Good value items

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I don’t understand the fascination with cloudy grandidierite.

It's because Gemporia urge people to buy it with the misleading claim of "It's in the top 5 rarest gemstones in the world" - so people buy it thinking they've got something extremely rare and collectable.

This claim was true prior to 2016. Grandidierite was very rare - and very valuable.

However, a new, large deposit was discovered in 2016, causing Grandidierite to flood the market. It went from being very hard to find to being readily available from almost all online gem stores.

Grandidierite is no longer in the top 5 rarest gemstones. It's not even in the top 50 any more. However, Gemporia still keep repeating the "top 5 rarest gemstones in the world" line - and they refer to information dating prior to 2016 when they put information on the screen.

I'm not a bit surprised that some of the sapphires were filled

Jim was covering on Gems TV yesterday - and he had a Colombian Emerald show.

One pendant he sold had around 10 Emeralds in. All of the stones were oiled - except for the centre stone, which was filled.

What a way to ruin a pendant. Could they seriously not find a handful of 3mm round oiled stones to ensure that all of the pendants only had oiled stones in?

For all of his droning about jade, Dave does talk straight. I have heard him say that you can get real gems for the price of a diffuser (seed pearl show i think) and yesterday he did say that the dyed freshwater are a dime a dozen. So it does help people to make more savvy choices with their pensions.

Dave is about as straight as a boomerang. Not a single word that comes out of his gob can be believed.

This is the guy that claims that Quartzite is Jade. This is the guy that claimed that Serpentine is Jade. This is the guy that claimed that Maw-Sit-Sit is Jade. This is the guy that claims that Nilamani is Sapphire.

If he told me today was Friday, I'd have to look at a calendar to check.

Dave is about as straight as a boomerang. Not a single word that comes out of his gob can be believed.

This is the guy that claims that Quartzite is Jade. This is the guy that claimed that Serpentine is Jade. This is the guy that claimed that Maw-Sit-Sit is Jade. This is the guy that claims that Nilamani is Sapphire.

If he told me today was Friday, I'd have to look at a calendar to check.
Agree 100%!

and they refer to information dating prior to 2016 when they put information on the screen.
Just a random on their info. Recently, there was a photo of vincent pardieu. He had a dark beard. And another silly thought, they keep digging out the discovery of tanzanite info, like it only happened yesterday and no one knows about it. Yes, there are those new to the 'interest', but that's what google is for :p

I don’t understand the fascination with cloudy grandidierite.
Just watched a couple of minutes of the overnight repeats. The BS has reached silly levels.

As TMWNN has said, DT still quotes the Forbes article on gemstone rarity. That article is from November 2015. Now, erm, Forbes magazine...why does that ring a bell? Oh. Right... that's the magazine that puts Innovation Geniuses on its front cover like Elizabeth Holmes and Sam Bankman-Fried. In fact, it's now a joke that, if you're featured on the cover of Forbes, you're due a visit from the US regulators and law enforcement.

The Gemporia prices for a few tiny stones (probably shockingly cut) in less than 2.1g 9K gold with melee size zircon are outrageous, (image 1). Their silver version (image 2) touched on by JoJo, was - to quote Jess Foley - "only double figures on Split Pay". The comparison was for an 18k gold ring on 1stDibs at £15K - a similarly cloudy stone for sure, but still.

You can buy online, right now, nicer cloudy versions at higher carat weights for about £45 and far more beautiful tiny stones for prices between £7 and £40 (rest of images).

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-08-04-04-32-33-467.jpeg
    Screenshot_2024-08-04-04-32-33-467.jpeg
    212.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_2024-08-04-04-36-20-875.jpeg
    Screenshot_2024-08-04-04-36-20-875.jpeg
    479.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_2024-08-04-05-19-50-276.jpeg
    Screenshot_2024-08-04-05-19-50-276.jpeg
    79 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_2024-08-04-04-50-01-142.jpeg
    Screenshot_2024-08-04-04-50-01-142.jpeg
    91.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_2024-08-04-04-50-44-516.jpeg
    Screenshot_2024-08-04-04-50-44-516.jpeg
    66.9 KB · Views: 0
Just watched a couple of minutes of the overnight repeats. The BS has reached silly levels.

As TMWNN has said, DT still quotes the Forbes article on gemstone rarity. That article is from November 2015. Now, erm, Forbes magazine...why does that ring a bell? Oh. Right... that's the magazine that puts Innovation Geniuses on its front cover like Elizabeth Holmes and Sam Bankman-Fried. In fact, it's now a joke that, if you're featured on the cover of Forbes, you're due a visit from the US regulators and law enforcement.

The Gemporia prices for a few tiny stones (probably shockingly cut) in less than 2.1g 9K gold with melee size zircon are outrageous, (image 1). Their silver version (image 2) touched on by JoJo, was - to quote Jess Foley - "only double figures on Split Pay". The comparison was for an 18k gold ring on 1stDibs at £15K - a similarly cloudy stone for sure, but still.

You can buy online, right now, nicer cloudy versions at higher carat weights for about £45 and far more beautiful tiny stones for prices between £7 and £40 (rest of images).
The clear stones they showed in that show was the first time i’ve seen what i would consider nice jewelry grade stones. The cloudy stuff looked like glacial ice.

I laughed pretty hard at this cognac number being flogged yesterday as a loss leader. Squint and you might see the 0.15ct. 😂😂😂Looks like gemporia is going to try to grade their brown diamonds to be a poor mans levian. I personally don’t like the brown diamonds and they flooded the market in Australia in the early 2000, everyone had one for a cheap price- even I got one as a birthday present which i never wore because it was as enticing as smokey quartz. They were considered a by product. You’ll find plenty in pawn shops.

Attachments

• IMG_4930.png
    IMG_4930.png
    745.8 KB · Views: 0
The clear stones they showed in that show was the first time i’ve seen what i would consider nice jewelry grade stones. The cloudy stuff looked like glacial ice.
Agreed, although a bit wishy-washy and possibly windowed in cut. I'd prefer the colour of one of those in the pictures I posted. DT said that silver rock was "gem grade" and "translucent" 🙄😀. You can buy a pretty Amazonite ring on Gemporia for £30.

I laughed pretty hard at this cognac number being flogged yesterday as a loss leader. Squint and you might see the 0.15ct. 😂😂😂Looks like gemporia is going to try to grade their brown diamonds to be a poor mans levian. I personally don’t like the brown diamonds and they flooded the market in Australia in the early 2000, everyone had one for a cheap price- even I got one as a birthday present which i never wore because it was as enticing as smokey quartz. They were considered a by product. You’ll find plenty in pawn shops.
Yep. Do love a nice cognac quartz though and a well-cut sphene in that colour palette too.

Just listening to Ellis at the moment with a pair of 1/2 carat diamond earrings. Between the emphasis on ‘large size’ (4mm) and the constant reference to the plunge in the price of ‘Lab Grown Diamonds’ she has neglected to tell us valued customers the colour and the grade. I had to go online to check that they were H-I and I3. About as transparent as their diamonds.

Just listening to Ellis at the moment with a pair of 1/2 carat diamond earrings. Between the emphasis on ‘large size’ (4mm) and the constant reference to the plunge in the price of ‘Lab Grown Diamonds’ she has neglected to tell us valued customers the colour and the grade. I had to go online to check that they were H-I and I3. About as transparent as their diamonds.
I don’t know how bad their I3 look but if they are opaque and dead, at 0.25ct ea at least no one will see them. The queensland opsl triplet is back. It looks like bits of opal crmb put togegher on resin rather than a slice. Opal has layers of colour in drifts, not like cut up tinsel.

Interesting too that Ellis’s commissioned multicolor sapphire ring was back today. If i remember correctly it was $1,000 AUD two weeks ago. $683 today. Price pledge I hope?

The yellow diamond daisy ring was pretty, though.

Attachments

• IMG_4937.png
    IMG_4937.png
    661 KB · Views: 0
A question, that may have been asked / answered elsewhere, but as you're a 'native', is / was Argyle as 'rammed down your throat' in Australia as much as it is in the UK, re it's closure etc? Or is it just hype? Thanks ;)

A question, that may have been asked / answered elsewhere, but as you're a 'native', is / was Argyle as 'rammed down your throat' in Australia as much as it is in the UK, re it's closure etc? Or is it just hype? Thanks ;)
Australian shopping TV (TVSN) does use that angle for the barely pink diamonds and leVian chocolate. They don’t really sell the champagne anymore as it’s not popular. In the early 2000’s, Argyle was promoted in luxury campaigns for the vivid pink. They mention Argyle more in the context of repatriating the land for traditional custodians. There is more awareness around cultural heritage of land now. https://amp.abc.net.au/article/12902012

Australian shopping TV (TVSN) does use that angle for the barely pink diamonds and leVian chocolate. They don’t really sell the champagne anymore as it’s not popular. In the early 2000’s, Argyle was promoted in luxury campaigns for the vivid pink. They mention Argyle more in the context of repatriating the land for traditional custodians. There is more awareness around cultural heritage of land now. https://amp.abc.net.au/article/12902012
Interesting article. 2020, I see it was written, so if all goes to plan, it should all be noticeable next year. 5 year plan. I don't know if they have already, but considering Gemporia is supposed to be ethical and 'for the earth' type sellers, that is the sort of article they should have talked about when allegedly finishing selling the stone. Barramundi scales being diamonds (I read it ;) ) And if you're talking as a business, the giving back to the land and it's custodians would also show that there would be 'no more' first hand diamonds from that location, as it's going back to nature.

I don’t know how bad their I3 look but if they are opaque and dead, at 0.25ct ea at least no one will see them. The queensland opsl triplet is back. It looks like bits of opal crmb put togegher on resin rather than a slice. Opal has layers of colour in drifts, not like cut up tinsel.

Interesting too that Ellis’s commissioned multicolor sapphire ring was back today. If i remember correctly it was $1,000 AUD two weeks ago. $683 today. Price pledge I hope?

The yellow diamond daisy ring was pretty, though.
Yes, i saw the original showing and was surprised to see it again. She mentioned that they had 15, so perhaps they were returns. She did mention that that they would honour the price pledge.

Interesting article. 2020, I see it was written, so if all goes to plan, it should all be noticeable next year. 5 year plan. I don't know if they have already, but considering Gemporia is supposed to be ethical and 'for the earth' type sellers, that is the sort of article they should have talked about when allegedly finishing selling the stone. Barramundi scales being diamonds (I read it ;) ) And if you're talking as a business, the giving back to the land and it's custodians would also show that there would be 'no more' first hand diamonds from that location, as it's going back to nature.
i think with most Argyle parcels, they are purchased through diamond dealers so they are too far removed from the mine or Australia to claim any benefits re repatriation. It’s still contentious and RT did some major damage recently at another Pilbara site https://theconversation.com/rio-tin...iginal-site-heres-why-that-was-allowed-139466

i think with most Argyle parcels, they are purchased through diamond dealers so they are too far removed from the mine or Australia to claim any benefits re repatriation. It’s still contentious and RT did some major damage recently at another Pilbara site https://theconversation.com/rio-tin...iginal-site-heres-why-that-was-allowed-139466
That is tantamount to racism. Doesn't matter about the indigenous population with history in the 1000s, not just 100s. We can do what we want. All that history. Stating the obvious, history takes millennia to make and can be gone in moments. I know that's a tangent, but, makes my blood boil, and NOT just because of the lost history, but the lack of respect for traditions of those who have had longer on the land to make that history. Besides that. Look at all that knowledge gone in a blink.

Bezel set too by the looks of things - so that tiny stone will look even tinier when a further 15% of it is lost from having to wrap the edge of the metal over the stone.

Latest posts

Back