Gemporia Online

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Ant7t

Registered Shopper
I know this could have been put somewhere in the 'sinking' or the 'predictions' threads but I'm just awkward: noticed? Anyhoo. we all know they have an online presence, but here is my question.

Do you think Gemporia et al would fare better if they were purely an online presence? I know JM is 'basically' online (at least to me ;) ) I just thought of the fact that both Woolworth and Debenhams (the two I know of) are still online, if not on the street, or in the case of Gems and Co, on the TV.

It depends what you mean by online only?
Do you mean not broadcasting and selling purely through a static website?
Or do you mean like they've done with Gem Collector, where there are live shows with presenters but only available via streaming?

I like the interaction of the live shows, the chance to see a piece being handled (for scale and to check quality of stones).

I very rarely look at any jewellery websites. So if Gemporia went online only, with no live presenters, I likely wouldn't be a customer.

It depends what you mean by online only?
Do you mean not broadcasting and selling purely through a static website?
Or do you mean like they've done with Gem Collector, where there are live shows with presenters but only available via streaming?

I like the interaction of the live shows, the chance to see a piece being handled (for scale and to check quality of stones).

I very rarely look at any jewellery websites. So if Gemporia went online only, with no live presenters, I likely wouldn't be a customer.
I meant static. But I agree, some interaction would be good, but would that 'save' them money and make them any better?

No. I think it would be the final nail in the coffin for them.

If they were 'online only', they'd be in direct competition with H Samuel and F Hinds. The only difference is, people know H Samuel and F Hinds because they're also in their High Street. Unless people already know about Gemporia, they're not going to be able to compete online.

The difference with Gemporia being on TV is that although their jewellery and prices are similar to those of H Samuel and F Hinds, their customer base will be different. The people that shop in H Samuel or F Hinds will be customers that are either specifically looking to buy jewellery - or people that have £50 surplus in their wallet, walk past the shop, see something they like, and think, "Oh, I quite fancy that and I've got that much in my purse - I'll treat myself" - and end up buying it.

Gemporia's customers are different. I doubt very much that people tune in SPECIFICALLY to buy an item of jewellery. I would imagine that most people have Gemporia on throughout the day as 'background telly', usually when there's nothing else on the TV. They'll look at the screen now and again, they'll see something they like and think "Oh, I like that - I'll buy it".

I don't think anyone tunes in to Gemporia thinking "I really want to buy a 9k gold Aquamarine ring with Tanzanite on the shoulders. I want it to have an oval main stone with round accent stones. Oh, and it must be between £200 to £200". Lets face it, if people wanted to buy something specific, they'd probably go to a jewellers that offers something more bespoke. This is why the Arthur Ivy collection and 'Museum' pieces don't work on Gemporia/Gem Collector. Do they seriously believe that people have a surplus £20,000+ in their bank account to spend on a 'spur of the moment' opportunist purchase?

If Gemporia was to switch to 'online only', they will lose those kinds of 'spur of the moment' purchase customers.

Not only that, but if Gemporia was to switch to online only, then their business model would change - and therefore, so would their prices. Gemporia on TV has the advantage of bulk selling 100 pendants in 3 minutes for the reasons stated above - people tune in, think "Oh I like that", and will buy it. They have thousands of viewers at a time. It's inevitable that some of those people will like it and buy it as a 'spontaneous' purchase.

100 pendants sat on a website would probably take days/weeks/months to shift. That means stock is tied up. That means higher prices.

So, no, I don't think it would work.

If they're struggling to sell now when they have thousands of viewers tuning in, then they'll certainly struggle when they have occasional website visitors.

If they were 'online only', they'd be in direct competition with H Samuel and F Hinds. The only difference is, people know H Samuel and F Hinds because they're also in their High Street. Unless people already know about Gemporia, they're not going to be able to compete online.

The difference with Gemporia being on TV is that although their jewellery and prices are similar to those of H Samuel and F Hinds, their customer base will be different. The people that shop in H Samuel or F Hinds will be customers that are either specifically looking to buy jewellery - or people that have £50 surplus in their wallet, walk past the shop, see something they like, and think, "Oh, I quite fancy that and I've got that much in my purse - I'll treat myself" - and end up buying it.

Gemporia's customers are different. I doubt very much that people tune in SPECIFICALLY to buy an item of jewellery. I would imagine that most people have Gemporia on throughout the day as 'background telly', usually when there's nothing else on the TV. They'll look at the screen now and again, they'll see something they like and think "Oh, I like that - I'll buy it".

I don't think anyone tunes in to Gemporia thinking "I really want to buy a 9k gold Aquamarine ring with Tanzanite on the shoulders. I want it to have an oval main stone with round accent stones. Oh, and it must be between £200 to £200". Lets face it, if people wanted to buy something specific, they'd probably go to a jewellers that offers something more bespoke. This is why the Arthur Ivy collection and 'Museum' pieces don't work on Gemporia/Gem Collector. Do they seriously believe that people have a surplus £20,000+ in their bank account to spend on a 'spur of the moment' opportunist purchase?

If Gemporia was to switch to 'online only', they will lose those kinds of 'spur of the moment' purchase customers.

Not only that, but if Gemporia was to switch to online only, then their business model would change - and therefore, so would their prices. Gemporia on TV has the advantage of bulk selling 100 pendants in 3 minutes for the reasons stated above - people tune in, think "Oh I like that", and will buy it. They have thousands of viewers at a time. It's inevitable that some of those people will like it and buy it as a 'spontaneous' purchase.

100 pendants sat on a website would probably take days/weeks/months to shift. That means stock is tied up. That means higher prices.

If they're struggling to sell now when they have thousands of viewers tuning in, then they'll certainly struggle when they have occasional website visitors.
You've sold me on the idea of it not being a viable proposition to 'save' them. (y) T'was just a thought ;)

I wish their website had static prices nevermind anything else. Items on my wishlist change prices every few hours, it's maddening.
For example, a diamond necklace on the website was £1500, then £799. On Jeff's wheel at weekend it went back up to £1500 and Katie reduced as usual but to £899. Then they had a Spring Sale on the website. 30% off. There was the necklace back up at £1500. 30% off @ £1050. What is the true price of the damn necklace.

I wish their website had static prices nevermind anything else. Items on my wishlist change prices every few hours, it's maddening.
For example, a diamond necklace on the website was £1500, then £799. On Jeff's wheel at weekend it went back up to £1500 and Katie reduced as usual but to £899. Then they had a Spring Sale on the website. 30% off. There was the necklace back up at £1500. 30% off @ £1050. What is the true price of the damn necklace.

I can understand them charging a little more, in order to make the online auctions seem more viable - but some of their static prices are ludicrous.

I cannot see how they possibly sell a single item on the Gem Collector website because the static prices are beyond ridiculous.

Probably £799 is nearer to the actual price. Whatever the company on-air says, I highly doubt that even the cheapest cost is non-profit or 'below cost' if they use that line. I feel an aside coming on. Gardeners (usually those 'try it on' types). "I'll do it for £600". You quibble, and they reduce it to £300. Meaning the lower price is the 'actual' price with a little profit and they are just trying it on. NO ONE can reduce it that much and not make something extra at the end of the job / sale.

I cannot see how they possibly sell a single item on the Gem Collector website because the static prices are beyond ridiculous.
I had a thought yesterday and seeing this reminded me of it. The CoAs on Gemporia, although still free have become very flimsy (cutting costs obviously). JM, you pay for them (more money even if it is only 25p or whatever extra per CoA. Whereas, as I write, the GC CoAs are still the thicker card. Does that imply that they are not doing well (GC) so consequently they still have stock with the old 'cards' and don't need to print anymore on the thinner stock card?

If I were spending megabucks on a piece of jewellery I wouldn't buy it from shopping telly. I'd want to see it in real life up close and personal before buying. And telling me something is a 'Museum' piece wouldn't exactly convince me to buy it - perhaps I could say my small collection of loose gemstones are 'Museum pieces', but it wouldn't imply they were of exceptional quality. And some of the stones I've seen in the past on Gem Collector that were supposedly Museum pieces didn't impress me at all.

I know this could have been put somewhere in the 'sinking' or the 'predictions' threads but I'm just awkward: noticed? Anyhoo. we all know they have an online presence, but here is my question.

Do you think Gemporia et al would fare better if they were purely an online presence? I know JM is 'basically' online (at least to me ;) ) I just thought of the fact that both Woolworth and Debenhams (the two I know of) are still online, if not on the street, or in the case of Gems and Co, on the TV.
I don't watch much these days. I flick in and I flick out. But I would do this even less if they were just online.

I had a thought yesterday and seeing this reminded me of it. The CoAs on Gemporia, although still free have become very flimsy (cutting costs obviously). JM, you pay for them (more money even if it is only 25p or whatever extra per CoA. Whereas, as I write, the GC CoAs are still the thicker card. Does that imply that they are not doing well (GC) so consequently they still have stock with the old 'cards' and don't need to print anymore on the thinner stock card?
Not sure with the GC items that can be assumed.

I recently (last six months or so) bought a cat's eye rutilated quartz cab. The sort of item they have often on their Daily Deals page at a very standard £29.99 price. Waited and waited and then took a punt on one of Emily's shows, sent in a Demo Request and got it for a fiver less. Looking at online prices elsewhere for similar, not a rip off at all.

Lovely thing, heavily rutilated with copper coloured inclusions and a very distinct cat's eye effect, which sparkles like crazy in the sun. Love it.

The CoA was one of the very original "peel off sticker" varieties. So, on GC certainly, it will depend on the age of the stock item.

The JM 'certificates' are next to useless. They're printed on paper, and most of the time, they don't even state the treatments.

Immediate Media brought this idea in of paying separately for 'certificates' - and they originally started at 5p. Gemporia carried it on because they obviously saw it as another money making scheme.

The bizarre thing is, they'll charge you for the useless paper certificates - but on stones that they've taken from the GC vault to sell on JM, they'll provide the original plastic cards free of charge still - despite them being far better quality and far more informative.

EDIT: Yes, Andy is correct. Some of the oldest old stock from Gem Collector still come with the original laminated CoA's with a photo of a stone (not necessarily the exact stone you bought - unless it was a one-of-a-kind stone).

Then they brought out the thicker plastic cards around 6 years ago on the 'newer' old stones.

Then within the last 18 months or so, the plastic cards became about half as thin.

The JM 'paid-for' CoA's are a totally different format again, and, completely useless and not worth the money.

Last edited:
If I were spending megabucks on a piece of jewellery I wouldn't buy it from shopping telly. I'd want to see it in real life up close and personal before buying. And telling me something is a 'Museum' piece wouldn't exactly convince me to buy it - perhaps I could say my small collection of loose gemstones are 'Museum pieces', but it wouldn't imply they were of exceptional quality. And some of the stones I've seen in the past on Gem Collector that were supposedly Museum pieces didn't impress me at all.

I've seen their Morganite that was in the Gemporia museum 'in the flesh'. Whilst its size was impressive (I believe it is, or was, the largest Morganite in the world), its appearance wasn't. It had an odd 'haze/foggy' appearance to it when you look inside.

I notice they had sold it a couple of times on Gem Collector (for an eye watering amount too) - and it reappeared again at later dates, which would suggest it was sent back by whoever bought it.

I've seen their Morganite that was in the Gemporia museum 'in the flesh'. Whilst its size was impressive (I believe it is, or was, the largest Morganite in the world), its appearance wasn't. It had an odd 'haze/foggy' appearance to it when you look inside.

I notice they had sold it a couple of times on Gem Collector (for an eye watering amount too) - and it reappeared again at later dates, which would suggest it was sent back by whoever bought it.
Talking of the museum, Adina just said she wished 'you' (aka the audience) could see it. I know they used to do studio tours, but she was talking like it never was. If she had said, '......you could still visit it'. And if that piece was sold, maybe they changed their minds, rather than sending it back after receiving.

Talking of the museum, Adina just said she wished 'you' (aka the audience) could see it. I know they used to do studio tours, but she was talking like it never was. If she had said, '......you could still visit it'. And if that piece was sold, maybe they changed their minds, rather than sending it back after receiving.

I don't know why they stopped the studio tours because they used to have some really interesting rare mineral specimens in there.

I was lucky enough to see it a looooong time ago, before the visits stopped and before they sold off some of the museum pieces.

I don't know why they stopped the studio tours because they used to have some really interesting rare mineral specimens in there.

I was lucky enough to see it a looooong time ago, before the visits stopped and before they sold off some of the museum pieces.
I remember them, but it was too far for me to travel to go.

When the items on your wishlist become available, you'll be offered them at the original auction price.

I'd guess this has happened quite a bit, where people get these 'unique' pieces home and then see that the appearance is hazy or muddy-looking. I noticed a few so-called Museum items that Alex sold with a big fanfare about how unique they were (this was a while back when there was all the hoo-ha for weeks before about some of the Museum pieces being sold). But I saw a couple of the pieces back on screen again in a week or two, and there were probably others shown when I'd not been watching.

I'd be ****** furious if I was a newish viewer and had paid a lot for an item, thinking I was getting something of exceptional quality from the company's museum. Camera work can make these stones look much better than they are, but it should be shown like it is, so that people are in no doubt what they're getting.

Camera work can make these stones look much better than they are, but it should be shown like it is, so that people are in no doubt what they're getting.
They harp on, forever, about the studio lights and no natural light in the building. So 'nothing' is as good as it is in real life. Allegedly.

Latest posts

Back