Is QVCs technology department up to scratch?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

ringtree

Registered Shopper
QVC recently launched the Prestigio tablet as a tsv, with the usual fanfare. When you look at the reviews, people are having all sorts of issues with it, from charging it to basic instructions that aren't up to scratch. Customers are paying for the tmti service I think, when I think just the basic customer care has not been enough. Do you think they should have done more research on it before launching it? So irresponsible I think, and thinking about short-term gain (sales figures) rather than long-term customer loyalty and satisfied, happy customers. I know there are only 13 reviews so far,but this could be the tip of the iceberg. I do wish you could rely on the technology department to bring reliable products to invest in.

To be honest i always Google the products they sell and read what people are saying - a little research saves a lot of wasted money and hassle IMHO.

I'm afraid that Apple don't occupy 70% of the tablet market for no reason. A tablet should just work out of the box. iPads don't come with a instruction manual because they don't need them. Everything works and the iPad is very user friendly. I was very sceptical about this so called Prestigio tablet when launched by QVC. It seems my suspicions that it's a pile of crap have been borne out. You definitely get what you pay for.

Sent from my new Apple iPad 32GB WiFi White using Tapatalk

I've tried the famous fruitpad in many stores, and get "stuck" within minutes trying to do anything, I couldn't even find the X (back) button to get back to where I started from.

So it is NOT intuitive IMO.

An Android tablet needs to be a decent make. These made-up brands are useless. You get what you pay for in my opinion.

From mobile, please excuse any silly errors!! :)

I've tried the famous fruitpad in many stores, and get "stuck" within minutes trying to do anything, I couldn't even find the X (back) button to get back to where I started from.

So it is NOT intuitive IMO.

That's what the home button does, effectively a back up button :)

PJ.

Sent from my Nokia 3210 using Snake.

Actually, I only discovered this button a few days ago when I asked an assistant how to go back to the previous screen.

I'd never noticed it before, it is small and inconspicious and was the last thing I expected to see on a touch-screen tablet, I expected an X and/or a < button on the screen itself, as on my Archos touch-screen 160GB tablet of at least 5 years ago, before the fruitpad was even invented.

But that's what I mean about not being intuitive. It may be more intuitive now that I know about that button, but it has taken at least a year of playing on the fruitpad in stores and walking out in frustration before I found out about it last week.

Last edited:
i don't agree products don't need manuals. everything's easy when you know how.

my 2 year old grandaughter knows how to use the i-pod and i-pad and people are shocked at how easy it is to use

Actually, I only discovered this button a few days ago when I asked an assistant how to go back to the previous screen.

I'd never noticed it before, it is small and inconspicious and was the last thing I expected to see on a touch-screen tablet, I expected an X and/or a < button on the screen itself, as on my Archos touch-screen 160GB tablet of at least 5 years ago, before the fruitpad was even invented.

But that's what I mean about not being intuitive. It may be more intuitive now that I know about that button, but it has taken at least a year of playing on the fruitpad in stores and walking out in frustration before I found out about it last week.

Of you can place your hand on the iPad with your fingers spread out and draw them together to the middle. That closes an app down too :)

PJ.

Sent from my Nokia 3210 using Snake.

This is what I mean about NOT being intuitive.

It is ridiculously easy AFTER someone has told you these snippets of information, but I don't think anyone would suss this out by intuition if they'd never come across anything like this before.

The same applies to zooming, it's easy AFTER you have been shown how to do it, but not before.

I expect all this seems trivial to the long-term fruitpad users, but if you gave it to a passing grandma in the street would they know what to do by intuition?

Surely the button slap in the middle, at the bottom of the iPad might intrigue a new user enough to press it and see what happens? With all the Apple adverts for the iPad beaming into our living rooms via the telly, I really can't see how anyone could fail to work out how an iPad functions. Failing that there are plenty of tutorials on the Apple website and on YouTube. A complete iPad virgin could even attend free "introduction to iPad" workshops offered in Apple Stores. But honestly, if a 2 year old can figure it out, anyone can. It's very user friendly.

As people keep telling me, I need to go to specsavers, but I hadn't seen that button because I expected it to be all touchscreen based like my Archos 160GB pad (thats right, 160GB, not 8GB as on the fruitpad, and it's at least 5 years old, probably more).

It was far more intuitive than the fruitpad, and I can also record anything directly off the TV as well. It even has built-in STEREO speakers.

As people keep telling me, I need to go to specsavers, but I hadn't seen that button because I expected it to be all touchscreen based like my Archos 160GB pad (thats right, 160GB, not 8GB as on the fruitpad, and it's at least 5 years old, probably more).

It was far more intuitive than the fruitpad, and I can also record anything directly off the TV as well. It even has built-in STEREO speakers.

There isn't a 8GB iPad. It starts at 16GB. I have a 32GB and find it plenty tbh. There is even a 64GB iPad too, but I only believe in buying what I need and 32GB suits me fine.

This is what I mean about NOT being intuitive.

It is ridiculously easy AFTER someone has told you these snippets of information, but I don't think anyone would suss this out by intuition if they'd never come across anything like this before.

The same applies to zooming, it's easy AFTER you have been shown how to do it, but not before.

I expect all this seems trivial to the long-term fruitpad users, but if you gave it to a passing grandma in the street would they know what to do by intuition?

I agree, I only found out have the things by reading tech forums, it wasn't all laid out so I could work it out. For example if you double tap the hope button then you press on one of the app icons that appear at the bottom,a no entry sign should appear on each icon. Press on the no entry sign on each icon and that will stop it running in the background and saves battery power :)

PJ.

I am not criticising the ipad, I know their users love them (literally love them)!

I just think that they are not as easy to use as people say, otherwise there would not be books and courses on how to use them.

I am into gadgets, but have so far not seen the need to get one. I even bought one of the first tablets available, probably at least 20 years ago. It was an Amstrad! It had a black and white text screen only, but it was a touch screen and you could write on it and it would translate the handwriting into editable print.

I still have it, as I never throw gadgets away, I could open a museum.

Alan Sugar recently mentioned this pad himself, and regretted not pursuing the idea further.

I agree, I only found out have the things by reading tech forums, it wasn't all laid out so I could work it out. For example if you double tap the hope button then you press on one of the app icons that appear at the bottom,a no entry sign should appear on each icon. Press on the no entry sign on each icon and that will stop it running in the background and saves battery power :)

PJ.
Thanks for that reminder I had forgotten and wondered why the battery ran out so quickly.

The answer to your question Stratobuddy is yes I found the iPad so easy to use it is fantastic. I also had no problem with a Samsung tablet I had and I am a Great Grandma lol.

I too :heart: :heart: :heart: my IPad. I think it's my BEST purchase EVER !!! Since buying it I very rarely put the laptop on. ( I did put laptop on to e mail qvc today but it has the awful new website on and e mail wouldn't send) Sent straight away from the IPad. The staff in the Apple shop were excellent! I'm not good with technology. Ask my son. He was fed up with me having problems with the laptop. I'm not having to keep bothering him now. Infact he was that impressed with my IPad that we had to go back a week later so he could get one. He'd had no interest in one prior to using mine. We don't live anywhere near an Apple store.

Latest posts

Back