Is nothing mains powered anymore ????

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Brissles

Registered Shopper
As QVC are in home lighting mode - TSV and soon it will be xmas lights / party garden lights, we're bombarded by them all being battery driven !

All very well, but I've found in the past that at best the batteries last around 2 weeks on the 6 hour 'timer', so they're an expensive luxury. and if you have them dotted around the home, aka xmas lighting, you're forever forking out and changing the batteries ! Which begs the question, how often will the batteries need replacing on the tsv, with all the faffing about with getting it off the wall ?

Handy though they are for being 'moveable', you cant beat mains powered lighting for brightness and no faff.

I bought some battery powered multi coloured LED xmas fairy lights a few years ago. Star shapes; initially I was very pleased with them. After a couple of hours (hours!!) two of the 4 colours faded and stopped lighting up. I thought they were faulty, but my DH tells me that some colours of LED use more power than others, so they stopped working as the batteries started to drain.
Useless!

And another thing, QVC (and manufacturers) shouldn't assume that everyone has a smart phone. Many of the DIY products/electrical goods are geared to being used only if you own a smart phone. Yes I appreciate that most of the planet are joined at the hip to their gadget, but there's more than me that takes a more sane approach to their phone.

And another thing, QVC (and manufacturers) shouldn't assume that everyone has a smart phone. Many of the DIY products/electrical goods are geared to being used only if you own a smart phone. Yes I appreciate that most of the planet are joined at the hip to their gadget, but there's more than me that takes a more sane approach to their phone.

Me too Brissles, my hubby worked for over 30 years in the computer industry and he will not use a phone or tablet to put bank or credit cards on and would never ever do online banking on anything other than our computer . He won't even do online banking on the laptop.

On the other hand..... I have so many flipping multi plugs in this flat as I am so short of wall sockets! Sometimes battery can be a blessing. Although not, IMHO, for appliances like vacuum cleaners.

I have a smart phone but it certainly isn't smart enough to operate a domestic product! Thank goodness. Long may it stay that way. Is that like the adverts where people dial home and set their heating or switch on the water? FFS. How on earth did we ever manage!

I saw in the paper the other day that dumbphones are making a bit of a comeback!!!!!!! That would snooker the Lees of this world who seem to require Alexa and a multitude of apps, or whatever else, to live.

Depends what it is for me. If it's an outdoor security light then having it wired would definitely be first choice, solar as a poor second. Definitely not battery. They had a security light on recently that was battery operated and it looked like you had to change the batteries 2/3 times a year!

For general outdoor lighting solar is OK, prefer a lower light level if just sitting around enjoying a drink but again batteries would be a no as they are just too expensive and I can't be bothered with the faff of rechargeable ones.

I think I have about 100 wall warts (chargers or power supplies) for all my gadgets, many superseded and no longer in use but carefully kept and labelled in case I resurrect them.

I can find these old ones easily as they are in one place, but I can never find the ones which are in current use, for example, I've been looking for 2 weeks for the charger of my hand-held vac, I had to borrow one eventually.

But despite all my gadgets, I do NOT have a smartphone, only an ancient Nokia.

I agree! I haven't the faintest idea what a smsrt phone/tv mean, I have never been interested enough to find out.I can't stand Lee Holbein so I never watch the techy shows.When I get stuck on something my granddaughter can usually put me right.

Some battery operated things are ok.If you are intending to use something over a long period of time I think mains is always superior. Changing batteries every few hours in some cases is ridiculous and costly .Charging rechargable gadgets uses electricity anyway although some rechargeable gadgets are useful for portability.Solar powered items for outdoors are good when it doesn't matter if the gadget works inconsistently.For children battery operated lights at bedtime are a lot safer as it stops the worry of them 'messing 'with mains if they are that kind of child.As to phones.I love the camera and applications available on my phone but it is just that and it stays on the table when not being used.I would never use it to bank,shop or control my equipment.As to paying for stuff in a shop .....no way.

Last edited:
On the other hand..... I have so many flipping multi plugs in this flat as I am so short of wall sockets! Sometimes battery can be a blessing. Although not, IMHO, for appliances like vacuum cleaners.

I have a smart phone but it certainly isn't smart enough to operate a domestic product! Thank goodness. Long may it stay that way. Is that like the adverts where people dial home and set their heating or switch on the water? FFS. How on earth did we ever manage!

I saw in the paper the other day that dumbphones are making a bit of a comeback!!!!!!! That would snooker the Lees of this world who seem to require Alexa and a multitude of apps, or whatever else, to live.

I sometimes feel I'm so far behind with fashion and technology that I end up being ahead of the game !! For instance, I've never bought milk in cartons - always had milk bottle delivery, and now milk deliveries are on the up ! and my mobile has always been 'dumb' with no camera, which are now proving popular to 'wean' addicts off their more smarter phones (how have we come to this ???), and with all the hacking of info and I.D's I don't do banking other than face to face at the bank, and I'm not on soshul meedja. I always chuckle that if I committed a crime (not that I ever would), but it wouldn't be so easy to find me !

When we had the 'Beast from the East' a lady came to my counter and wanted to pay using her watch.

She took off her gloves, removed her coat, pulled up the sleeve of her jumper, unbuttoned the cuff of her shirt and pulled that up too.

She finally presented her watch to the card reader...and payment was refused :mysmilie_19:

All that for a £1.00 packet of pencils

I've just bought a battery-powered bike as I found a 10 mile long mains lead was too inconvenient.

It is being charged up at his very moment.

Latest posts

Back