I really felt for Julia last night

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I was watching QVC last night and I did hear/see what happened. The caller was elderly very friendly and simply asked a very frank question, Julia like all the presenters claim to use the pilates machines indeed Julia is a big fan of the equipment. So why shouldn't she answer the question about her weight... even if it probably did hurt her a little and she did seem to be struggling and looking around for help.

Julia is at the end of the day one of QVC's top presenters, and I think she handled it with poise and politeness and above all was totally truthful about her weight gain.

I to love to read and laugh at all your comments about the presenters and especially 'size small' ~ but on this occasion I was totally impressed at the way she handled it ~ well done Julia.

Surely the guests - Marjolein, Caroline etc are the people there to prove the things do what they say and to the the expert advice. The QVC presenter is there to represent the viewer/non-expert.
I think that Julia handled the rather rude caller with extraordinary grace.

I never heard this but I completely agree with you on all points. Poor Julia.

Quite often on this forum peple have made a huge fuss about T. callers calling in and telling everyone about their personal problems in fact they have said derisory things about them but when a presenter does the same thing people are so sympathetic towards them and I can't understand why that should be or are presenters above critism. I don't think so. Julia should practice what she preaches.

There is a world of difference between someone phoning in and telling the presenters of their ailments or loss of a loved one and making personal, callous and rude comments to a presenter.

In the case of the former, many of those who call are housebound, lonely, often elderly, souls who tend to regard the presenters as their friends. Cringeworthy, I know, but in truth that box in the corner often brings the only company they have on a day to day basis. I know something of that loneliness myself but I do have my husband at home for 11 hours every night so at least have some company to talk with, face to face, for a couple of those precious hours before he needs to sleep.

When your family is all around you and you are able to get out and about to do your own shopping, have your hair done, go out to meet friends and have a meal etc. it is difficult to imagine what it is like to be totally alone apart from the odd help popping in from time to time to bath you or do your shopping and household chores because you can no longer do them. Many of the elderly cannot afford or do not understand computers so even the internet is not an option for them to alleviate the monotony of their lonely lives. You and I are lucky in being computer literate, many of our generation and beyond are not.

Yes, those callers do make me cringe too but I also feel great pity for them and what sad lives they must be living if they feel the need to pour out their woes to someone they see on a box in the corner of their room.

The T caller who made the comments to Julia was someone who probably never thinks of the consequences of what they say to anyone and just says what they think instead of engaging their brain before opening their mouth. There are numerous reasons for someone gaining weight, including serious illness and for more understanding people asking even a close friend why they have put on weight requires much tact and diolomacy. To simply blurt it out is downright thoughtless and shows great ignorance.

Hopefully Julia's reply will make her think but I doubt it because her apology, which I heard, was said in a defensive way, without any feeling behind it at all, which means that she has absolutley no understandstanding of the rawness Julia still feels following the loss of her Dad.

I did not realise the T caller was callous and rude as you put it MGS I understood she asked a reasonable question. As for the T. callers to the studio they do not interest me one way or the other as I seldom turn up the sound on QVC these days only when a particular product interests me. If at it seems QVC want viewers to ring the studio to speak to the presenters then they must surely learn to take the rough with the smooth. I have read posts on this forum from members saying what they would like to say to the presenters if they got through to the studio and it is not all complimentary.

Well, to be fair, I have watched Julia in recent years doing the pilates show and thought 'no point me doing it, as it's doing nothing for her'

A T caller put our thoughts into words, and I bet if Julia hadn't brought out the fact about her father dying, everyone here would be laughing.

I heard the caller and I do not really think she intended to be rude - just made an observation regarding the pilates machine and its supposed benefits! Unfortunately, her choice of words were not very well chosen. I think Julia handled the situation very well.

I didn't see the programme so I can't comment on any rudeness but I am always impressed by Julia's and her professional manner in all situations.

My MIL tends to be a bit rude or outspoken on occasion but my husband says it's not intentional, it's only because her mouth goes in to action 29 seconds before her brain.

Well, to be fair, I have watched Julia in recent years doing the pilates show and thought 'no point me doing it, as it's doing nothing for her'

A T caller put our thoughts into words, and I bet if Julia hadn't brought out the fact about her father dying, everyone here would be laughing.
Well said I agree with you in fact I have thought the same thing for years.

I would just like to say -regardless of who is right and whos wrong,i lost my father in october and if poor Julia feels anything like myself she has done well to keep presenting and putting a brave face on things. well done my lovely , time heals.:40:

No, fair enough it's not, but I don't think I've ever heard Julia state that using the Pilates machine religiously has made/kept her slender. I have heard her say it has kept her supple and she's seems to be that, relative weight gain or not.

No she has never said it has made/kept her slender but I would expect that it would show better results for someone who claims they use it the way she does - as others have said she is not a good advert for it. It strengthens your core and her middle certainly doesn't look that way to me ! I look at Beverly who was demoing it this morning and I remember how she used to be when she first started and she has improved leaps and bounds with her shape ( and she's not small either) and her suppleness. I wonder if Julia doesn't do it properly ?

All that though doesn't matter in respect of a caller being rude though. I didn't hear the call so don't know if it was someone only saying what many people here have thought and called her on it or whether it was a badly put genuine question but if it was rude that's unnecessary.

I feel for her after that t-call - I think even despite the fact she might be carrying a few extra pounds she still looks good, if I had a figure like that at 51 I'd be quite happy. Her skin is in great condition which helps. Grief can do all sorts of things to your body, putting on or losing weight is one of them, and she's obviously had a horrible time which we'd never have know about had she not said - just shows her professionalism I guess.

I don't think the caller was being rude, I think (as many have said already) she was merely making an observation but the way it came accross was quite a poke to the reciever. Imagine being told you've put on weight on TV and all your work collegues etc..

Julia handled it veryyyyyyyyy well, very professionally. Had it of been me I'd have burst into tears as soon as the show finished.

Well I'm having to stop myself shouting here - don't people understand that weight is not the only or even most important measure of fitness? In fact, my doctor told me that middleaged woman are usually fitter if carrying a little extra weight and as long as you exercise regularly (meaning 30 minutes walking every day, not an hour on a Pilates machine or at the gym), keep your blood pressure down and eat well, you are probably better off than someone who tries to keep their weight at aged 50 the same as aged 30. I met Rosemary Conley at a lunch many years ago and asked her why, despite exercising as much as I used to and continuing to eat sensibly, I was putting weight on in my 30s for no apparent reason. She embarrassed me enormously by telling me that I must be eating more than I was admitting to so it was my fault. My doctor, on the other hand, said it was simply part of moving towards middle age and for most women, it is a matter of fact that from your 30s onwards, it is more difficult to loose weight or keep it off.
I didn't see Julia the other night but I have heard her time after time saying that she loves doing Pilates as it helps her to keep supple and feel better, not that it keeps the weight off. Any Pilates instructor or excercise instructor of any kind would confirm that weight loss is not the most impoortant factor in keeping fit of being well and I would have hoped that Marjelean said something along those lines.
As for the caller, well I don't think being rude or thoughtless is anything to do with being lonely. My aunt had a very good life, a happy marriage and lovely family and the first thing she would always mention when I went to visit was how much weight I'd put on. Now her daughter, my cousin, used to tell her that it was rude but she didn't take any notice and just carried on making comments to me and others about weight. She knew it wasn't nice but just did it anyway. It was odd as otherwise she wsa a very nice kind lady but she just didn't understand or care that her comments were unkind.
I was always taught that it was rude to make any comments about people's appearance unless it was a compliment or if somebody looked poorly, in case they needed help. So I can't really excuse this sort of comment, it's just unkind.
The other thing is this - I am 49 and not bad looking but carrying a lot of extra weight. I'm about the same height as Julia and would be very happy to have her figure now or when I'm 51, I think she is a very attractive lady. And every man I have ever known, either now or when I was skinny, has said that they prefer a woman to look happy and relaxed and that doesn't mean that she has to be thin, just makes the most of herself. I think Julia does that very well.

I to lost my mum 92 on 27/12 08 so i know how she feels.

So sorry for your sad news pa. Mum is always there, from the day you are born and then one day she's gone. My Mum was 81 when she died and I expect, like I did, you will get people telling you that she was a good age etc. but it doesn't make the pain any less because she was elderly. She was still your Mum and until it happens to them, no-one can understand the overwhelming numbness you go through at the time and the rawness of your feelings, for what seems like forever, afterwards. Time never heals the loss of a parent, it just gradually takes the edges off the rawness.

May you find the inner strength to carry you though this horrible time

With Love,

Sue xx

I to lost my mum 92 on 27/12 08 so i know how she feels.
Commiserations and condolences for your loss PA
grouphug2.gif

Especially next to Rosemary Conley. JR looked really healthy and fit and although Rosemary is a health 'guru', sometimes a woman of 50+ does look good with a bit of meat on her! I'm not saying fat and wobbling flesh, I'm saying a good healthy life style eating good healthy food and not frail and boney like RC looked [sorry]

I saw Rosemary Conley the other day and thought she looked a bit rough. Being skinny when you're older can make you look worse - especially when everything's getting more wayward and less firm.

Sorry about your loss PA1916, I don't think you ever get over loosing your parents. Hope you've got lots of nice memories of her.

Firstly pa1916,I am so sorry for your sad and recent loss.

Secondly,I think Julia looks great.

Thirdly,I would rather look like Julia any day than the pilates lady called Marjolein who is so thin, sinewy old and unhealthy looking.I have no idea how old she is but she looks a good few years older than Julia.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back