ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

S

SleepingBeauty

Guest Shopper
I wondered if i was alone in this, but i for one would like to know
before i purchase something where it has come from. I'm trying not
to buy anything from China or India ( China wants to resume ivory
poaching and child labour in India ) :mad::(.

I purchased a recent Liz Earl TSV and the blue bag was lovely but
was made in china which i found annoying.
I also realise before people start saying, that the Indian children
support their families, but it doesnt make it right, does it? Would
they like their children working in such conditions?

I wondered if i was alone in this, but i for one would like to know
before i purchase something where it has come from. I'm trying not
to buy anything from China or India ( China wants to resume ivory
poaching and child labour in India ) :mad::(.

I purchased a recent Liz Earl TSV and the blue bag was lovely but
was made in china which i found annoying.
I also realise before people start saying, that the Indian children
support their families, but it doesnt make it right, does it? Would
they like their children working in such conditions?

I think your comments are somewhat offensive and unless you have been to either of the places you have mentioned and seen production for yourself you shouldnt comment.

I do agree however that if would nice to know the place of origin and you can do that by either phoning customer service or look at the item on QVC USA where they do say the origin.

As far as I am aware, this isnt a political forum.

I think we'd discussed the subject this prior ST.com meltdown part 2, basically came down to that it would be impossible to buy anything if you stuck to your morals as something is always offensive.

I think your comments are somewhat offensive and unless you have been to either of the places you have mentioned and seen production for yourself you shouldnt comment.

I do agree however that if would nice to know the place of origin and you can do that by either phoning customer service or look at the item on QVC USA where they do say the origin.

As far as I am aware, this isnt a political forum.

I didnt mean to offend, that was not my intention. I only wanted to
find out about items before purchasing. I did think though, that this
was all about peoples opinions either it is or it isnt:D

It could be quite hard for a company to do as a lot of products can be made up of products from more than one country.

For instance if it was some perfume it could have ingredients from a few countries, the bottle is made elsewhere, the box somewhere else etc etc

Alan

I do not find your comments offensive.

Political? Isn't the whole of life political?

Think you might be hard pressed finding many goods not made in other countries, as we seem to have exported so many manufacturing jobs to other countries.

I do not find your comments offensive.

Political? Isn't the whole of life political?

Think you might be hard pressed finding many goods not made in other countries, as we seem to have exported so many manufacturing jobs to other countries.

I totally agree, its a shame too.

Lets face facts here...something has got to be made in India or China or other similar places, if they weren't what would the lives of children or others without any income no matter how small it may seem to us? Yes in an ideal world there would be no "child labour" or people working for pennies, but in that type of country i'm afraid its the norm, sad fact as it is.

dont think you were being offensive, but unfortunatly nearlly everthing is made in china know apart from a few things, most things we buy shoes, bags etc are made there.

Nothing offensive about wanting to know the origins of a product, and day to day life is political and, indeed, controversial.

I agree with Sleepingbeauty - customers should have the right to know exactly what they are buying - may it be difficult to - the seller has a responsiility to be clear.

I don't think the orignal comment was offensive but a good sugguestion

:D

I bought my first Steiff bear and was very surprised when it arrived that it had been made in China, listening to them talk about their items and the origin I just assumed wrongly that they made their bears in Germany. I then read Steiff were moving their production back to Germany due to bad workmanship in China.
I love my wee panda and he is perfect in every way, it's just I can't recall ever hearing any guest or presenter say they were made in china not that it would have put me off.

Regards

Piper

i think your views are very current - perhaps the easiest way of making sure the products you buy are sourced locally is to see their carbon footprint...a bit of a way round checking that the products are sourced as locally as possible...it is a good point and with everyone becoming more global in their considerations and ecological in their views, i would (hope) qvc would embrace it also...i was a bit surprised about the liz earle bag as she is always bery pro-uk sourcing etc..good luck in your quest and hope this is some help!

SleepingBeauty, I did not find your comments offensive either, in fact they raise a very good point. In the High Street, I think there is a legal requirement for goods, whether it be food/clothes or whatever to clearly show the country of origin. For example, when I buy tomatoes in the local supermarket, I usually find the country of origin is the Canary Islands. Bacon is often marked Denmark or Holland. This is the problem with TV Shopping, there does not seem to be any requirement to be given this infomation. More's the pity.

Smashbox is made in the US, but the packaging is made in China to keep the cost down. I actually asked Daniel when he was in Belfast.

Any freebies, bags etc are always made in China no matter where.
Stone Mountain bags are made in China.

I would say it would be impossible in todays world not to end up buying from China on high street,mail order etc.

Latest posts

Back