Happy 50th Birthday Jill Franks!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I agree, Donna. It would be interesting to know but in the scheme of things it's not that important.

I know her hard selling and sales patter annoys some people, but to be fair she is employed as a sales person and is on commission. She's just doing her job. No different to a car salesman or the assistant in a clothes shop telling you you look fabulous in a size 22 skin tight neon green Lycra mini dress. I've thought she looks a lot more healthy in recent months. Her skin has improved and she's not so skeletal. Her hair is looking lots better too. I wouldn't mind looking like that and being that healthy when I get to 50. Happy birthday Jill.

I saw JF the other evening and l thought her hair seemed lighter and it seems to have drained the colour from her face. Or our tele is on the blink.

I thought her hair looked lighter too.

All I know is, from what I read about two years ago, someone said he'd left to help his girlfriend start up her new business, maybe he just said helping his girlfriend with her new business and didn't say left, maybe he told someone and they put it on QVCs FB and that's what I read, maybe who ever put it on QVCs FB read it on his FB not Twitter, who knows? who cares? No to me it's so not "interesting"

His girlfriend started the business a good while before he left QVC, he mentioned it on air at times. He has not mentioned any details about leaving QVC on Twitter or FB, he has not been on either, certainly not publicly.

I know her hard selling and sales patter annoys some people, but to be fair she is employed as a sales person and is on commission. She's just doing her job. No different to a car salesman or the assistant in a clothes shop telling you you look fabulous in a size 22 skin tight neon green Lycra mini dress. I've thought she looks a lot more healthy in recent months. Her skin has improved and she's not so skeletal. Her hair is looking lots better too. I wouldn't mind looking like that and being that healthy when I get to 50. Happy birthday Jill.

They don't get commission (according to Julia Roberts) and she should know, I agree she's there to sell but unlike a shop where you can touch, feel and smell, you rely on the guests to inform you as much as possible, that to me would sell (well it would if I shopped there any more) but when I used to shop, hearing the guest explain would sell it to me more than hearing JF talk about what she loves and couldn't live without, that her friend now uses the product because she loves Jill's so much, or someone came up to her in the street and said they love the product etc. I would love a sales assisted to say I look good, but when she/he starts telling me how he/she couldn't live without what I'm wearing or looking, then I'm off.

Last edited:
Just a thought, but all these messages of goodwill to the various presenters, like the Happy Birthdays, the messages of congratulations to weddings, births, and on the other side of the coin, the condolences - are we just doing it for ourselves ? because we have no idea whether the intended recipient ever bothers to read this site !

In a similar vein, I'm not on Twitter, but I do cringe when I see in the press that so and so has tweeted a message of condolence, or congratulations - usually the slebs, general its pr...ts like Lineker and Madeley. If they are so concerned, they should send a ****** card or pick up the phone, not put it out in the wider world so everyone believes how 'marvellous' they are.

I thought her hair looked lighter too.

His girlfriend started the business a good while before he left QVC, he mentioned it on air at times. He has not mentioned any details about leaving QVC on Twitter or FB, he has not been on either, certainly not publicly.

Well like I said, it was about two years ago or more, and I'm only repeating what I read, didn't mean to offend anyone by quoting what I'd read, didn't see any harm in it myself, my mistake.

Just a thought, but all these messages of goodwill to the various presenters, like the Happy Birthdays, the messages of congratulations to weddings, births, and on the other side of the coin, the condolences - are we just doing it for ourselves ? because we have no idea whether the intended recipient ever bothers to read this site !

In a similar vein, I'm not on Twitter, but I do cringe when I see in the press that so and so has tweeted a message of condolence, or congratulations - usually the slebs, general its pr...ts like Lineker and Madeley. If they are so concerned, they should send a ****** card or pick up the phone, not put it out in the wider world so everyone believes how 'marvellous' they are.

My OP was more commenting on the irony of Jill celebrating her birthday with such a practical and unglamorous show, rather than be able to indulge in high-end beauty products, handbags or fitness stuff that she seems to genuinely enjoy presenting. Plus if I know it's someone's birthday, I'd wish them a happy birthday.

This just started because I disagreed with Shopperholic and said she is good at her job! Love her or loathe her she would not still be on our screens if she was not effective in shifting thousands of pounds worth of stock for QVC. Irrespective of whether she earns commission on top of her salary, I expect her salary is a good one, but if she cannot justify her salary by achieving sales targets she would be out on her ear.

I think Debbie Greenwood wanted more money than Q were prepared to pay based on the sales she brought in. Personally I did not find her presenting style encouraged me to buy.

I believe that Julian wanted too much money for too few hours. There is a link between the hours worked and the sales achieved. I expect if he had worked the same hours as JF then Julian would still have been on our screens.

Marverine is still on our screens so she must be responsible for shifting thousands of pounds worth of stock,I rest my case.

Well my post was just my opinion. And in my opinion they would get rid of presenters if they don't sell sell sell.

Well well, I heard one of the presenters who was accidently caught on air on camera, say "Think we've reached our target"!! So yes, they must have targets. All sales jobs have targets - part and parcel :mysmilie_7:

It would like today's TSV, no matter what they say, the aim is to sell every last one.

QVC order in 20,000, 40,000 etc, the oh we underestimated how popular this would be(crap), whilst they do the happy dance at it selling out early.

The shock and horror of the Molton Brown TSV doing so poorly (some of us got surveys asking why we did not buy??), when customers seemed to beg non stop on their Facebook for the brand to come back. QVC will not stock a brand or buy in X amount of products if they did not want them to sell. The brand does not do so well, then its bye bye very quickly.

I can't imagine that presenters don't have targets to reach, and I'm sure that they make allowances for which time of day presenters are on.

The targets for the constant night owls like Jill Franks, Debbie Flint, Ali Keenan, Jilly Halliday (who don't really do earlier than early afternoon shows, ever) will be higher, I imagine, as the later shows draw the largest audiences.

The two presenters who don't ever appear to be on our screens after lunchtime - Kathy Tayler and Simon Biagi will probably have lower targets. I'd expect Kathy's targets to be the lowest of the lot, as she doesn't do weekends.

Last edited:
This is what Julian said in his newsletter for The Craft Channel.
"Since leaving QVC, where I spent 20 happy years, I had to decide on my next plan and time was against me. I wasn’t old enough to retire and certainly not wealthy enough to do so. That's when I had the initial idea to start a small shopping channel and knew I had to approach the best people to realise this dream. "

I can't imagine that presenters don't have targets to reach, and I'm sure that they make allowances for which time of day presenters are on.

The targets for the constant night owls like Jill Franks, Debbie Flint, Ali Keenan, Jilly Halliday (who don't really do earlier than early afternoon shows, ever) will be higher, I imagine, as the later shows draw the largest audiences.

The two presenters who don't ever appear to be on our screens after lunchtime - Kathy Tayler and Simon Biagi will probably have lower targets. I'd expect Kathy's targets to be the lowest of the lot, as she doesn't do weekends.

They don't have targets, they just present, and as Julia Robersts herself has said they don't work on commission or anything like that, after all how would that be fair? You can't expect a presenter who presents an hour of loo brushes to hit the same "targets" as a presenter that presents an Elemis TSV hour, or a Decleor, or an ABC hour, or a Lola Rose TSV hour, so how exactly would that work? Every presenter would have to get the same product, at the same time of day, on the same day of the week, the same TSV on the same days at the same hour of the same day, to prove who can sell the most and hit "targets" it simply couldn't work. I'm just adding that Kathy Tayler and Simon Biagi have never done TSV launches so the people that make the discussions to hire and fire wouldn't know their "target" capability because they've never done a TSV launch to compare them, I reckon they've requested to do these hours due to family commitments.

Last edited:
They don't have targets, they just present, and as Julia Robersts herself has said they don't work on commission or anything like that, after all how would that be fair? You can't expect a presenter who presents an hour of loo brushes to hit the same "targets" as a presenter that presents an Elemis TSV hour, or a Decleor, or an ABC hour, or a Lola Rose TSV hour, so how exactly would that work? Every presenter would have to get the same product, at the same time of day, on the same day of the week, the same TSV on the same days at the same hour of the same day, to prove who can sell the most and hit "targets" it simply couldn't work.

I agree that you couldn't expect a presenter selling loo brushes to generate the same sales as one presenting the launch of a beauty TSV but that doesn't mean they can't have targets just that their targets would need to be different. Even if they did not have a specific targets e.g. generate £xk sales in a particular hour I'm sure their performance will be reviewed and if they are not performing to the required level action will be taken.

There will be performance measures - all employees / contractors are reviewed and the employer judges whether they are worth what they're paid to perform their tasks.

Off course they won't expect the same sales figures for the loo brush as for a cosmetic set or a diamonique ring - there will be projections and then the sales measured against the projections - that is how it is in retail.

Then the measure of sales vs projections and against returns with the 30 MBG will be used to assess the effectiveness of buying decisions, quality of product, popularity of brand etc.

Retail is ALL about targets - you don't sell, you don't make a profit - so the presenters will need to be chosen for their ability to sell (and continued ability...).

This is what Julian said in his newsletter for The Craft Channel.
"Since leaving QVC, where I spent 20 happy years, I had to decide on my next plan and time was against me. I wasn’t old enough to retire and certainly not wealthy enough to do so. That's when I had the initial idea to start a small shopping channel and knew I had to approach the best people to realise this dream. "

And it took two years without minimum generally RJ hours and Q pay to effect this?

Latest posts

Back