Hibiscus and Trailing sweet peas

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

teddybear581

Registered Shopper
Did anyone get these?

Of my four Hibiscus two have one small bud showing..at last. but the other two have nothing at all. Do you think they should be showing growth by now or is it time to complain?
The sweet peas in the baskets have been a disaster. Only about 7 of them are still living but even they are looking worse every day.Has anyone had any sucess with them?

i have little respect for companies that try to flog plants in a way that is deceptive just to get a sale.these sweet pea kits are doomed to fail as i dont care what these sellers want to say sweet peas need a good root run and capacious amounts of water and lots of sun.
growing sweet peas and the latest myth tomatoes in hanging baskets is a joke just to get unsupecting gardeners to part with cash for a fake novelty...
hanging baskets are lovely for plants that like a free draining soil and will thrive in these conditions. sweet peas,tomatoes,anather madness strawberries what a con...you would have to water several times a day to get any results and all the nutrition in the soil would wash out..leaving you with a silly crop..
the very least if you have little or no garden would be to grow these plants in very large pots with good quality compost...
just because something looks good in a magazine picture and has a novelty factor does not mean it will be like that in real life.
you cant fool nature just customers!!!
cant comment on the hibiscus but i have a feeling that they are not easy to grow either.

I bought the sweetpeas in the baskets tsv last year - what a load of rubbish. Again they just did not grow. Also with sweet peas you have to pick them to make them grow more - then you don't get any flowers left? Did not even consider the ones in the hanging baskets this year.

And most of the plants I have had from qvc have been crap. I have had one or two successes but not often. I have just bought some Raymond Evison Clematis and hoping for success with them.

All the plants I've had from QVC have been rubbish:2:

Have to say the plants OH has had recently have been poor !, and I have complained twice in the past couple of weeks, and have been refunded for one and I am getting a replacement for the second.
At this rate CS will be thinking I am "pulling a fast one" .

I emailed QVC about the hibiscus yesterday - only one is showing a shoot - red sky from memory. The other 3 - all treated exactly the same - show nothing. Richard Jackson said shooting in May I believ - so I gave a few days into June and wrote yesterday - only acknowledgement so far. I deffo think it's time to complain.

One out of 4 has not grown

I emailed QVC about the hibiscus yesterday - only one is showing a shoot - red sky from memory. The other 3 - all treated exactly the same - show nothing. Richard Jackson said shooting in May I believ - so I gave a few days into June and wrote yesterday - only acknowledgement so far. I deffo think it's time to complain.

Hi,
Three of our hibiscus plants have good strong shoots, but the other one is showing no sign of life at all. They have all been treated the same, using the same compost and so it's not anything we have done. I realise that we have 3 growing, but 25% of our money would be wasted if the fourth one doesn't grow - ours is the "white heaven" that has failed, so far. I think I will email CS about a replacement or refund.

:33::33::33:

disappointing plants

Last year I bought lots of plants from QVC and was disappointed in them all. The sweet pea and tomatoes did not live up to expectations. Busy Lizzies and begonias also were a disapointment certainly not the large flowering plants which were shown.
this year I have bought nothing, I still watch the garden shows but note down any plants I like and try and source them from local garden centres. I may pay more for them but at least I can see what I am getting

Thats just reminded me, I bought the hanging tomato bags with the cherry toms in last year and they were hopeless:2:I'm not generally a QVC knocker, I like most of their stuff but their plants are really shite!:34:

We bought the sweetpea TSV and so far they seem to be doing well. My OH waters them every day and feeds them twice a week. The only complaint we had was that the brackets were really poor quality and one of them broke before we got it on the wall!!

I think it is actually dishonest for them to sell tomatoes in small baskets. They ("experts") MUST know that toms need such a lot of water in order to produce the fruits, which are mainly water! So they need a good root system in order to take up all this water.

If you can't plant in a bed with good rich soil, a large pot/tub will do, or just plonk a couple of tom plants in the humble grow-bag.

Same with sweet peas. They need to take a lot of nitrogen from the soil, so they have a lot of roots which need a lot of soil.

Linda (AKA Percy Thrower)

I feel cheated, we bought the lovely butterfly hanging baskets....bought a greenhouse and kept them inside until 2 weeks ago when we proudly hung them at the front of our house.

They were looking really good i have to say until 2 days ago OH commented that the sweatpeas were turning brown and dying, we thought maybe they had too much sun as its been very hot here since last friday,.

We have followed the instructions that came with the plants, im so blooming annoyed, oh and i almost forgot to mention the TSV early in the year...the one that got delivered in march..it had geraniums, buzy lizzies and tiger plants...well we lost all of the buzy lizzies and they had been kept in the greenhouse too.

QVC plants are a VERY mixed bag I have had both VERY good and VERY bad this year, Tree Lilly's that only 1 of the 9 bulbs has shown any sign of life a new batch arrived in the post this morning so I hope it's not to late to try again. The rose's are doing really well along with the tree peonies. But the Hibiscus (and I only received 3 not 4) only 1 is showing any leaf growth at all, and the hardy geranium TSV looked like a load of dead twigs but I have planted them in pots so only time will tell. I have found CS very iffy over plant complaints.

I have only had total failure with plants bought from QVC.

Richard Jackson gives the wrong information out by saying these plants are hardy. They may well be in Jersey where they are shipped from.

The big issue I have if that the plugs/seedling are all forced to create a plant in a very short period of time using heat and humidity. These plants are not hardened off.
The consequences are that when they arrive and are planted, it is a big shock to the plants (Temp, humidity and soil type).

I bought the set of 3 Blueberry plants about 3 years ago, first set arrived with 2 plants half out from the packing box, how they packed them with twigs sticking out ??? :31:, so got sent a second lot...I had no joy with them, mainly due to my free ranging bunny!!! :21: who took great delight in serious ~pruning~..gave the plants to my daughter and she has brought them on a treat, wow!..this year the plants are smothered in blueberries, she is thrilled.

These are my only success story with qvc plants..the other one, can't recall what they were, went back, rubbish!

daydreamer

I really hope someone from QVC is reading all the "gardening posts" between us all we have had such a lots of "let downs" !.
It must be costing them such a lot to sort our problems, with either a refund or replacement item.
They really need to look at what is happening here and do something to sort what on earth is happening, is it the growing, packaging,"expert advice" !, etc.

I think it is actually dishonest for them to sell tomatoes in small baskets. They ("experts") MUST know that toms need such a lot of water in order to produce the fruits, which are mainly water! So they need a good root system in order to take up all this water.

If you can't plant in a bed with good rich soil, a large pot/tub will do, or just plonk a couple of tom plants in the humble grow-bag.
Same with sweet peas. They need to take a lot of nitrogen from the soil, so they have a lot of roots which need a lot of soil.

Linda (AKA Percy Thrower)

Did you see on gardeners world last week the way they planted their tomatoes in grow bags - instead of just cutting the holes in as marked whereby the plants have no depth of soil. They cut the whole bag in half and stood each half up on end and planted in it that way round- said there would be more depth and the stakes would be able to stand up better. Brilliant idea - but I had already planted mine by this time. This will be my way for next year though.

Did anyone get these?

Of my four Hibiscus two have one small bud showing..at last. but the other two have nothing at all. Do you think they should be showing growth by now or is it time to complain?
The sweet peas in the baskets have been a disaster. Only about 7 of them are still living but even they are looking worse every day.Has anyone had any sucess with them?

hi i bought both the sweet peas and the hibiscus
,the sweet peas seem to be doing well fingers crossed the hibiscus i bought eight off these and there is only one growing and that is very slow and looks very week .i rang qvc this week and they are going to get back to me,i think they both a bad lot ,seems and waist off compost and time ?

exactly rosey think about how much soil a grow bag has in comparison to a hanging basket...
a tip for saving on potting compost:use grow bags. at least half the price of normal potting compost.i even use it to germinate seeds tricky ones like petunias and the most difficult of all busylizzies.been doing this for years.
i buy john innes for my special shrubs like my dear friends raymond evisons clematis and patio roses but thats it...

Latest posts

Back