How not to wear a pair of trousers

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

At one time you were called vain, big headed and boastful if you promoted yourself in such a way. Personally I still think that. These people have nothing to offer me, and as for those that stick out their tongues like 6 year olds, its both laughable and pathetic. Sadly the advent of the mobile with a camera sparked all of this idiocy, as it was nigh on impossible to do a selfie properly with a standard camera minus tripod. Even a Polaroid was a clumsy beast to operate.

I couldn't agree more...This incessant taking of photos is completely out of control. In my day, you'd possibly bung your camera in your bag for a special night out, or if you'd got a bit left on your film that needed using up. Other than that your camera was for holidays, weddings, and new babies. Can't do anything these days without someone shoving their camera phone in your face, or their own...straight on social media...to get a load of people "liking" or commenting "beautiful babe". I think I've finally got the message across to my lot - I do not want my photo taken, when I'm out for a coffee, down the pub..anywhere...by all means ask me..but if I say no, I mean no!

I've often wondered what happens to all those photos that are taken on the red carpet (or elsewhere) with celebrities. It was autographs that were sought after not that long ago, and I still have an autograph book full of 'names' tucked in the drawer. Do those with sleb photos on their phones actually download them for posterity, or is it onto soshal meeja for the thumbs up and then forgotten about ?

I read an article by an historian recently, and she says that we should all dig deep into our old photos and write any details on the back for the sake of history, for those in the future to look back on. I know myself I have sepia photos tucked away that I have no knowledge of who they are, but if someone had just written whether it was an aunt / uncle /cousin/ friend and the date, it would have made a huge difference. All those photos on phones - what will happen to all those ? Grandkids of the future might just be interested to see what Great Great Granny did on the night she had a skirt on up to her bum with a load of mates giving a V sign 🤭

Someone will do it because I'm far too lazy to look it up. Sorry. I remember it because Julius was still on here and he was commenting on it in quite graphic terms :oops: It was that moment you do a double take and think "I can see your hoot n annie".

Back to the lady in the trousers, she is lovely, pretty and has fabulous hair. She just did not look good in the bottom half of her outfit in my own opinion.

CC

I miss Julius. I know he wasn't everyone's cup of tea though...

I couldn't agree more...This incessant taking of photos is completely out of control. In my day, you'd possibly bung your camera in your bag for a special night out, or if you'd got a bit left on your film that needed using up. Other than that your camera was for holidays, weddings, and new babies. Can't do anything these days without someone shoving their camera phone in your face, or their own...straight on social media...to get a load of people "liking" or commenting "beautiful babe". I think I've finally got the message across to my lot - I do not want my photo taken, when I'm out for a coffee, down the pub..anywhere...by all means ask me..but if I say no, I mean no!

Ahhhh the sicophantic comments. Don't those chumps know the pics are doctored? Fucktards

Buggerit. Won't play the vid. Damn my rubbish band speed
Try pulling up 'Task Master', to see how much memory the apps you are running, are taking up. I've recently switched back to Firefox, as Chrome is a monster memory muncher. If you start typing it into the search bar next to the 'windows' icon, it'll come up, via predictive text. It's quite an eye-opener!

I also use System Mechanic, for tune-ups and disk de-fragmentation. I've used it for years, but there are similar products out there. I don't know if there's any free ones.

You might find it's lack of memory, that's hindering you.

Fucktards 😀😀 (what happened to that smiley that was rolling on the floor waving its legs in the air?)

I hate reading posts and captions that say things like "gorgeous hun" and up above there's a photoshop of a girl with an unnatural figure and impossibly nice hair dolled up in a lacey bra. What's the point?

CC

There was a segment on BBC news about a con woman (I think you are able to access it from BBC on line). Although she is now part of some scam church thing she primarily was a type of influencer/blogger scammer.

Watching it I came to the conclusion that despite being a fairly intelligent woman I have no conception of the modern world. Perhaps if I’d had young teenage contacts I might not be so flummoxed as to the point of it all. Despite my love of Dave Gorman I don’t think “modern life is goodish” simply because I feel like an alien.

There was a segment on BBC news about a con woman (I think you are able to access it from BBC on line). Although she is now part of some scam church thing she primarily was a type of influencer/blogger scammer.

Watching it I came to the conclusion that despite being a fairly intelligent woman I have no conception of the modern world. Perhaps if I’d had young teenage contacts I might not be so flummoxed as to the point of it all. Despite my love of Dave Gorman I don’t think “modern life is goodish” simply because I feel like an alien.
Completely agree, it certainly isn’t my world anymore.

Ahhhh the sicophantic comments. Don't those chumps know the pics are doctored? Fucktards
I know - It drives me mad. What drives me more mad is when people of my age or there abouts buy into this ridiculousness. I'm personally glad that when I was younger I could enjoy a pampering session/getting ready to go out without feeling the need to put a picture out there for approval....and I certainly don't want to get into it now! Very occassionally ( and I mean very occassionally) I've got myself ready for a night out, and have been pleased with the way I've looked, and if someone said to me on the night...wow, you look great, I love your dress etc - I'd be as pleased as punch, and that would be a better endorsement than a thousand people clicking "like" or posting "stunning babe". A picture of someone posing with a duck pout, blowing a fake kiss, or just standing there in their new dress or what have you is the photographic equivalent of a rhetorical question -"I look good, yes?" Vain and ridiculous. Some people try to dress it up as under confidence - Someone told me I look fat in this!/ playing with hair colours not sure about this one/ wouldn't normally wear this colour....Like anyone's gonna return....Yes, they were right/no it looks terrible/ I don't blame you...I stick to black if I were you! I ignore these sort of pictures, occassionally "like"just to keep the peace, but never ever comment, even if they are looking good..but if I'm honest most of the pics are posed, maybe not filtered. If someone looks good when I see them...I'll be the first to compliment them in person. Like I said a night out, is about enjoying a show, a meal, having fun with friends and happy memories...I don't need to see a pic of my spag bol, or a group of us waiting for the show to start to remind me how good it was! Rant over

I'm not on any form of soc/media, so perhaps someone on here can tell me..... Has anyone ever commented "you look like a tramp" or "why are you wearing something thats clearly too small?" because I would 🤭 🤭
Believe me...It's tempting, but I couldn't be doing with the backlash. That's the reason I ignore!

Fucktards 😀😀 (what happened to that smiley that was rolling on the floor waving its legs in the air?)

I hate reading posts and captions that say things like "gorgeous hun" and up above there's a photoshop of a girl with an unnatural figure and impossibly nice hair dolled up in a lacey bra. What's the point?

CC

I miss the dying fly smiley too.

Whatever she's dressed in, she's always pleasant to listen to. I salute all those working mums who manage to look even remotely well presented after having a baby, unlike scruffy me who used to take all day to get anything other than babies and children up and running then went to bed exhausted. How Amanda, the Yorkshire Shepherdess, helps run a farm with 9 children is totally beyond me.

The same way women pre-80's have always managed. They had to.

I'm the youngest - a 'surprise' baby - so was brought up more by my siblings than my mum. She had to go out to work to help my father start his business.

There was no down-time for her. She worked all week then did batch cooking and washed for all of us with a twin tub and a washing line on the weekends.

Modern inventions like freezers, microwaves, washing machines and tumble-dryers that undoubtedly have made life easier have almost made up for the fact that most women now have to work (yet still have to do the majority of the housework). So, while women these days don't have to work as hard physically as they did in my mum's day, they're away from home longer. Access to contraception has made families (mostly) smaller so children without siblings (or only one) don't seem to have responsibility foisted on them as they did years ago.

I look at my daughter's friends and all I see are young women who only make an effort for Instagram or coffee with friends. I was stuck in front of the (black & white) telly but these days it's interactive toys or a tablet. One of the friend's children, in particular, is crying out for attention and someone to play with every time I see her (pre-Covid) which was usually in Costa. She'd be going from table to table looking for someone to play with her. My daughter tells me the mother only gets washed and dressed when she wants to post a pic of clothes she's ordered (and then returns) on Instagram. Otherwise, it's Costa a few times a week or friends round where she'll moan that she's so busy she has no time to do anything!

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Life has changed so much. It should be for the better yet it isn't. On one hand, there are all the 'mod cons' on the other social media sucks the time out of life. Then there's the 'dating scene' and the men. Where do I start?! My nephew has fathered four children with different women! He only sees them when my sister has them. He never wanted children but 'doesn't like' using condoms. He no longer whinges to me as he doesn't like the straight talk he gets. Stupid, selfish boy - he's 22. He's not alone with this attitude, though, and if the girlfriend wants a baby she just 'forgets' her pill.

I don't blame these girls. They're brought up with Disney princesses and romance and expect the bloke to stick with them but sadly, a lot don't. What I really don't like is seeing children being expected to play with tablets and phones instead of parents interacting with them. Or at least seeing them be able to play with other children - I live rurally where there are plenty of parks. Even pre-Covid they were virtually empty.

The digital age should make life easier for us, not make us too lazy to enjoy family life.

I'm the youngest - a 'surprise' baby - so was brought up more by my siblings than my mum. She had to go out to work to help my father start his business.

There was no down-time for her. She worked all week then did batch cooking and washed for all of us with a twin tub and a washing line on the weekends.

Modern inventions like freezers, microwaves, washing machines and tumble-dryers that undoubtedly have made life easier have almost made up for the fact that most women now have to work (yet still have to do the majority of the housework). So, while women these days don't have to work as hard physically as they did in my mum's day, they're away from home longer. Access to contraception has made families (mostly) smaller so children without siblings (or only one) don't seem to have responsibility foisted on them as they did years ago.

I look at my daughter's friends and all I see are young women who only make an effort for Instagram or coffee with friends. I was stuck in front of the (black & white) telly but these days it's interactive toys or a tablet. One of the friend's children, in particular, is crying out for attention and someone to play with every time I see her (pre-Covid) which was usually in Costa. She'd be going from table to table looking for someone to play with her. My daughter tells me the mother only gets washed and dressed when she wants to post a pic of clothes she's ordered (and then returns) on Instagram. Otherwise, it's Costa a few times a week or friends round where she'll moan that she's so busy she has no time to do anything!

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Life has changed so much. It should be for the better yet it isn't. On one hand, there are all the 'mod cons' on the other social media sucks the time out of life. Then there's the 'dating scene' and the men. Where do I start?! My nephew has fathered four children with different women! He only sees them when my sister has them. He never wanted children but 'doesn't like' using condoms. He no longer whinges to me as he doesn't like the straight talk he gets. Stupid, selfish boy - he's 22. He's not alone with this attitude, though, and if the girlfriend wants a baby she just 'forgets' her pill.

I don't blame these girls. They're brought up with Disney princesses and romance and expect the bloke to stick with them but sadly, a lot don't. What I really don't like is seeing children being expected to play with tablets and phones instead of parents interacting with them. Or at least seeing them be able to play with other children - I live rurally where there are plenty of parks. Even pre-Covid they were virtually empty.

The digital age should make life easier for us, not make us too lazy to enjoy family life.
That's a succinct & sobering post Alter & sadly all these children who lack positive role models will become copies of their parents. To add to the mood of the day the weather's grim & earlier I heard the Chief of the UK Defence Staff say that WW3 is now a real risk. I watched the service from the Cenotaph, it was surreal & profoundly moving & I wondered, yet again, what all the sacrifices were for. Good grief, where's all our hope?

That's a succinct & sobering post Alter & sadly all these children who lack positive role models will become copies of their parents. To add to the mood of the day the weather's grim & earlier I heard the Chief of the UK Defence Staff say that WW3 is now a real risk. I watched the service from the Cenotaph, it was surreal & profoundly moving & I wondered, yet again, what all the sacrifices were for. Good grief, where's all our hope?

It's like people have conveniently forgotten history.

I honestly do not understand the hate today - nor do I understand the self-promotion. Not just of individuals but of groups.

And don't get me started on the evil men that do things in the name of religion.

I was terrified of nuclear war and was one of the loonies protesting at Greenham Common. Being older and (hopefully a bit) wiser I realise the need as a deterrent but now I'm more worried about terrorism leading to the kind of war where the Geneva Protocol won't be followed and chemical or biological weapons will be released.

I've taped the Service to watch later. I always get too emotional watching it so watch it alone.

Brilliant post AE and all of it so true. The bit about Disney princesses is so key. When I was a child many moons ago, toys were very much divided into toys for girls and toys for boys, much less than nowadays yet it didn't turn us all into stereotypes. In the 80's and 90's little girls toys and clothes turned a vile shade of pink, so not only were the toys more "girly" - The actual child would be referred to as a "princess" and treated like one too. Kids of our generation were running around in all different coloured clothes, had grubby knees, took their dolls out of their blue and white or what ever colour it was (never pink) dolls pram and fed mud pies to their dolls, performed "surgery" on them with their nurses kit, made go carts, made camps out of white sheets. Now they'd be given a pink and gold ready made tent, wouldn't go near a mud pie, and if they had a doll it would be a barbie princess with her own castle, they wouldn't be making their own perfumes with flowers from the garden mixed with water - They'd probably be given their first bottle of designer perfume at the age of 11 . With all that in mind, it's little wonder how this selfie generation has come about - total shame..and as you've illustrated there it doesn't just stop at the selfie....It's self, self , self all the way, so much that they ignore their little princes and princesses and decide that a few bits of shocking pink plastic, or computer games are worth more than any kind of human interraction or attention can give...very sad!
It's no flamin' wonder they're craving attention now!

This is so true, alter ego. That is the way it was back then. In the beginning I didn't even have a washing machine so everything had to be hand washed in the bath - including terry nappies - and with a husband on shift work, no family nearby, and not prepared to have someone else bring them up, I didn't work, so tough times. Glamour just wasn't part of it. Hard work and isolation were though I was luckier than a lot of mothers, I reckon. I suppose society had to make life easier, but the end result is having to live up to being yummy mummies (which my friends and I definitely weren't so we didn't have the pressure of having to live up to an image). Even if I had children now, I couldn't do that because that must be totally exhausting in a different way.

But our children had the best of us and we made our own fun with whatever was to hand - old bits of toys, crayons, kitchen tools, cardboard boxes, whatever. Maybe children today don't do these things, and if they don't, then that's a shame. Three neighbouring families grew up together, all the children have done well in one way or another, and we're all still friends. Job done. But an easy option it wasn't. Just like the parents of today, I reckon, don't have an easy time having to live up to false expectations. That must be exhausting in itself. But give me what I had any day.

Latest posts

Back