GHD Style Lounge TSV Sat 20th June

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Following on from my earlier question and the very helpful replies, would this TSV be suitable for my shortish layered hair then?

Why not put it on cheque hold BL then ring a couple of local salons and see if they sell them and what price they go for. My son has short layered hair that sort of covers his ears and down the nape of his neck and he uses the small (narrow) ones. My middle size ones are a bit too wide for him ( he has borrowed on occasions and finds he doesnt have the same control)and the very wide ones would be no good whatsoever for him.

If you can get to a salon that sells them, they may even have some of their own ghds that you can try in both sizes. You can tell them you will give it some thought and come away to think about it. You dont want to have to waste two lots of P&P if you dont have to.

Bet

Don't know if any of my wise fellow qvc watchers can help with this one - but I hope so! I have taken my GHD's (version IV but an early version of the model) abroad (well on an American cruise ship) and found they didn't fully heat up using and adaptor, despite what I've heard claimed - however, my version doesn't have the universal plug and I wondered if this would make any difference - has anyone tried one of these universal plugs abroad and if so, how was it? Have put a tsv on cheque hold as we are going on holiday soon and I dread to think of how bad my hair will look without my beloved GHD's!!

I'm liking the look of the 5 piece travel and go with the hairdryer. Just checked their site and it's only £38.20 with free p&p on there. £44 on QVC.

BusyLizzie
VIP Shopper Join Date: Jun 2008
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Following on from my earlier question and the very helpful replies, would this TSV be suitable for my shortish layered hair then?

Why not put it on cheque hold BL then ring a couple of local salons and see if they sell them and what price they go for. My son has short layered hair that sort of covers his ears and down the nape of his neck and he uses the small (narrow) ones. My middle size ones are a bit too wide for him ( he has borrowed on occasions and finds he doesnt have the same control)and the very wide ones would be no good whatsoever for him.

If you can get to a salon that sells them, they may even have some of their own ghds that you can try in both sizes. You can tell them you will give it some thought and come away to think about it. You dont want to have to waste two lots of P&P if you dont have to.

Bet

GHD Mini Styler - "The GHD IV Mini Styler (1 cm wide plates) is perfect for curling and waving longer hair (even those spiral curls) as well as straightening short hair, making it ideal for short hair and can be used by men as well as women."

The best price I could find online for the Mini Styler from an approved GHD stockist is £85.00 + £4.95 P&P (via nextday FedEx). It's the 'Radiance' set which includes bonus items from Benefit - it looks nice!

http://www.thefunkygroup.co.uk/cat-3-subcat-55-product-919

Hope this helps... :happy:

Last edited:
Don't know if any of my wise fellow qvc watchers can help with this one - but I hope so! I have taken my GHD's (version IV but an early version of the model) abroad (well on an American cruise ship) and found they didn't fully heat up using and adaptor, despite what I've heard claimed - however, my version doesn't have the universal plug and I wondered if this would make any difference - has anyone tried one of these universal plugs abroad and if so, how was it? Have put a tsv on cheque hold as we are going on holiday soon and I dread to think of how bad my hair will look without my beloved GHD's!!

Do you actually have to flick a switch or something to make it change voltage????

I had the same problem the first time I went to the US with a travel hairdryer. I was complaining the hubby that I would have to buy a new one as I had spent over a week with a trickle of heat trying to dry my hair - he took one look and flicked a switch and it was instantly more powerful Ooops:emo:

Well, its advanced orders only now. Expected delivery 13th July I think. This seems the norm now with QVC but at least getting it on advanced order gives people time to think instead of being panicked into buying!

Bet

Do you actually have to flick a switch or something to make it change voltage????

I had the same problem the first time I went to the US with a travel hairdryer. I was complaining the hubby that I would have to buy a new one as I had spent over a week with a trickle of heat trying to dry my hair - he took one look and flicked a switch and it was instantly more powerful Ooops:emo:

I've got a pink version IV set (not the pink ones they have now the set from the previous year) and there's no switch to change the voltage. I've taken them abroad with no problems but only to Europe not America. I've always taken them in hand luggage as I could manage if I lost all my other stuff but managing without them is unthinkable!

I'm liking the look of the 5 piece travel and go with the hairdryer. Just checked their site and it's only £38.20 with free p&p on there. £44 on QVC.

Make sure you have a look at the reviews Petpixie - after my experience with the purple GHD hairdryer which almost caught fire in my hand the first time I switched it on - downright dangerous. I took a look to see if I was the only one - several reviewers complain about it actually sucking your hair into the dryer and then having to cut the hair to get it out.

Also the other complaint about the cord being very short was justified - I found that I had a job to reach the mirror from even the nearest plug.

I was stunned to watch the presentation for this product, during the whole presentation , not once was any mention of what makes GHD better than the rest and what is special about this styler other than the packaging, well I can tell you its advertising and hype, if all you can say about a product is that its in a snazzy case and a posh box and comes with a free mirror, then the conclusions are obvious. please girls its a recession, wise up and stop wasting your cash on over hyped products... puts me in mind of rosie webster and her penny chews handbag!
By the way my hairdressing professional (over 20 years in the business) says when asked about what makes GHd special said " I'm not convinced they are that special .... it's all hype" there are plenty of equally good products out there at less than half the price.

I agree that the presentation isn't great (as is often the case on QVC IMHO!) but I don't agree that GHD is all hype having owned mine for over 5 years now.

I'd gone though lots of pairs of cheaper straighteners and been hugely disppointed with them before I finally succombed to a pair of GHDs. I use them practically every day and they are still going strong 5 years later. If we work that out at (an underestimate) of 300 times a year it works out at something like 6p a day (based on what I paid!) To me 6p a day is well worth the good hair days that I have and the confidence I feel if my hair looks good! Also, my hairdresser also comments on the great condition of my hair so they've not damaged my hair in any way (unlike some of the cheaper pairs I'd trialled!)

Just my thoughts!

Em xXx

I agree that the presentation isn't great (as is often the case on QVC IMHO!) but I don't agree that GHD is all hype having owned mine for over 5 years now.

I'd gone though lots of pairs of cheaper straighteners and been hugely disppointed with them before I finally succombed to a pair of GHDs. I use them practically every day and they are still going strong 5 years later. If we work that out at (an underestimate) of 300 times a year it works out at something like 6p a day (based on what I paid!) To me 6p a day is well worth the good hair days that I have and the confidence I feel if my hair looks good! Also, my hairdresser also comments on the great condition of my hair so they've not damaged my hair in any way (unlike some of the cheaper pairs I'd trialled!)

Just my thoughts!

Em xXx

I'm inclined to agree. I've had mine for about five years and wouldn't go back to a cheaper brand. QVC don't do a good job in selling them, IMO. They should make more of the technical features, rather than making a song and dance about the leopard print styling.

I was stunned to watch the presentation for this product, during the whole presentation , not once was any mention of what makes GHD better than the rest and what is special about this styler other than the packaging, well I can tell you its advertising and hype, if all you can say about a product is that its in a snazzy case and a posh box and comes with a free mirror, then the conclusions are obvious. please girls its a recession, wise up and stop wasting your cash on over hyped products... puts me in mind of rosie webster and her penny chews handbag!
By the way my hairdressing professional (over 20 years in the business) says when asked about what makes GHd special said " I'm not convinced they are that special .... it's all hype" there are plenty of equally good products out there at less than half the price.

I know a hairdresser who says that too....only I think she is just won't spend the money but it is a false economy as she has bought at least 4 'cheap' pairs over the last few years. Also when she uses them she pulls and tugs at your hair....many things are hyped up but not ghd's. I know many women who had untamed hair before GHD'S and now without much effort they can have straight hair. I know it is horses for courses but this is how I feel.

fluffy pink girly joy!

I saw the presentation this morning at 8 and I thought
it was hysterical. It must be one of the worst presentations
on QVC for such hyped up expensive styling stuff.
What recession!
All they wittered on about was what it looked like and not what I
really wanted to know which was how it proposed to work wonders
on my fine shoulder length boring hair and not fry it!
Taking into account how cack handed I am anyway.
BONUS!
This Bet Lynch dream kit could also be put on display in the hallway for everyone to see (they could caress it as they passed by!)
or you could take it in to work for all your female colleagues to drool over.
Its just so much more than a hair styling bit of kit.

Sorry but dont agree I've had cheaper brands, and thought the same as you, but then last Xmas I was bought a pair of ghd's and they are fantastic I only wish I had believed the "hype" years ago. I have very unruly curly hair and I choose to straighten it most days, but with the ghd,s I straighten it once and then it'll last for a couple of days, only having to retouch up my fringe.

Do straighteners damage the hair very much?

Yes, they can, but if you look after your hair, you can avoid a lot of damage.

I have my hair coloured monthly, chemically straightened quarterly and blow-dry and GHD almost daily. If I'm not careful, my hair can look destroyed! I use a combination of oils and protein to keep my hair in good nick. I use PK's Elasticizer at least twice a week and oil a few other times. My first foray into oil was with Ojon, but these days I'll use anything (though I think my fave is good old olive). My hair liked Ojon, but both DH and I hated the smell. As I sleep in oils some nights, I had to find something not so whiffy or I'd find myself sleeping alone! For protein, I'd use Joico's K-Pak or Redken's Deep Fuel sachets once a fortnight (but if you use protein always follow with a moisturising conditioner).

I've recently discovered Lee Stafford's treatments and think they're fab for anyone on a budget (or those who aren't!). He does a protein mask and a moisturing treatment and hats off to him as his is the only protein treatment I've used that states on the label to use a conditioner after use. I've been using his stuff exclusively for the last month, alternating the "Hair That Won't Grow Past a Certain Length" and "Bling" and my hair's stayed in good nick. If I waver and just use S&C my hair starts splitting within days.

I don't use a heat spray before straightening as it always makes my hair sticky and seems to cause more splits, but I do use either Samy's smooth serum or Biosilk serum before drying.

Having said all that, you may be lucky, like my niece - she just uses Pantene S&C and occasionally uses a serum, but suffers no damage despite GHDing three or four times a week. If I did that, I'd be left with Worzel hair!

Just to add, I've tried several different brands of straighteners (including high end Babyliss ones) and none leave my hair as straight for as long as my GHDs. All the others also seemed to encourage splitting, too, especially the pair of Remingtons I had. Being a bit of a cynic, I thought it was hype, too, but I wouldn't use anything else now.

Our Bet Lynch is a fine woman who knows what to do with a set of GHDs :D

Aww bless you Vampy :blush:. I remember using a cheaper brand a few years ago. My hair didnt glide through it smoothly and I ended up with lots of broken short bits of hair on my shoulders......it sometimes looked like I had just been trimmed :sad:. I also had to go over the same section over and over - I'm sure thats why it was so brittle. GHD's are well worth the money in my humble opinion as mine have lasted five years and are still going strong (touch wood :taphead:).

I honestly think that if there was a better straightener out there, whether it cost less or not, our ladies on here would know about it and would have shared the joy.

Bet

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back