Heys Set of 3 Suitcases TSV 05/08/15

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I bought a set of Tripp cases and holdalls last year from Debenhams. The fabric ones, brightly coloured tulip pattern and they`ve been absolutely fine.

Someone is sending their cases back after reading the five year guarantee doesn't cover damage whilst in transit on airplanes. Apparently you have to sort it out separately with the airline comcerned. This should have been made aware during the presentation. :mysmilie_502:

I have Delsey and Samsonite hard cases. They are the "old fashioned shape" but were one of the first ones to have wheels.

However, the wheels are very close together (because of the "old" shape) so it is a bit unstable when wheeling it.

But they are very strong and have proper locks, not zips.

Unfortunately they are very heavy.

If someone is determined to get into your case then little will stop them. I watched a documentary once which showed behind the scenes at an airport and the amount of pilfering which goes on and no lock can stop them. It was eye opening !
I recall returning from America the year after 9/11 and my case had a sticker on it saying it had been randomly chosen for a security check. They`d obviously opened my case without even breaking the lock, searched it and fastened it again and once on a delay returning from Mauritius we were ferried to a hotel for an overnight stay and when my case was offloaded from the coach it had been slit with a stanley knife and a large bottle of perfume which I`d bought from Heathrow before flying out there had gone missing and it was a hard bodied case at that.
Thankfully I never keep anything of value in my case and I never take expensive jewellery with me either. A thief will always be a thief and they always find a way around any obstacle, no matter what.

the best suitcases are lightweight and well designed so easy to push. i have never had one dent, or split. or locks break. but they cost. amazon a good place to get nice cases that can take the rigours of flying. its obvious if a company says you have to take it up with an airline re damage its best to return them and buy something else

I would love to design my own, and get it made.

The spec:

Made to formula 1 standards using carbon fibre and titanium, therefore very light but extremely strong.

Would have 4 wheels, but 2 would be lockable so the case didn't run away on a slope.

Obviously it would have a folding handle for wheeling, and would have the choice of 4 wheel or 2 wheel drive (using the wheel locks).

The wheels would be larger than usual suitcase wheels, for rough terrain. They would have easily replaceable solid rubber tyres so they would never wear out. Naturally they would have high quality, fully sealed, ball bearings.

I estimate it would cost about £1000, probably made by McClaren F1 racing, so I am waiting to win the lottery.

One of my (brand new) rolling duffel bags was damaged by mishandling during a trip on the 'Rocky Mountaineer' in Canada a few years ago. I was despatched 'Downtown' in Vancouver to get it repaired, at the tour company's expense. The young lad who fixed it did a great job, replacing one of the wheels, but I had to empty my stuff into bin liners and leave the bag with him overnight, then go back for it the next day. It was all very upsetting and massively inconvenient - and the reason I will never recommend the Rocky Mountaineer to anyone, as it was not a cheap holiday (was for a 'milestone' birthday) and they could not have cared less. (Their guest relations woman was a complete cow and reduced me to tears, which takes some doing). He said the RM kept him supplied with regular business!
The point of this post though, is that I've never seen anywhere in the UK that offers a suitcase or luggage repair service?

my daughter bought a set of very expensive luggage from john lewis i think it was antler. and it was poorly made. she was at uni at the time so used it for coach journeys only. she used them once and the handle fell off while she was crossing the road. so we bought it back. they kicked up merry hell. they would not replace or refund the case. when i showed them the problem was that the grub screw to fix the handle was too short (3mm) to push such a large case without falling off they sent back to antler. who said nothing was wrong. back we went. luckily we met a staff member who just gave us a full refund for both cases. my dauughter bougt some qvc soft cases and 10 years later she is still using them. they look tatty but hey!

I might be completely off base here but when I see the VT of the suitcase completely squashing up when getting pushed up against the wall that was enough for me to think what a load of rubbish the cases were. I personally wouldn't want mine to squash like that. If I have been on holidays I want the things I buy to be safe not to squash like that..., surely cases should be sturdy and indestructible

I might be completely off base here but when I see the VT of the suitcase completely squashing up when getting pushed up against the wall that was enough for me to think what a load of rubbish the cases were. I personally wouldn't want mine to squash like that. If I have been on holidays I want the things I buy to be safe not to squash like that..., surely cases should be sturdy and indestructible

Yeah I agree, they were trying to show it as it's best selling point, but it is also it's worst. Looked like a recipe for disaster for me if you have something in there like a hairdryer, it'd easily get broken.

I said this in my first post, the demo graphically illustrated that it gave no protection whatsoever to the contents, you may as well use a bin bag (that also recovers after being stepped on).

My post above was #39 on page 4, I've just realised that most of the posts go back to 2015 when it was on before.

Yeah I agree, they were trying to show it as it's best selling point, but it is also it's worst. Looked like a recipe for disaster for me if you have something in there like a hairdryer, it'd easily get broken.

Yes, I didn't even think of my hairdryer, I was thinking mostly of the yankee candles I buy when I travel to the states haha... or even the godiva chocolates, i dont want them in bits after being crushed

Yes, I didn't even think of my hairdryer, I was thinking mostly of the yankee candles I buy when I travel to the states haha... or even the godiva chocolates, i dont want them in bits after being crushed

Oh my goodness I could cope with breaking the candles, BUT NOT THE CHOCOLATE :mysmilie_466: :mysmilie_17:

Latest posts

Back