kidnapped my children It would be like someone had ripped out my insides and I would have to be sedated I would be so unable to function.

Of course there is no comparison, you are a Mum and have given birth - so you would not be natural if you thought otherwise about your children. I just comment on those of us who, for whatever reason, do not have children, but still have that all consuming, overwhelming love for a heartbeat that's wrapped in fur and just happens to have 4 legs instead of 2.

Latest posts

Back