I know it's been asked a hundred times before.....

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Miss Grumpy

Registered Shopper
....but why does QVC reject reviews?

I have just had mine for the CACI face system rejected. There are 26 reviews posted, giving a score of 1.3 out of 5, for a piece of equipment which breaks down within a few uses.

I wanted to add a 27th review, 1 star, for the same reason. For the life of me I cannot understand why it was rejected. I was polite and did not use any of the forbidden types of message which are proscribed in the guidelines. I said almost exactly what the other reviewers said.

Do you think they have a cut off point at which they no longer accept reviews for a clearly faulty product, or am I just being paranoid?

I don't know Miss Grumpy, I have wondered the same thing myself, I wonder if you mention another brand in the review it gets rejected, other than that I have no idea. I have had extremely positive long winded articulate reviews rejected for no apparent reason and a short negative review which I thought would never get shown did, so I would love to know what the determining factors are.

A follow up to my own question..... if it is still possible to see the reviews, does this mean that Q are still selling a product which the reviewers have unanimously shown to be faulty?

Why don't you ask them why it was rejected?

Thanks to you and Jackanory. No, I did not compare it with another brand, I stuck strictly to the facts. used it a few times, it failed to hold charge, stopped working. I can't see the point of asking why it was rejected, as they would just point me in the direction of their guidelines, which I have already followed.

Did you mention the price or if it was on EZP? I had one rejected cos I said I bought it on free p&p (which I had to ring and ask about as I was furious not to get an explanation).

Wow ....dire reviews mainly negative so can understand why you are baffled about your review. surely they cant keep selling this.

....but why does QVC reject reviews?

I have just had mine for the CACI face system rejected. There are 26 reviews posted, giving a score of 1.3 out of 5, for a piece of equipment which breaks down within a few uses.

I wanted to add a 27th review, 1 star, for the same reason. For the life of me I cannot understand why it was rejected. I was polite and did not use any of the forbidden types of message which are proscribed in the guidelines. I said almost exactly what the other reviewers said.

Do you think they have a cut off point at which they no longer accept reviews for a clearly faulty product, or am I just being paranoid?

Maybe you have to be on Facebook Happy Shopper page to write a review with a special secret code!!? Seriously, I would email them and ask why this has happened? :mysmilie_11:

If your item lost its charge, it was clearly faulty - I hope you returned it and got your postage refunded too.
Maybe there was a faulty batch, but QVC need to find out because if items are returned as faulty they loose out on postage both ways, so it would be costing them a fortune.

A follow up to my own question..... if it is still possible to see the reviews, does this mean that Q are still selling a product which the reviewers have unanimously shown to be faulty?

Wow ....dire reviews mainly negative so can understand why you are baffled about your review. surely they cant keep selling this.

Unfortunately you think QVC are interested in the reviews. I think the brands themselves may be interested in reviews... but QVC will balance 26 reviews against the 1,000+ sales they will have made and like the percentages.

QVC are only interested in 2 things in the reviews - how many are 5 star, which they can cite as a sales tool on air; and are there ideas for further sales opportunities in the reviews (please can we have it in other colours, please can we have longer/shorter lengths/sleevs etc).

Some shoppers never bother to read reviews and buy. Some will read the reviews and buy anyway, and some will take the reviews into account and buy or not buy.

I still review things from time to time, and try to make it as helpful as possible for that last category of shopper.

Did you allude to the product being available elsewhere? Sometimes (especially when they are claiming to be the only retailer) they may be twitch about that. Did you compare it unfavourably to a rival product? As Stratobuddy says - maybe if you can recall it enough to post it here we might be able to help you decypher the mysterious wrong-doing that got it rejected.

Last edited:
Interesting point! I recently idled away a few minutes on a household items show and saw a fabulous demo of an H2O steam cleaner with several attachments and thought I must get this (even though I have managed perfectly well without one up to now). I know some of these things can leave pools of water so thought I would just check out the reviews and boy am I glad I did. They are dire, loads of one stars saying the demo is fab, but in reality it is a really poor performer. Nothing like it is made out to be. So I saved my money.

Many thanks to all who showed an interest in this. No, I did not compare it to other products, give price information....and all the other things you have collectively suggested. Hence my bafflement.

The only way in which i deviated from a straightforward 'it wobbled in the cradle, did not charge up, stopped working' comments of all other reviewers was I mentioned that to stop it wobbling I used a plastic hair pin to plug the wide gap between charger and caci wand. I am wondering now if that was the cause....health and safety?.... but it was plastic on plastic, not flammable.

I am more baffled, having sought your collective advices today, by the fact that it is still on sale! The reviews on Amazon say exactly the same thing... it does not fit the charging cradle, does not charge, stops working. Clearly, a faultily designed product. So presumably QVC will be deluged with returns.

The same with the H2O mop. What are QVC thinking? Would any other retailer keep selling a faulty product?

Many thanks to all who showed an interest in this. No, I did not compare it to other products, give price information....and all the other things you have collectively suggested. Hence my bafflement.

The only way in which i deviated from a straightforward 'it wobbled in the cradle, did not charge up, stopped working' comments of all other reviewers was I mentioned that to stop it wobbling I used a plastic hair pin to plug the wide gap between charger and caci wand. I am wondering now if that was the cause....health and safety?.... but it was plastic on plastic, not flammable.

I am more baffled, having sought your collective advices today, by the fact that it is still on sale! The reviews on Amazon say exactly the same thing... it does not fit the charging cradle, does not charge, stops working. Clearly, a faultily designed product. So presumably QVC will be deluged with returns.

The same with the H2O mop. What are QVC thinking? Would any other retailer keep selling a faulty product?

Yep - that would do it! It will be a product liability thing (as in, if it was published on QVC site, some readers would take that advice as being QVC's advice)...

Proportion of returns vs sales which have not been returned, particularly for the H2O - until or unless it starts to burst into flames or causes an issue which would get the authorities involved - they'll keep selling.

Last edited:
I remember about 6 years ago, there was a mini video recorder around the £100 mark - came in several colours. There was a lot of hoo haa about that too, pages of negative reports, hard to insert the memory card and actually get the thing working; but they kept on selling it.

I haven't written reviews for a long time because the last few were rejected and when I asked why, they just kept referring me back to the guidelines. Nothing in my reviews breached those guidelines so I believe it's just a random thing whether they are accepted or not, depending on which operator is censoring the review at the time. The only reviews I read are the negative ones because QVC have already pointed out the positive spin. But since I don't buy much there any more, reading reviews is not something I do a lot of.

Just an update....I must have been wrong that Q had limited the bad reviews...They have rejected my rewrite of the review, leaving out the 'inserted plastic hairpin' bit. But they have published another, very in depth, review, One Star!, so it must be just me they don't like!

Just an update....I must have been wrong that Q had limited the bad reviews...They have rejected my rewrite of the review, leaving out the 'inserted plastic hairpin' bit. But they have published another, very in depth, review, One Star!, so it must be just me they don't like!

How weird.

How weird.

Many thanks, maymorganlondon. It has made me think. My revised review was very plain and factual. Just two sentences saying the battery stopped holding a charge after four uses. And then the on switch would not work.

It makes me think.... how many reviews do we not see?

I have got to the point where I so distrust QVC's reviews that I only buy a very limited number of things I trust them to get right, which limits me these days to Lock and Lock, or look at reviews on Amazon, Argos and John Lewis etc for any Q product which is sold by them. It is often very enlightening to see the number of negative reviews in those retailer's comments columns compared to the same percentage of bad reviews in a QVC review column. Are we really being well enough informed by QVC?

Many thanks, maymorganlondon. It has made me think. My revised review was very plain and factual. Just two sentences saying the battery stopped holding a charge after four uses. And then the on switch would not work.

It makes me think.... how many reviews do we not see?

I have got to the point where I so distrust QVC's reviews that I only buy a very limited number of things I trust them to get right, which limits me these days to Lock and Lock, or look at reviews on Amazon, Argos and John Lewis etc for any Q product which is sold by them. It is often very enlightening to see the number of negative reviews in those retailer's comments columns compared to the same percentage of bad reviews in a QVC review column. Are we really being well enough informed by QVC?

I think the answer to that is a very clear NO.:mysmilie_11:

If we want to know about which sleb is allegedly using/wearing/won't be without the product - yes, they're all over that.

Much of the time I think you're better asking for feedback somewhere like this where people are more likely to give you honest feedback, but you can query and follow up easily on parts of the feedback you don't quite get.

I'm sure there must be an element of subjectiveness in which reviews get through and which don't, even though they profess to only using the criteria set out. I'll admit to being very curious about what your review contained that keeps offending against the criteria.

Latest posts

Back