Hair extensions

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Brissles

Registered Shopper
Im neither the age or have the desire to wear 'mermaid' extensions, so having seen Catherine with hair down to her waist got me thinking about the maintenance of these extensions.
Very few women on tv now have short styles and it's fashionable to choose to have navel length hair.
So, does anyone on here have experience of these long pieces ? Is it continuous weekly visits to hairdressers? Does the hair matt when you wash it yourself ? Do you sleep in them? And how much do they cost?
I lost a lot of hair last year and the bit I had left I pinned up with a false hair scrunchie, - cost £9.99 off Amazon and few people realised it wasn't my own hair. (my hair has now grown back).
Just 🤔 wondering.

Im neither the age or have the desire to wear 'mermaid' extensions, so having seen Catherine with hair down to her waist got me thinking about the maintenance of these extensions.
Very few women on tv now have short styles and it's fashionable to choose to have navel length hair.
So, does anyone on here have experience of these long pieces ? Is it continuous weekly visits to hairdressers? Does the hair matt when you wash it yourself ? Do you sleep in them? And how much do they cost?
I lost a lot of hair last year and the bit I had left I pinned up with a false hair scrunchie, - cost £9.99 off Amazon and few people realised it wasn't my own hair. (my hair has now grown back).
Just 🤔 wondering.
Not sure but I think there are 2 types, the glued in ones and the threaded/woven ones. One of the girls in the office were I worked had the glued in ones, I was on door duty as the other two removed her extensions. They used nail polish remover to soften the glue and took the extensions out.
I've just realised there are temporary clip ins I think as well.

The clip in one's they can take off and put back on themselves. I think they need a lot of practice to get it right and their own hair has to be long enough to blend in. The Black American BA's are stitched in. This is painful and expensive. It's bad for the hair roots, too. She seems to have it taken out and replaced every 8 weeks, or so. There's also a lace cap glued on wig. I believe Ophelia wears one. Then there are Ruth's individual strand extensions, and so on, and so on. Damn nuisance, all of them, imo.

I remember when America's Next Top Model was on, and I used to watch. One girl had really short hair and Tyra decided to get her a weave in the makeover. The girl was crying with the pain and just told to suck it up, then someone from the production team checked and the girl's scalp was being pulled so tight it was dangerous, they took the weave out.

You can get natural virgin hair usually from India and very expensive or synthetic much cheaper. Virgin hair is sold by poor families to get money for the family.

The hair extension thing makes me think back in history of the massive wigs they wore, which sometimes had mice or cockroaches living in them.

I had very long extensions glued in years ago. They weren't real hair but fibre and took half a day to put in and were hugely expensive. I could only wash my hair once a week and had to use this special fibre shampoo (which also cost a fortune. I had them in for a couple of months, then had them cut shorter (with special scissors) but they were a huge faff to look after so out they came. Extensions nowadays are probably much easier to care for.

Yes, I did look like a mermaid 🧜‍♀️

CC

Latest posts

Back