In the Salon with SBC - TSV 27/09/12

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

"Apply propolis all over your body before you go out in the winter" says the guest.

Th reason for doing so wasn't explained. I'd like to know the reason, plus even the teensiest smidgeon of hard evidence to back it up.

Oh.... The ingredients:
Aqua
Alcohol Denat
Glycerin
Cocamidopropyl Betaine
Propolis Wax
Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl acrylate crosspolymer
Triethanolamine
Polysorbate-20
Styrene/PVP Copolymer
Parfum
C.I. 15985
C.I. 19140
C.I. 14700
C.I. 17200
C.I. 42090
Benzyl Alcohol
Methylchloroisothiazolinone
Methylisothiazolinone
Benzyl Benzoate
Hydroxy Citronellal
Coumarin
Alpha-Isomethyl ionone

There's a hell of a lot of stuff in that list which hasn't been squidged out of a bees bumhole.

There is no reason and no evidence. This is QVC!!! We're not allowed to think logically or scientifically ;)

From mobile, please excuse any silly errors!! :)

As well as my earlier post re the wonders of propolis and arnica, I agree with Artemis and Breeze too. Just been to Venice and was bitten by some mozzies (fortunately not too many) and used the propolis on them and it has been brill. I use it on my eczema and have had success with that too. The arnica is great to release muscle ache - I have back pain from breast cancer tumours in my spine that press on nerves and then affect the muscles. Plastering arnica on helps a lot and I use it with the knowledge and approval of my consultant.

Thanks for that Liz. I was wondering if the Arnica was ok to use for muscle aches from BC tablets. Gets so bad in one leg can hardly walk some mornings. Will defo get it now. Cant get this in Malaysia but home just now so will order. Propolis will be good for hubbys mossie bites and my sweat rash where they took out the lymph nodes.

I use Arnica on bruises and it does ease the pain, my son says its one of those placebo things, because I expect it to work, but it does for me,Ive also had the shower gel evening primrose I think it was,and that was so good and lasted ages, I'm not sure what that was supposed to do, but it was lovely to use.

Just want to add after reading all the reasons people use these gels for, can I send a big hug to all of you, and wish you all well.xx

I use Arnica on bruises and it does ease the pain, my son says its one of those placebo things, because I expect it to work, but it does for me,Ive also had the shower gel evening primrose I think it was,and that was so good and lasted ages, I'm not sure what that was supposed to do, but it was lovely to use.

Just want to add after reading all the reasons people use these gels for, can I send a big hug to all of you, and wish you all well.xx

If something works for you that's all that matters :D The placebo effect is very underrated. What worries me is that they have no evidence or scientific fact to prove how it works.

I have the evening primrose shower gel too and I love it! I bought it because I wanted a large, pump dispenser container and it seemed quite moisturising. I have no idea what it is meant to do to me other than clean me - which is why I wanted it!! The smell is absolutely beautiful, even better than my Elemis frangipani shower cream, and that takes some beating!

From mobile, please excuse any silly errors!! :)

4 years ago, in desperation, I bought the propolis and aloe vera gel for my then 17 year old son. His skin was very bad with acne and we tried so many creams and lotions and skin washes. Nothing worked and he got very depressed about it. After a few months of using the two gels mixed together morning and night, the difference was staggering. His skin is now clear with only an occasional breakout. It did not work overnight, but it did work. SBC gets a real bashing on here, but i can only speak as I find and it worked wonders for my lad.

I use the Lavender and Waterlily shower gel. I think its the best shower gel I have used, including L'Occitane. (sp)

I SO wanted to like this brand because I like the concept of keeping the price down by saving on packaging. I am no chemist but isn't alcohol a key ingredient when you want to create a gel texture? For me, I ended up flogging my set on ebay ( splitting up the set and making a profit as a result- but keeping the items that had been tried) the reason I didn't keep mine was because the alcohol was too drying and left a sticky, tacky feel to my skin that I personally did not like. The propolis gel has a lovely sweet (almost sickly) smell. I expected more results- even tried it to see if my c section scar faded a bit. Quelle surprise- It didn't work over the month I used it for, and I wasn't expecting a miracle or anything- just a small result. Furthermore I applied it to my neck and had an allergic reaction ( the skin on my neck is more sensitive than the skin on my face). I binned it, but thanked Q anyway because selling the rest of the kit still got me more than I paid for the entire kit.

Never tried Arnica, and after the Propolis, have no desire to try it. Collagen gel is just pointless for me and I don't know why I would need lavender or the evening primrose one.

I am sure those people who say it worked for them are telling the truth, but not for me. My advice is don't waste your money.

4 years ago, in desperation, I bought the propolis and aloe vera gel for my then 17 year old son. His skin was very bad with acne and we tried so many creams and lotions and skin washes. Nothing worked and he got very depressed about it. After a few months of using the two gels mixed together morning and night, the difference was staggering. His skin is now clear with only an occasional breakout. It did not work overnight, but it did work. SBC gets a real bashing on here, but i can only speak as I find and it worked wonders for my lad.

I use the Lavender and Waterlily shower gel. I think its the best shower gel I have used, including L'Occitane. (sp)

I've had exactly the same results with my teenage boys Itchy. My 17 year old had severe acne and had oral antibiotics for a year. I didn't want him to take antibiotics any more so in desperation I got propolis and Australian Bodycare. I didn't hold out much hope but the two products have worked miracles. My 14 year old also uses them. Whenever my boys stop using the propolis the spots come back so I have no doubt it works. I also have arnica but I am the only one in the family who thinks it works, my boys don't think it has any effect on football injuries and hubby has been using it on his dodgy knee but isn't convinced it makes any difference.

I also love the shower gels and the body butters are very nourishing.

I think the range has a few little gems. The propolis for shaving rash, Aloe Vera as an after sun and Arnica for bruises. I also agree the body butters are very good. I like the manuka honey and orange blossom one. It has a lovely, sweet, comforting yet light and fresh smell and is very rich in texture. Once applied the skin feels really soft all day.

I liked the idea of this range too and I have lots of health 'converns' personally and also hoped some of he gems may help my dad's psoriasis. I bought a set that included aloe Vera gel, collagen and lavender. I was disappointed I recently ended up throwing out the aloe (wanted to return whole set but so heavy wasn't worth it!)
The aloe gel was green, sticky and reminded me of those hand sanitisers - completely useless on my sun burn and skin probs.... Lavender ditto only couldn't even smell any lavender in it! Collagen slightly better but just seemed to evaporate off my skin (the alcohol?). Glad it works for the rest of you though!
Maybe propolis and arnica worth a try but I've been put off the whole range now!

I have always found that every brand of Aloe gel is green and sticky, which ever one I have bought over the years. We found applying a thick layer on burns whether from an iron or the sun and then leaving it does give some relief, but you have to re-apply and don't try and rub it in. The lavender gel is the one gel I have never found a use for either - the smell is a bit wishy washy.

To be fair aloe squeezed straight from the leaf is green and sticky so I shouldn't hold that against it! (And completely off-topic but are they your kitties in the photo? They're gorgeous. I have my own boy, a Burmilla who is quite a spoilt cat!) K

To clarify my somewhat contradictory post from 2012 it's my husband who likes the Propolis gel for shaving rash (I am allergic to it) at the time of my last post I had not tried the Arnica but have now- it was in a set with the manuka body butter and I have had good results with both of those. Since then I have also tried the Aloe Vera and I like that too.

I did not like their facial skincare products though. Has anyone tried the serum? Is it any good as it seems a good price.

I also want to try the lavender bath soak and the Arnica one.

Does anyone remember what was in the last TSV, if this may be a repeat as SCW mentioned in this thread? I use the propolis gel on my face for psoriasis connected with the type of arthritis I have, and it's results over time have been brilliant for me. I have had all manner of concoctions from my GP over the last 6 months and nothing has made a difference like propolis. It is out of stock as a single product on the QVC website at the moment and I'm running a bit low. I can't remember if propolis was in the last TSV so would be grateful if anyone knows the contents.

Thanks for the reply Vienna. I hope it isn't that TSV, as I have loads of Arnica and hardly ever use it, however I really want the propolis. I suppose I'll just have to wait and see which TSV repeat it is.

I love my SBC. I, too, have eczema-prone and very sensitive skin, but have no issues with the inclusion of denatured alcohol in the products. I regularly use Propolis on irrated skin and to 'clean' scrapes etc, the arnica on not just bruises but on stretched muscles and on my temperamental tendons, the collaged as a skin boost and the lavender on any insect bites. The calendular also helps heal up scars more quickly. They have become family essentials.

My husband works outdoors and swears by the arnica gel for aches and pains. I use the collagen gel underneath my day and night creams and I have very sensitive skin and have no adverse reaction to any of SBC`s products. I must admit when I first used the collagen gel it felt strange, kind of sticky but it soon soaks in and the minute you apply your moisturiser on top it disappears. I like their cleanser too and its a no fuss regime which suits me. I haven`t tried their face cream or serums ( yet ) because I`m using my stockpile of other brands.
I`ve found the aloe gel has been great for cooling my feet during the hot weather and the propolis has been handy for after shaving my legs or underarms.

http://www.qvc.it/marchi/bellezza/sbc/sbc-wonderful-gel-collection-kit-gel-corpo-5-pz.html

I wonder if it might be this kit on the QVC Italy website? All 500ml sizes like last September's UK TSV, but in the new packaging and with Aloe Vera and Calendula instead of Arnica (which was in the most recent TSV) and Collagen (which was in the one before that)

If QVC placed a huge order with SBC to supply both countries, then they really could exercise their famed "buying power".

Latest posts

Back